Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Interesting development regarding PDI - U-bolts

I cannot remember if George posted about this or not, but even if so, it bears repeating. George is who clued me and the dealership in on this and it needs added to all PDI inspections. Both of our rigs were checked for the proper torque settings on the suspension u-bolts. Amazingly, both of our rigs checked out exactly the same, and it is disturbing to say the least. Of the eight u-bolts, seven did not meet the 60 pound torque requirements. Both rigs, seven out of eight u-bolts were not torqued properly. I also had the torque on the lug nuts checked as well, and there were again a few that had to be tightened down. I watched the service tech check the u-bolts, and was totally amazed when several had to be turned more than a half turn to meet torque specs. The dealership has informed us that the u-bolt torque will be checked on all subsequent orders. I know it is a pain, but as previously reported many, many times on this forum, everyone needs to check these bolts. They are one of the most critical areas on your rig!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same here on the U bolt torque on our 2013 Big Sky. Nothing has changed...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Several years ago at the Rally I brought up the U bolt question. We were told they were all correct from the factory so I asked for hands on how many had to tighten them and almost everyone in the room raised their hands (the others probably went back to their rigs to check them). Seems like they should have learned something from that.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Ok now another thing for me to worry about! What's a U bolt? How do I ask for them to be checked? Do I say " btw I have concerns "U bolts" are not tight? No joke remember I am not a gear head! Thanks oh and be easy on me, I am like the "Leg Lamp box" in "A Christmas Story". Fragiley?
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
They are the u-shaped bolts that attach the suspension system to the axles. If you look under your rig, you will see eight sets, two on each end of each axle. The u-bolts will be facing up with the nuts to be checked on top of the axles. (Thanks Carl)
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

They are the u-shaped bolts that attach the suspension system to the axles. If you look under your rig, you will see eight sets, two on each end of each axle. The bolts will facing down.
Bingo
Thanks Bingo. I will assign task to one of my "minions"! Your a gentleman !
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Please report your findings back, I have a hunch they will need tightened.
Bingo
Old 11-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:

They are the u-shaped bolts that attach the suspension system to the axles. If you look under your rig, you will see eight sets, two on each end of each axle. The bolts will facing down.
Bingo
Uh, don't the U bolts point up with the nuts on top of the spring plates???

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Yes, mine have the nuts on top of the spring plates. When I checked mine back in May when we bought it, most every one were not @ 60 lbs.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
You are absolutely correct Carl, the U-Bolts are indeed facing up with the nuts on top of the plate. This configuration is called "over slung" meaning the springs are over the axles.

It is also important to know what the torque should be and to not over tighten the bolts. Ours are 1/2" U bolts and should be torqued to a minimum of 45 lbs and a maximum of 70 lbs as per Dexter Axle's Operation Maintenance Service Manual, page 53.

http://www.united-trailers.com/Uploa...s/Manual_6.pdf

Do not assume the dealer will know what the torque should be, heck most of the time they are shipped with improper torque, and Keystone sure does not check them.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Carl is correct, I looked on the MorRyde website and saw this diagram:

Re System

And then looked back at my pictures of the X-Factor install for the 3750 and they indeed are reversed.

Sorry for the misinformation that I will correct.

Bingo
Old 11-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:

Carl is correct, I looked on the MorRyde website and saw this diagram:

Re System

And then looked back at my pictures of the X-Factor install for the 3750 and they indeed are reversed.

Sorry for the misinformation that I will correct.

Bingo
That link shows and under slung configuration as you described in your previous post Bingo, that is "not" what is on the Montana from the factory as far as spring location.

Page 52 in the link I suggested shows the way they are hung. I am not suggesting we have the "slipper springs" only that they are "over slung".

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
The springs and axles come as an assembly from Dexter. Keystone attaches the assembly to the frame. Raise hell with Dexter, not Keystone. When I found mine loose, I called Keystone and was set straight on who the culprit was.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
One of mine was torqued properly. All others were at least a turn loose. 2 were little more than finger tight.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My U-bolts face up and are torqued to 65 lbs. After the first time torquing them a subsequent check showed they are still holding the torque. From this I find it hard to believe they are torqued at the factory. Or else the transporter is way rough on the trailers and these are coming loose real bad.

Bingo, the diagram shows the u-bolts pointing down because the spring pack is UNDER the axle. My rig is different and the spring packs are on top of the axles and hence the U-bolts point up. The method on my rig raises the trailer so it sits higher in the air. This is known as "reversing the axle" or something like that for rigs that sit too low and don't have enough clearance with the truck bed. Many fifth wheel rigs I've seen these days have the leaf spring packs on top of the axle for height reasons.

Whatever the case, u-bolts up or down, check the torque just to be safe.

Artemus Gordon, when your minions get around to checking this out let us know. I can post a picture if it would help. If I recall, all but two of the eight nuts on my U-bolts were at the proper torque and a couple were WAY off. Now, there have been no problems since (I check every couple of years and am due to do so before my next trip).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
The good thing about it is once you torque them properly, you should never have to do it again. If want to go the super safety route, you could loctite them or add another nut (referred to as a jam nut). If you're super paranoid, do both!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Checked ours before our trip to Banff in August. Mind you, this was after six trips prior but not as many miles.

Only two of the 16 were at 65lds. Some were a half turn but several were over a full turn!!

Glad I saw this in a previous post but geez, this is scary.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Tom S, your response keywords are "never should". That's mostly true, but I still check torque for the tires before starting a new trip and during the trip too, (at least every morning right before getting on the road). I do recheck the torque and while I agree they should be tight and correct, one must check in order to confirm. At the very best you should find the torque is fine and that the click is quick (for the clicker type of wrench - I have two) without the feeling of reseating the nut. I don't feel the need to mess with loctite or jam nuts. That would just make it harder to check the torque when the time comes. I also don't find a need to check every single nut and bolt on my TV or RV. I'll stick with the ones that could be problematic (ubolts and wheel lugs).

Oops, and there are 16 nuts to check, not 8. It's 8 per axle.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #19
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Thanks guys for the reminder on this. Since getting our new rig I completely forgot to do this. Guess I now have a job to do next day off!!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #20
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We asked our dealer to check the u bolts but he did not so when I checked them we found the same thing. Two were tight and the rest were loose. Two were very loose. At the fall rally I addressed this with the service center, the fifteen minute tech and one of the engineers at the factory tour. They all said they would make an issue of it and get it corrected. Must of fell on deaf ears.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote