Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Generator Recommendations for 3750 FL

Calling all MOC friends that have generators. I understand generators in general, wattage, and inverter technology so I have some insight into the subject but love to learn from others experiences. My 3750FL has two ACs, one 15000 and the other 13500. I will be using it only occasionally at a Motocross track and some state campgrounds so it needs to be quiet. My main AC is 15k so I'm concerned that the Honda eu 3000 will not be enough at start up for this one. My friend knows of two people that have had fires paralleling two Honda 2000. I have no experience with on board generators and not sure I want one so i can use the generator in other applications beyond my camper. One question I do have is how much wattage is needed to run two ACs and some lights? I know someone who has a Honda eu 6500 and loves it but it is expensive and heavy. Please chew up these circumstances and share your thoughts, experiences, and recommendations. Perhaps a 3500 watt knock of might be an option. Thanks to all who respond.

snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Snowhawk2,

We also have 2 ACs plus the usual assortment of electrical appliances. We went with a 5.5 KW Onan installed in the fromt compartment by Onan. It will handle 2 ACs quite readily, although it really sucks up the gas working that hard. Many dealers push the propane powered generators because they can be plumbed into the existing on-board propane system. I personally like the idea of an external fuel tank that is easily refilled. It is really a pain in the ... to pull the bigger bottles and then try to find a propane dealer on the week-end.

I have the starter and priming control mounted on my lavatory 3 feet from the bed. It has worked well for us for the 2 years we have had this unit.

Back to your original question, a 3500 watt unit will not give enough power to run 2 ACs. It will, however, give enough to run the 15000 BTU unit and whatever lights you want. If you attempt to use your microwave/convection oven you may find that you can only do that in the winter or when the AC is not running.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
If paralleling two 2000i generators was a problem, you would see it all over the net. I Googled it and couldn't come up with anything. I wonder if those people were using Honda generators or the Chinese knock offs, and I also wonder if the power cord they were using was the one designed for the units or a home made affair. But back to your question!

Stay away from the knock offs. They may look identical but they are not. They are made with inferior materials and will not last like the Honda and Yamaha generators will. Also stay away from 4K and 5K emergency generators like Coleman. They work well but are very noisy and unless you are deaf will drive you crazy. The eu3000 will start and run one a/c unit provided you aren't overtaxing it elsewhere. For a discussion on watts/amps, go here and look at my post: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=41375
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I agree with Tom's take on generators and that 2 EU2000s will provide more power than a single EU3000. However, you can also parallel 2 EU3000 to satisfy a 50 amp need. This would be a portable power solution. (I also have seen a triple parallel cable set to link 3 EU2000s but I've never heard of anyone doing this - this would also provide a 50amp rig portable solution)

For an onboard permanent solution, a 5.5Kw unit seems to be the capacities used for 50 amp rigs. I think the extra 500w helps with startup issues. Keep in mind that startup of all devices will always seem to exceed whatever you have.

I have heard of users that have had fires from trying to refuel HOT generators, but this would not be the fault of the generator. Heat and fumes are always at risk if not being careful enough. I'd wonder about the causes if your friend who had two acquaintances with problems paralleling Hondas were doing things right. The Hondas are some of the best generators out there and tough to beat when used correctly, but carelessness will mess up any reputation if spread by unjustified rumors. Without knowing the details of what happened, I wouldn't put a brand to it just yet. I'm nor being defensive, I just don't want to see a bad rumor flare up.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Thanks for your responses. First, regarding the Honda 2000s being paralleled with problems, I have met plenty of people who have done it, love it, and quite frankly it seems like a very attractive option. I don't have any details about what their problems were. However, I have used both a Honda 2000 to run lights and a Honda 3000, and Honda's are top notch. Sorry Art and Marge if the post offended you.

Moving on to your feedback, Tom S. nice set up with the 2000's. What I like about that option is each generator is light so it is easy to move. Are the gas cans you show in your picture plumbed into the generator or just for back up? How long can you run 2000s on one tank of gas? What is your security set up for the two units? I hear many small generators get stolen. Do you find yourself only using one generator when the ACs aren't in use or do you run them together most of the time. What were your reasons for going with the 2000s vs. buying one bigger unit? What is the surge wattage for this set up and the run wattage? Lastly, out the door cost of the two units, plus the cable, I would expect is around $2,200? I have so many questions because I'm interested. Is there enough wattage to power 2 AC's? I would expect not but that's not a big deal.

lasater it sounds like the 5.5 Onan is a good option to basically have a 50 Amp service built in. What is the cost of one of these units installed? The gas versus propane is a definite decision point. One of the reasons I have been thinking portable was to be able to use it with other things and keep it when and if I sell it, and to not lose the investment.

Thanks for your insight.

snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I think the basic information is provided here to allow you to make a good decision. I have a Honda 2000 as well as one of those "Chinese take-off" Kipor 3000 and now an Onan 5.5 built-in. Knowing what I know now and if I were to purchase a generator for occassional use with the rig, I would be looking hard at the new Honda 3000. It weighs 77 pounds as compared to our Kipor which weighs in at about 150. If needed, the Honda 3000 can be paralled as Art stated to provide all the power you will need. I will say that our Kipor ran the 13500 BTU AC but would not run the 15000 BTU one. The Honda 2000 would not touch either. Good luck with your choice.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the Kipor 3000 and it is a China knock off of the Honda 3000. The local repair shop tells me that 90 of of the parts in the Kipor are identical to the Honda. I see it a poetic justice. The Kipor has served us well for 4 years and will run everything but not both A/C's at the same time. My present choice would be the Honda 3000.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snowhawk2

Moving on to your feedback, Tom S. nice set up with the 2000's. What I like about that option is each generator is light so it is easy to move. Are the gas cans you show in your picture plumbed into the generator or just for back up? How long can you run 2000s on one tank of gas? What is your security set up for the two units? I hear many small generators get stolen. Do you find yourself only using one generator when the ACs aren't in use or do you run them together most of the time. What were your reasons for going with the 2000s vs. buying one bigger unit? What is the surge wattage for this set up and the run wattage? Lastly, out the door cost of the two units, plus the cable, I would expect is around $2,200? I have so many questions because I'm interested. Is there enough wattage to power 2 AC's? I would expect not but that's not a big deal.
Let me begin by saying that's an old picture, and I now have a single larger tank that replaced the two smaller ones and feeds both generators. Portability and space were the reasons for going with the two 2000i generators. As seen with the picture, I can still thread the 5th wheel pin easily between them and hook up. A single larger generator wouldn't fit in this location. Plus both are below the bed height, so when the tonneau is in place, they can't be seen. The wood rack they are sitting in serves two purposes. The first is to hold them in place. The second is for security, as the wood rack cannot be removed without tilting one end, raising it and moving it forward. This can't be done with the generators in place, and if you look carefully, you'll see a plastic covered steel cable that runs through both generators and the rack to deter theft. Not fool proof, but what is? As you suspected, when the a/c isn't needed, we only run one unit. Because of the way they are hooked together, I am not sure if the surge wattage matches the 'on paper' combination of 2,000 times 2 for 4,000 watts or not. Sorry I can't answer that one for you. In theory, they should operate both a/c units, if those were the only things running. I would have real concerns with over taxing the system though, especially if both units kicked on at the same time. For that reason, I wouldn't even think of trying it. $2000 to $2200 is a pretty good estimate for everything including the oversize tank I mentioned. The problem you will encounter is Honda discourages their dealers from advertising prices other than MSRP, so trying to determine the low cost supplier isn't easy. However all of them will quote you a price via email or phone, and if you do a package deal buying everything at once, they will bargain.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote