Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2014, 01:27 AM   #1
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
retirement

Well retirement is just around the corner and I am making arrangements to winter in Florida. That being said my wife has to talk to the grand kids.We are looking at using a Hot Spot as we have Verizon and use face time. Do any of you have this and will it work? Can you use it on your email address as well as I have my son on my account so we would have everything the same. Some times would not always be accessible to WiFi so trying to make sure we have grand kid access.

I am sure there are grand mommies out there that can help. Thanks Joe&Buffy

( sure more dumb questions to come as I grow closer to that day )

Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:34 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
It should work. Video uses more data so monitor the data usage the first few times so you will understand how much is used per call and length of call.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:37 AM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
It should work. Also, in many places there will be wifi. Some are free to use whilemothers will have a charge. Remember, the hot spot will have a charge for the data, Verizon, ATT, check on Sprint if you use them as they advertize unlimited data plans. Video uses more data than a plain voice call.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:51 AM   #4
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
I use my Verizon hot spot all the time. But, as said earlier, video and photos chew through the data allowance, so monitor your usage. There are times where you cannot get a Verizon signal, but that's rare. It is secure, so you can check bank accounts, credit card statements, etc, as opposed to using the RV park WiFi where you don't know who is monitoring what you're doing.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:52 AM   #5
Lack of HP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13008
Thanks for the feedback, I think this is going to be a costly break in period until I get granny organized. G-Kids first in her world. I will keep a eye on what is happening just trying to make sure it would connect and work. thanks again. Joe
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bw2

It should work. Also, in many places there will be wifi. Some are free to use whilemothers will have a charge. Remember, the hot spot will have a charge for the data, Verizon, ATT, check on Sprint if you use them as they advertize unlimited data plans. Video uses more data than a plain voice call.
Lack of HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:04 AM   #6
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
We use the Verzion hot spot all the time. As said before video can chew up the time. But I am not sure fice time needs wifi? That said I had AT&T and the wife had Verzion and for most of our arround the US trip I had to forwarded my phone to her Verzion phone to get calls. I of course have Verzion now as I can't be unreachable for my tax clients.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
Montana4two
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13738
I have a Verizon hotspot for use in Arizona. Family all have I pads or I phones so we face time once a week and text for free. It works great
Montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
Sundogette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13254
We use our Verizon Hotspot all the time. I can fire it up while we are heading down the road, then use my Tablet to get larger maps, check for Campgrounds, Parks, etc. we prefer to use it for private browsing, emails, etc. my husband has his laptop, I am on mine of the tablet.

You can also download an Ap from Verizon that will monitor your data usage, with the gauge on the desktop of your phone, very handy, especially when using for videos. You can also call Verizon to up your data plan if you think you might go over, before you get dinged....
Sundogette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Hotspot is a good option
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We use a Verizon Hot spot and it works well even out in the boonies where we tend to be. To save data use and keep Gma in touch try to get her to use texting more. On our plan texting is free and tends to be the way the grandkids prefer to talk. The added advantage of using text as your primary way of contact is that you can communicate equally with the grandkids who have phones that don't to face time. No kid has a phone that doesn't do text.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #11
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Send a message via MSN to jgavin Send a message via Skype™ to jgavin
I use the Verizon hotspot off of my phone when traveling and I have never had an issue with it, but it will deplete my phone battery fairly quickly, so I keep it plugged in. Videos and photos will gobble up your data plan in a hurry.

The real upside is you have a somewhat more secure internet connection as opposed to a public Wi-Fi. If you have to use public Wi-Fi (assuming you don't have a hotspot working), suggest you check into WiTopia ( https://www.witopia.net/support/why/ ) that works quite well. And that is a secure connection, big time.

Best wishes

Joe & Pen
jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #12
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Joe, before you decide on a hot spot, see if you can network a wireless printer to a jetpack, aka hot spot or turn the hot spot feature on your phone to connect to your laptop and printer thru the phone and NOT use any data time.

My CradlePoint router will connect to my laptop and printer and will print without the air card in the CradlePoint. Thus using no data.

I would not be with out the printer, you never know when someone needs to send you something, print it out, sign it, scan it and send it back as a pdf to the sender. This situation has happened enough that there is no way we would travel with out our wireless printer.

With a air card and router, you can turn on the WiFi feature of the phone or tablet connect to your secured network and not use the data allowance of the phone or tablet.

Just a thought.

Hope both you and Buffy have a great retirement. You get tired of Florida this winter, see you in TEXAS....

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We have the Verizon Mifi. It works well but you certainly have to track your data usage. We have removed programs from our computer that interacts with the internet and we've stopped automatic program updates. Certainly log on to Verizon's website and track your usage until you feel comfortable with your data usage. You can buy additional data in 2 gig increments for $10 per increment up to 20 gig, beyond that you have to buy 10 gig increments. It can get expensive real fast if you are not careful.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:36 AM   #14
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Another thing to look into is Millenicom for your data needs. 20G per mo. for $90.00 per month. That pretty much allows you to do anything you want, other than streaming a lot of movies. We have had it for 4 yrs now and never went over our limit. They use Verizon towers so you have the best coverage you can get IMO. Recently became a lot more expensive than it had been, but its worth it to me. Oh and there is no contract.

http://millenicom.com/

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:23 AM   #15
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Not only videos and pictures but as time goes on web pages are more animated and have video playing. Just a few years back one could get away using a lot less data, but today web pages burn up data fast, The new MSN home page looks like it is gonna really eat data with all the pics on it....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote