Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 AM   #1
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Driving in the Snow

This is a topic I have tried to research in this forum and could not find. I will be leaving soon for Florida, however, I live in eastern region of Ontario Canada and it is snowing here and is forecasted to snow until I leave...after that I don't care as I hope to be far south in Forida. The question is, does anyone out there have any experience driving in snow and could give me some tips. My truck has ABS but I am pretty sure my trailer does not.

Biggjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #2
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
My advise about driving in the snow is:

DO NOT EVER, EVER DO IT!!!!
Seriously, just do not get in a hurry. Keep the speed down. Brake as gently as you can and be aware of locking up the trailer brakes and it trying to get in the cab with you. And, do not forget to wash the salt off when you get to Florida.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
After you are sure that you have driven out of the snow, don't forget to find a safe place to stop and remove the seat cover from your bu** crack!

On the serious side, unless you have a great deal of experience towing on snow/ice, I would consider delaying the trip long enough for the roads to be plowed.

I drove a tractor/trailer in the upper midwest for several years and didn't have the luxury of being able to wait it out. You'll be glad you waited if that is possible.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Agree with Jim on what he says. Don't leave until the roads should be cleared. Set your trailer brake controller a little higher than you usually do (if the truck stops before the trailer you will jackknife) and easy on the brakes. Watch carefully for ice and leave much more stopping distance between you and others than normal. Remember the number of tractor trailers you see having accidents in the snow and those are professionals at it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
AS others have said " WAIT " till it clears. It is pure hell to look in your side rear view mirror and see what is tryin to pass you is your trailer. Been there, done that.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I have been caught in snow twice, and agree with the recommendations to wait it out. And in both cases, our Fifthwheel was a real mess to clean up.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
I also am in Ontario (Owen Sound area) and we just got back from an 8000 mile trip. We live right off #6 hwy. On a more positive note, you and I know that during a period of snow, it often lets up for hours or days at a time and we see completely bare and often dry roads thanks to sand and salt. You can begin your trip during one of these periods. You can always stop at a Walmart or a motel/hotel until the roads are good again. Chances are good that your worrying will be for nothing and you'll get down further south where rain replaces the snow. If the roads are snow or ice covered or heavy or medium snow are predicted within hours stay home. A dirty rig usually results after any long trip and will have to be washed upon your arrival anyways.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Being that we live in Western Canada I have driven in snow a number of times in the mountains on our way to Arizona, however the snow part of the trip only lasted approximately 20 miles as the interstate was generally dry. I've experienced our 5th wheel trying to pass us which was caused by a strong cross wind. In addition to the comments from others my advise is the folowing:

If your truck is not 4X4 I would not travel on snow covered roads.
If there is a strong cross wind and your on snow stop and wait it out.
If the snow covered road is a short distance I would proceed but at a slow speed with no sudden movement and don't hit your trailer brakes.

If you have a 4X4 truck and if alot of your trip is on snow covered road you can buy cable chains for the tires on the back axel of your trailer, which will provide grip for the trailer.

If the road report indicates travelling on the snow covered road is risky it is too risky to travel with a trailer, so wait until the road is clear.

My preference is to not travel on snow/ice covered roads.
All the best
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Thanks everyone. In the time it took to post this it snowed another 6 inches. I will take everyones' advice and only travel on cleared roads. It is better to arrive alive and late than not at all. Thanks
Old 03-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I could not resist the opportunity to relate my only experience in heavy snow. 2 or 3 years ago we had left our old 5th wheel at our lot in West Branch, MI late into deer season. I had planned to hunt over Thanksgiving weekend and bring it home then. Just prior to Thanksgiving we recieved 8" of heavy wet snow. I decided to forgo the hunt and get the 5th wheel out of dodge before the snow was packed on the trail. We packed as quickly as possible and were soon headed down the trail. There is a long hill about 1/4 to 1/3 mile long. I put the truck in 4Lo, conciously took my foot away from the truck brake and when started down the hill locked up the trailer brakes. At the bottom of the hill we were still upright, but doing 30+ MPH! That was with a 8,000lb 5th wheel. I can't even imagine Hannah back there. Needless to say, since, we make sure we are cleared out before the threat of any significant amount of snow. That has to be the most adrenalin I've ever experienced.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Agree re. WAIT or DON"T do it. Ran into snow in KS a few years back. We ducked off to a CG. Saw 2 destroyed RVs next day of folks that pushed on and went off the shoulder and flipped.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
TLWSACCOJM
Established Member

M.O.C. #13187
The very first time I pulled my 5th wheel I ran into a blizard with 30mph crosswind, no place to pull off for 50miles. Just as everyone else has shared postpone if you can, if not take it so, stay alert, don't use criuse control, and pray.
TLWSACCOJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
As you can see from the picture below we have traveled in snow. In January we were headed to Quartzsite and we were told that the roads were clear/light snow with just cold temps. Well, let's just say that changed! Once we got on the road the conditions changed and I was driving with 50mph crosswinds that had blown two tractor trailer rigs off the freeway, created ice covered roads, and at one point I could read the word Montana in my side view mirror! The Highway Patrol was graciously changing the road conditions as we arrived on the scene. A little too little a little too late. All of the exits for the next 20-30 miles(of which there are only a few) were closed due to snow, heavy winds, etc. So we just had to brave through it. We made it safe to Idaho where it was -8 degrees. Luckily the rest of the way was clear but cold. When we arrived we were unable to see out of any of the windows due to extensive road grime. We stopped at a self-wash and cleaned the rig off and had a GREAT TIME in Quartzsite.

Billings Montana regularly receives 20-30mph crosswinds so if we never went anywhere until they died down we wouldn't be leaving our driveway very often. We also drive in snow with our everyday vehicles so it is not like we are inexperienced snow drivers. However, driving with a rig behind you is a different beast on the best of days let alone adding ice/snow to the mix!

With all of that said please note that I would agree with everyone here. If you can wait - WAIT! If you leave and all of a sudden the weather turns on you then pull off or DRIVE SUPER DUPER SLOW and use lower gears to get through to the next exit. A Highway Patrolman once told me when the weather is not to your liking drive as if you have a scalding hot cup of coffee filled to the brim in your lap and you are wearing very thin shorts! That should slow you down enough! Another thing I found helpful was to drive separate from the 'pack of cars' so if I was on a multi-lane highway I tried to stay where I had clearance on both sides so in case I did feel a little wiggle I had room to deal with it.

Bottom line is BE SAFE! Plus it doesn't make for relaxing driving when you are constantly worried! HAVE FUN and let us know how your trip goes, whenever it happens! I will start praying for dry roads!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Thanks Carol and Keith. I was suppose to leave tomorrow the 21st of March, however, the weatherman is calling for another 2-3 inches of snow but the temperature is suppose to be around 34F. Regardless, I plan to wait until Friday and the roads should be cleared by then and the weatherman is calling for sun all weekend with tempratures well above freezing. Thanks again to everyone for your advice.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I will start praying for dry roads for you! Have a safe trip and the good thing about the roads after a snow is that they are nice and clean! Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #16
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

I will start praying for dry roads for you! Have a safe trip and the good thing about the roads after a snow is that they are nice and clean! Let us know how it goes!
Thanks for the prayers and thanks to all the advice. We arrived in Florida yesterday after having a very interesting trip down. We left the Ottawa region of eastern ontario Friday morning with a fresh layer of snow(1"). The roads were clear but wet and it was snowing lightly all the way until Harissburg PA, which was our first stop. We ran into a full day of rain on the third day, which completely cleaned both truck and trailer. All in all it was a very good trip and noticed a lot of snowbirds going back to Canada...I guess just in time to fill for their Income Taxes.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #17
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Waiting for the roads to clear is the best choice. In the end you will be grateful on your choice.

Driving on snow/ice does not bother me personally but I will avoid it at all costs if I am pulling a trailer. I have only pulled once in heavy snow and it wore me out.

I do carry a set of chains that I am proud to say I have never used. I hope to never have to use them. I have not even practiced putting them on. I figure if I ever have to use them I need the pain of learning how to put them on the cold and snow as a reminder to never put myself in that position again.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #18
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
YEAH! Glad to hear you made it safe and have some interesting stories to tell to boot! It is nice that the higher powers provided some rain to clean your rig for free! That was very nice of them!

Have fun in Florida and take your time going home!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 AM   #19
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Just remember that whether you are pulling a trailer or just driving your car, you can for the most part drive as fast as you want! It's stopping that's the problem. Slow down and maintain distance from the vehicle ahead. Pump your brakes to slow. If you skid, you cannot steer with your brakes applied. You may have to coast freely to steer away from a problem. Bottom line, if you have a choice stay off the road until they are clear. When I have to drive on snow and ice I don't worry too much about my ability to navigate. I had to drive on those roads for years when I worked. I'm really concerned whether the others on the road know how to drive on snow and ice and might cause a problem that I can't avoid. If I have a choice I don't drive.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote