Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
jenabby

M.O.C. #13842
Send a message via MSN to jenabby
Power Slides

We have just purchased a Montana 366RE Hickory edition 2010. New to the fifth wheel life! The question i have is can you open each slide on its own? There is 4 slides in total. When you hit the button inside the unit the bedroom opens first, then the kitchen, then the living room and last the kitchen table with the couch..??

jenabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
I assume you mean a 3665RE.

Outside underneath the bedroom slide, there should be a small plastic door with a keyhole in it. Inside there should be 4 knobs, one for each slide, another selector knob to switch to several different functions for the remote fob (off, front landing gear, rear stabilizers, room slides, and power awning), another rocker switch dedicated to the front landing gear, and another rocker switch with a red LED that activates the timer which allows the remote to function.

When all of the slide valves are open (turn fully counter-clockwise) the slides will extend and retract pretty much in the order of how much weight or moving resistance each slide has. Usually the bedroom first, then kitchen, then recliner area slide, and finally the long dining area slide.

You can control which slide(s) you want to move by closing (turn fully clockwise) the aforementioned valves for the slides that you want to keep from moving.

I'm not sure, but I think it was around the 2010, maybe 2011, model year that they started to change the slide controls and remotes to something different, so all of the info mentioned above may or may not be relevant to your rig. But that is the best that I can offer to you.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
On mine, also a 2010, there is a compartment on the outside in the front left side (under the bedroom slide), that has separate knobs for each of the slides. You can shut the ones off that you want to keep closed with these knobs to prevent hydraulic fluid from enabling them. That way you open only the ones you want. You can also control the landing gear and rear stabilizers from this location. Did you get a remote for operating the slides, awning, landing gear and stabilizers?

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
sambam's description of the knob's is correct for your model year. Be sure to turn the knobs completely. Completely means all the way clockwise until they stop turning, which is past 180 degree. They will turn about 10-20 degrees beyond pointing straight down.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We have an older 2006 model and the controls are behind the front compartment door at the underhang and then the pump is above the battery - there is no special door or compartment. There are 4 rotary nobs at a pump/reservoir assembly which is used to control the slideouts. As mentioned above opening or closing each knob will control a respective slide. In our case, each knob is rotated several rotations clockwise to close or counterclockwise to open. Make sure you rotate in each direction until is stops either fully open or fully closed. The closed position prevents the respective slide from moving at all. Each knob is labeled on our pump. If there are no labels (it happens) then try each one to find out which slide is controlled then label each valve yourself for future reference.

Hopefully our posts will help you find the pump and hopefully there are control valves for each slide at the pump.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Although I have been very satisfied with 3 consecutive Montanas, I firmly believe this is one area that the Montana line falls flat on its face ... and rolls a bit. Without flipping valves, your current fiver's smaller slides will always go out first followed by the larger slides as well as the same going back in ... that's how an open hydraulic system works. There are other brands in and near the same price range that have individual slide controls inside the unit eliminating the need to go outside in some cubby hole and close valves, then later have to go back to the same cubby hole to open the valve for regular use. The remotes on newer models only make this one step better as in not having to go back inside to the wall switch once the valve is closed or opened. I installed 12V blocking valves and the necessary short hydraulic lines on my 2005 Montana down by the manual manifold. I transferred this mod to my 2011 when I traded. All I have to do is flip a switch(s)corresponding to which slides I don't want to go out. They are located inside my fiver near the main slide switch. I don't have to visit the cubby hole at all. There's a post with photos on my mod in the archives. The hardest part for me was running the wire from the switches down to the 12V valves.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Bingo is exactly right on how they work. If following his directions still allows some creep on the other slides try turning the switch counter clockwise and then clockwise as far as it goes. An engineer for Lippert told me to do that and they've worked perfectly ever since, something about relieving the pressure on the valve.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #8
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
My 3750 has a switch in control box that allows me to disable slides if needed
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
PaDan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13130
That is the way my 3700 is. The bedroom has a separate switch, then the other 2 can be controlled separately in the little box up front.
PaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

My 3750 has a switch in control box that allows me to disable slides if needed
Can you expand upon exactly what you are describing, not sure I am familiar with what you are calling the control box?

I think PaDan is describing the difference in the electric slides on the main slide controls inside the rig. The electric cable slides towards the pin box do have separate switches (left and right), the outside controls isolate the valve mechanisms on the hydraulic slides, which all operate in sequence from the internal controls. Sorry to the OP, who inquired about controlling individual slides on an older model, which I believe, has all hydraulic slides. Our 2011 model still has the isolation valves in the outside small compartment for the hydraulic controlled slides. We can control the two electric slides from the inside, but if I want to only extend one hydraulic slide, I have to use the outside isolation valves.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote