Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
Wiring connection #2

Still having connection trouble on the 2014 High Country , Get message on dash that says wiring fault and trailer disconnected .
I have taken electronic cleaner to both connectors on the 5vr and truck , Replaced the 7 pin connector on truck , Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . I have also taken the cover off of where the wiring connect to the trailer and no loose wires found.

ctwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
You also have to check all the splices to the trailer brakes. There is a splice up in the belly too. When my tank split and I had a bunch of water up in the belly it shorted out the wiring and I got that message too.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Denfinger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13210
This is the same message you receive (I have) when the emergency pin pulls out like the trailer did disconnect and come off the truck. Maybe check to make sure your emergency pin comes out and test it and put it back in and see if everything including the wires to the emergency pin box are tight. Since you have checked many other things, this is worth looking into. Testing and pulling the pin in and out should make this alarm come on and off when replaced. May not be the issue but can cause this message. Good luck.
Denfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Check for insulation worn off of magnet wires inside of the brake drum mechanism, which can cause intermittent faulting. That's where my problem was when it happened to me.

This problem seems to come up occasionally on the forum, and a shorting magnet wire in the brake drum is often the cause.

Also, worn insulation on the magnet wires inside of the axle tube can cause the faulting as well.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #5
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Two other places to check for the short are behind the clips that secure the brake wire to the brake magnet arm. Remove the clips, and look for wear on the wires there.
If the Ford 7 pin trailer connector has been taken apart for any reason, take it apart and look for corrosion. That's a 2 piece connection. It only has an "o"ring for a seal. You will be surprised as to how small those pins are compared to the lugs that we see when we connect the trailer pigtail . Good luck, Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
I don't remember if I had that problem on my 08 Ford but when I got the 12 F350 it was doing that . I convinced the service manager at my local ford store that it was the factory plug in under the bumper that was the culprit. He replaced it and sure enough that was it!
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote