Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Trailair pin box

For those that have the trail air pin box on the heavier Montana's what is the model number.

We have the 2013 3402 Big Sky. we are going to upgrade to the trail air. Unless there is a better one???

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Rich, before you buy, have you considered the air hitch instead? My reason for asking is if you buy a new truck, the hitch will transfer (though you may have to wait for the manufacturer to make new mounting rails), but if you ever decide to get a different trailer, the pin box may or may not fit.

Just a thought.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Tom mentioned exactly what we are considering. The air hitch, in my opinion will give you buffering in all directions when used in conjunction with the Mor-Ryde pinbox. Obviously, it is more expensive, but we feel the expense will be justified.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We had a Lo5 Trailair Tri Glide pin box installed at the Trailair factory in Goshen before they were bought out. It is rated for GVW 2100#. I know ours is lighter than yours. This is our third Montana and we won't have another one without the Trailair Tri Glide pin box. 3295RK,3400RL and 295 RKD.They have good info on their website.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am listening, I am listening...
Old 10-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Rich,

While you are listening, do some reading (they also offer air pinboxes that are unique). They are located in Florida as well, so you may be able to pick it up cheaper than paying shipping, not sure though? I am not endorsing nor recommending them, but this is the direction that I think I will be taking in the spring.

Air Safe

This is the hitch that I think I have settled on, based on the features.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a Trailair pin box. I like it. It is very well built, works great but its the only upgrade pin box I have ever had so like most I have nothing to compare it to.
I bought it direct from the factory and they sold it to me for 40% off retail which was about $700 or a little more. Delivery was free.
I like what you said, Unless there is a better one. It's your money get what is the best for you.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I purchased the 5th Airborne pin box and didn't look into things like I should have. The pin box is great and does the job, but as has been noted the air ride hitch can be used for any trailer down the road, the pin box's are made for several different trailers. Then add in the More Ryde pin box which will take care of the back and forth you have the best of the best in my opinion.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #9
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Bingo, I looked at the info you attached. But, I'm not seeing where it controls the fore and aft chucking. Am I missing something?

Rich, I think the LO5 Triglide will be what you need for your Big Sky. I am very strongly considering converting my standard LO5 to the Triglide. It is simply a matter of changing the bottom jaw. You may want to call Trailair and find out for sure if the LO5 will be the correct pin box for your unit. I'm thinking the LO5 is rated at 18,000lbs but not positive on that.

As I have said before on another thread Guys, our next 5th wheel WILL have the Trailair Triglide! It will be part of the deal where it is installed at the factory when the unit is built or, the dealer will install it before I take delivery or, it gets taken off the old Challenger and installed on the new unit BEFORE it gets hooked up to my truck.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:34 AM   #10
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Here is the Trailair Tri Glide that I ordered on my SOB. Like it so far. Seems to take chucking and most of road bounce out.
My pin weight is probably higher or comparable to yours.

http://www.lci1.com/index.php?option...3:tow-triglide
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF

Bingo, I looked at the info you attached. But, I'm not seeing where it controls the fore and aft chucking. Am I missing something?
No, Dale you are not, which is why I am leaving the Mor-Ryde pin box in place for just that purpose.
Bingo
Old 10-28-2013, 04:08 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
great information guys . we will look into the air safe hitch they are very pricy. The LO5 triglide looks good also. we were beat to death on our trip to Fla. Wall panels loose, etc. .
Old 10-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #13
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
OK Bingo, understand your point. But, to me it seems like it would be cheaper to change the pin box than the whole hitch. That way, everything would be in one package. The way Lippert builds the sleeve for the pin box, you'll be able to move it from one Montana to another. Besides, what happens if Keystone decides for one reason or another not to use Mor-Ryde any further?

Just sayin'.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I agree completely, and I know that I shouldn't say it, but cost is really not a factor in our decision here, riding comfort is. I am in pursuit of the absolutely best ride that will be available in the cab of our truck. Our truck is a truck, it does not ride like a car, it rides like a truck, and the truck is having a detrimental effect on mine as well as DW's backs (chronic back pain as a result of an accident a few years ago). Cost is a factor in our truck, since it is paid for and will be kept since I believe it is the last of the real truck engines that were built, namely it has no pollution control add-ons. So then it comes down to what is the best combination for our truck, and even with that said, I may not be on the correct track, but I do have the winter to ponder it. I am like Rich, I am watching all of these threads with keen interest and soaking up all of the information I can, so hopefully I can make the best, most-informed decision that I can come Spring. At present, I am leaning strongly toward the air-hitch system.
Bingo
Old 10-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is what is great about the wealth of information here. We do not have the back problems Bingo and wife have understand where he is coming from. Our primary issues is to get the best possible ride we can and prevent this beautiful Big Sky from the dreaded frame flex problem. we are pretty sure we have a buyer for our Mor Ryde pin box back home so that helps. We will be doing a big N.E States trip starting in June of 2014 and changes will be in place by that time.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Totally understand, Guys. Wife has been complaining about lower back pain but, has not yet gone to see a Dr. She is stubborn like her Dad when it comes to that stuff. So, that is why I'm considering the Tri-glide jaw to add to what I already have.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Towed 28,000 miles with stock pin box and 30,000 with our tri-glide. What a difference. We have towed all the way across the Northwest Territories on gravel roads, the Top of the World HWY and the Alaskan HWY with no frame problems.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #18
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
We are going with the Trail AIr TriGlide. Everyone here has good points. But for us this fits our needs.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we are leaning your way George but still keeping a open mind.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #20
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Previously tried to post this comment but my Hot Spot blinked and lost my previous epistle. The bolt pattern is 1716 on our rig and you can find that info on your pen box. The TrailAir website will guide you through selecting the correct new pen box to match your bolt pattern. We paid $1,150 for the TriGlide delivered to the farm and I installed it on our previous Montana Mountaineer. When we traded Lazydays agreed to switch the pen boxes along with tires and rims (G614s & 110 lbs rims) and move our two new Marshall regulators. I noticed that Thor and other companies use the TrailAir on heavier coaches. I don't want to throw cold water on a spending spree, but if you are only traveling from Ohio to Florida and back with a few side trips the Mor-Ryde should do just fine.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote