Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2014, 02:23 AM   #21
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Glad we opted for fabric rather than leather.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #22
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

Glad we opted for fabric rather than leather.
Well the metal piece that broke loose on our recliner is also in the fabric version, and fabric would be cut by that as well, so be careful.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:21 AM   #23
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I don't strap the recliners to the floor. I put them back-to-back with a little pressure against each other, and use two adjustable straps around the backs to keep them that way. A throw rug goes in between most of the time but not always. Never had them move.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:04 AM   #24
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
We just put them back to back and move them in tight against each other. No straps or rugs and they have been traveling fine that way for a lot of miles....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #25
Billorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13379
[quote]quote:Originally posted by MDL

We'll be getting the same trailer any time now. Do you cover the island, or is there any issue with the chairs rubbing on it while in transit without protection?

Quote:
Originally posted by Billorn

We have always stored face to face with the island between them. We have never had a problem with anything moving or getting damaged.
[/quotewe do strap the chairs down, but ]we've never covered the island and have never had a problem with the island rubbing the chairs the only thing we do is put a pillow between the end of the island and back of the trailer to keep the island from shifting back while traveling and rubbing on the back of the trailer.
Billorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #26
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Great input, thank you!!!
[quote]quote:Originally posted by Billorn

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MDL

We'll be getting the same trailer any time now. Do you cover the island, or is there any issue with the chairs rubbing on it while in transit without protection?

Quote:

We have always stored face to face with the island between them. We have never had a problem with anything moving or getting damaged.
[/quotewe do strap the chairs down, but ]we've never covered the island and have never had a problem with the island rubbing the chairs the only thing we do is put a pillow between the end of the island and back of the trailer to keep the island from shifting back while traveling and rubbing on the back of the trailer.
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:29 AM   #27
Billorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13379
[quote]quote:Originally posted by MDL

Great input, thank you!!!
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Billorn

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MDL

Quote:

You're welcome, BTW Lizanne and I love the floor plan, I hope you enjoy your new trailer.
Billorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:42 AM   #28
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
When we bought our new Big Sky, our recliners had a 3" gouge in them from the end table that they put in between the chairs when the RV was shipped. Luckily, we noticed it and the dealer drop shipped new chairs to us. We contacted a local Grand Designs Dealer and traded in the recliners with their theater seating. Easier to move and because they do not swivel or rock, they are solid when transporting. Great chairs and they fit a 6'4" big guy.

http://x.co/4091A
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #29
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Got rid of the recliners that came with the 3800RE...brown fabric and uncomfortable. Two stress-free recliners replaced them which are lighter, more comfortable, and came with footstools that have storage in them. They recline easily and have handles that allow them to be locked in place. Not even worried about towing down the road with them not secured to the floor... I will revisit that decision after towing to Nevada and New Mexico where we will spend from May to the end of October this year. John
Old 03-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #30
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
We quickly learned to turn the chairs back to back after damaging the window treatments.

We put a pillow between the two backs and it stays put.

The original straps are used but the snaps snaps that secured the strap to the floor pad eyes
were tossed for a decent snap shackle. The arms, where the hold down straps contact, are padded
with cheap towels so they don't abrade the arm rests.

We also wrap a 2" wide strap around the backs to minimize movement and hold the pillow in place.

And yes, ours did move, sometimes hitting the rear window.
So i also used a 2x6, carpet wrapped, and cut around the pad eyes and the chairs are much
friendlier to the rear window. Unless you really look the 2x6 just blends into the floor.
Your needs may differ but the chairs, to me , should be secured.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #31
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
I think part of the problem is that in 2014, they switch the type of recliner to one that rocks and swivels. So even with them strapped down, they still can move independently and bang into each other. I think this is what caused my problem. I'm going to contact Keystone about this to see if they can work on a fix.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote