Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2011, 04:06 AM   #21
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ChuckD

John Kohl, In answer to your question, what is it I am trying to gain is.... Thinking the outside temp could be well below the freezing point for several hundred miles we were concerned about can goods, heating up the inside when we arrived to our overnite, I just thought maybe keeping it as low as possible, but above freezing. I am thinking the chill factor may well be below zero for the first part of the trip. Not really sure if its a good idea or not, so I ask for your input... Thank You
Chuck,
Thanks for answering. Ref the Chill factor, for non-living beings there is not chill factor. Just the temperature outside. The wind might find places to creep in but no chill factor.
Now the physics of heating the trailer. If you depart in the morning and the trailer is 60 degrees (not sure how long you will travel that day but for discussion lets say 6 hours) then I am guessing it will take a couple hours to get down to 45. I do not have any study to document my guess. If you stop for lunch and turn on the heater during the stop it will bring up the temperature again. Then about an hour before you arrive you can turn on the heater or turn it on as soon as you pull into the RV park for the night.

If I was doing it I would look into a remote thermometer and monitor it from the truck. That would help give you a reference on the temp inside.

It will be interesting to see what you find out and how it works out.
Safe travels.

John, you are almost 100% right. There is a wind chill factor for non-living items as well as living. The easiest way I can describe it is by example. Take two hot items and place them outside. Put one in a protected area and the other where the wind can get to it. In this case, the wind does factor in as it removes heat from the surface of the object faster than the protected item, the same way it does to any unprotected flesh of a human. The difference, is that animals continue to produce heat, which means the chill factor continues to exist. But just like the two items I referenced above, once we or an animal reaches ambient air temps, the chill factor also stops. Of course the difference is, we're dead by that point...

Wind chill is probably one of the most misunderstood terms in common use.

The 'cause' of wind chill is the increase in heat removal it affects over that of passive air. That's the reason wind chill temps are lower than ambient air temp.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:43 AM   #22
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we ran with furnace set at 45 degrees coming from Omaha to VA--temps were 13-15 in am when we left and never got above mid 20's each day--we didn't want anything to freeze. we did not put fresh water in until we got to VA, just didn't want any pipes freezing but now we think it would have been OK. We used two tanks of propane over a 7 days time, most of it was probably used when we were stopped as we set it to 70 degrees when we arrived at the campsites.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #23
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
Thanks everyone for your advise, now its time for me to decide for myself what works for me. As stated before I am pretty sure what I am going to do. Probally taking a little info from each of you and working out a "My Plan" you all have been very helpful. P.S. I will also be looking out for the Montanas when traveling and if I see one at a rest arrea or restraunt I may just stop to say hello..
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #24
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you travel with propane turned on, don't forget to pull over prior to the stop to turn it off or at least turn off ALL devices that would use it whenever you approach a fuel station and some tunnels! A spark in these areas because the propane is on and a device tries to ignite can be quite dangerous.

This is why most disclaimers will say NOT to travel with propane turned on in the first place. Besides a traffic accident which could rupture a line and then spew propane, most travelers "forget" their propane is on, then when the furnace or fridge kicks on when you are fueling, there could be a big boom you aren't expecting. These are also not allowed in tunnels because many times gasses and fumes linger in these areas and an ignition from you RV while enroute can cause an explosion. I've read enough instances where a tunnel fire has started this way. Carefully planning your route to include turning off and on the propane will definitely help.

Chuck and Patty. I hope we see you on the road!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #25
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
When we travel in the cold weather after last fill up and about a hour prior to arriving at the CG I light the furnace set at 65 when we arrive I use an Electric Heater also
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We always run with the furnace set at 45 when on the road in subfreezing weather. Never had a problem but I'm careful to make sure it gets nowhere near a gas pump or else I turn it off first. Don't want it igniting around gas fumes. Diesel I don't worry about. Gasoline, I do.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #27
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

We always run with the furnace set at 45 when on the road in subfreezing weather. Never had a problem but I'm careful to make sure it gets nowhere near a gas pump or else I turn it off first. Don't want it igniting around gas fumes. Diesel I don't worry about. Gasoline, I do.
Me too, Steve.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote