Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The front cap...

Is it just a fiberglass 'bulge'? I will be mounting a camera on the front, don't want to drill into beam or anything.
I can use a stud detector, but I recall someone showed a picture, or pictures of the inside of the cap. Help....

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Jim, I believe yours is a wrap, shallow bubble. The '09 and newer have a stronger bubble. Here is a picture from the 09 factory tour.

I believe this one is the inside of the cap.

I suggest you call Keystone Service Center and ask them. They helped me when I wanted to put a hole in the side of my 02 Big Sky.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks John as always, help when needed
Old 02-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Hi Ozz,

I just so happened to have talked to a Keystone rep today, I have his name and phone number is you want it. PM me if you need it.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

Hi Ozz,

I just so happened to have talked to a Keystone rep today, I have his name and phone number is you want it. PM me if you need it.
Thanks! I will do so.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
OK Ozz man, I am going to bite. A camera on the front cap So you can see over the traffic ahead, judge overhead clearance Need some help here understanding this one.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
No problemento Senior,
OK, you are settled in, eating Nachos on the couch with the DW, getting your butt kicked watching Wheel of Fortune, shoes off, dog-cat on your lap.
Noise out front where the $50,000 truck sits with the C.B., Tire monitor, ,GPS and all the goodies are, separated from the local Crack-heads by a 1/8" glass. These dim-wits don't know much, but they do know when the flickering light of the TV is reflecting off the windows, you are not keeping an eye on the Tow Vehicle and all it's goodies they know are in it. No windows up front....
WRONG in my case, I am pocketing the 2 extra clips, shoving the Glock in my belt and heading for the door with my ball bat, because I have been watching them walk up to my truck on a LED Flat screen with a signal from my night vision front-cap mounted camera.
I can't tell you how many times I have heard something up front and either worried about it, or actually got outside and checked the truck.
I realize there are folks that are not quite as paranoid as I am, I am just very security minded. I have 8 videao cameras here at the Casa, Night time flouresent floods, and motion-activated floods.
I now am glancing at my 27" flatscreen and a 6 picture shot of my bottom driveway, top driveway, back yard, shop, pool and front yard. No one is sneaking around at this moment.....
And yes, the neighbors think I am crazy. But no-one messes with me.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:44 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Ozz,
You need a big dog! One that requires a heavy duty chain just to keep him attached to your vehicle. I once saw a guy that had a dogfood bowl the size of a small wash tub along with a matching water bowl. He also had attached to the axle one of those chains described above. Also laying nearby were a couple of those chew toys. You know the ones the size of a cows leg! Never did see or hear a dog! But once you saw the size of all those objects you did NOT want to see a dog! Later, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:16 AM   #9
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Ozz,
Kind of thought security was your reasoning but cannot help but think your neighbors in the campground may take offense as to your infringing on their privacy. Could cause confrontation if they think you are watching their kids or peering into their patio area. They may be as paranoid as you and have twin mini-guns mounted on the rig.
Just my random thoughts,
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:19 AM   #10
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I liked that one Dennis.....LOL
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:27 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mike, I can't control what others think, one would think if someone takes offense at that, they have their own issues to deal with.
I would imagine most people would not give it a second thought.
It's going in, and people will just haven to deal with it.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:20 AM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
OK, you sold me on the security system, I was thinking more in the line of a backup camera type thing. Course I never have any thing of value in my TV when I camp. Just an empty bed with a 5ver hitch that takes 3 men and a dog to take out. I keep my small tool box inside the camper. I know others travel with a lot more stuff than I do.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Phil, sometimes a thief will break in, even if they don't see anything to steal.
I got the camera in, wired, and the monitor mounted today. Need to finish a few things, but have to go fix a ladies furnace.
The backup camera is pretty close to what I have. I got my color infra-red camera at my local Electrons supply house where I buy most of my control wiring-related parts as well as security systems. It was only $75.00, it's really small. I don't think people will see it if they aren't looking for it.
I will have pictures!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Double clocked post..
Old 02-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Ozz...

Do you ever find time to actually go camping? You win with the biggest collection of quality mods I've ever seen but do you camp?
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
trlrboy,
Sue and I sold our (Then) HVAC business around 8 years ago, we hit the road and travelled for 5 years. We came home and I started a new company; HVAC Electrical Repairs, LLC. We paid off many thousands of dollars of debt, (New truck, credit cards, paid down the Montana, like that) I am training a guy to take over this business so we can hit the road again. Our target date is my wife's birthday. We may leave sooner.
I have 10 or 12 A/C units and a few furnaces I would like to sell and also pay the Montana completely off, but that is flexable.
6 months 22 days 4 hrs 59 minutes and 16 seconds.....
Old 02-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #17
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Ozz,
I had a lesson in personal security this past summer where some &$#@%$ stole $1,200 worth of tools and toolbox right from my front yard. The police wouldn't even come to my home to take a report. They said to file a report over the internet. There was no follow-up, nothing. Not even a phone call. No big deal for anyone except me.
Let's just say I now handle security myself and am prepared to look out for my family's best interests.
So go ahead and put your camera on the front of your Monty and do what you need to do to be secure. I for one understand and support your actions.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:52 AM   #18
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Geeeeeeeeeeeze are you counting Ozz?????? LMBO
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:53 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Jay.
I am sorry for the ordeal and loss you had. It is a very disturbing thing to have your property stolen, it's not only the monetary loss. It's hard to put into words sometimes, but you feel violated and threatened. You also are wary that it may happen again.
I am the neighborhood Block Watch captain. I set this up, printed fliers, took them and posted and delivered 200 or so. I had maybe 10 people show up at the meeting with my Police contact, no-one helps, no feed-back. I used to e-mail all who gave me their email, reports and incidents. I still question people in the neighborhood who look like they don't belong, and call my immediate neighbors when a car or truck shows up in the middle of the day.
Nobody appreciates any of it. Don't know why I bother.
But, thanks for your understanding. (I have not been stolen from, I am just securing the barn door before. I like my 'Horses')
Old 02-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

Geeeeeeeeeeeze are you counting Ozz?????? LMBO
Yepper! I have 'Hitch Itch!'