Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2010, 04:32 AM   #21
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I think there are a lot of us that have graphics that we have replaced and that you have not heard about... I know I replaced the word MONTANA on the front and street side of mine. It is a little older unit. (2002) But why was that all that needed replaced. Everything else was fine... I had my local sign maker match my colors and put my MOC number on the front and rear as some of the members seen them at the Great Plains Rally this summer. Cost me a little over $100. Oh well, it's only money...JB

deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:19 AM   #22
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
It is still confusing to me why some peel and some don't. Many units begin to peel within a year or so of being new. Many units go years with no problem.
My '07 bought in July '07 still looks great. With all the discusions about it, I have looked closely each time I wash it and no signs of any peeling at all. A good friend bought a new unit in early '08 and by last year his were peeling.
Are all Montanas built in the same facility? By the same people? And graphics applied by the same crews? Is it something about individual care (i.e. washing, waxing, etc.) that may be involved? Weather, environment, location doesn't seem to be the culprit. There has to be some common factor about the failures. Hard to believe it is just totally random failures of the graphics.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:28 AM   #23
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
BB Tex

I just posted something about this under Keystone read - - - - -

I believe that Burlington changed vendors that supply the graphic paper.

?????????????????????????
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:07 AM   #24
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

It is still confusing to me why some peel and some don't. Many units begin to peel within a year or so of being new. Many units go years with no problem.
My '07 bought in July '07 still looks great. With all the discusions about it, I have looked closely each time I wash it and no signs of any peeling at all. A good friend bought a new unit in early '08 and by last year his were peeling.
Are all Montanas built in the same facility? By the same people? And graphics applied by the same crews? Is it something about individual care (i.e. washing, waxing, etc.) that may be involved? Weather, environment, location doesn't seem to be the culprit. There has to be some common factor about the failures. Hard to believe it is just totally random failures of the graphics.
Given that some (many?) have problems with their graphics and others don't, it would seem that Montana should stand behind their product and replace these "lemons" instead of trying to pass the buck (if that is what is happening). As others have commented in prior threads about graphics, these graphics amount to free advertising for Montana, so why would they be so stupid to not want to have them look as good as possible????
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #25
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Hi all,
I will join that poll,my "isolated graphics problem" has been coming off since 2008. I did get free front decals in 2010,march, but have not put them on yet.(why should I have too!)
We have been on the road off and on all summer,and every where we have been Calif,OR,WASH,ID,MONTANA,AZ,NEV,NM,all montana owners are more than upset....
Maybe if we all sent e-mails ,and letters to the BOARD of keystone ....

David In beautifull Coeur D Alene,Idaho.
bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We can talk directly with "the man" at the fall rally as we always do. We can also talk directly with Burlington Graphics at the rally as we always do. I think this will be a hot subject.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:53 PM   #27
rich6506547
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8222
Well i love my 3400 its a 2007 but i well not buy anymore montana's.
i would like for it to look good a lot longer then it has.
rich6506547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #28
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Can a poll be put on the MOC site to see how many have had problems? We could put the year,model and if they are peeling or not.
Then someone could present this info to Keystone at the fall rally.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #29
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
OK, I'm curious. We are all talking about the graphics going bad on our Montanas. On our 2007, the front is starting to peel, barely, but it's happening. On the Big Skys, are the graphics all painted on, and are any Big Skys having problems?

Something else that has not been mentioned.......I used to make vinyl signs at the company I worked for. I would buy the vinyl to use. One thing the supplier told me, in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS, the vinyl product had a shelf life..of ONE year. If it had not been used by then, it will start deteriorating and wouldn't stick well. I found that out the hard way when I used a roll that was three years old. I wonder if Burlington has stuff stored on the shelf for extended periods of time. I made a vinyl sign for a private driveway 15 years ago, it is still there, still going strong.

One thing I might just do...just to just to see if anyone is paying attention.....my wife grew up in Montana, in Missoula. When the front goes bad, I'm considering taking it to a guy I know that does painting on motorhomes, etc. Have him relabel the front to say.....MISSOULA......wonder if anyone would notice????? After all, both names start with an "M".......!!!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #30
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
If the shelf life is 1 year it could be the problem on Montana' side or in reality both sides. They buy in large bulk and use it I am sure until it is gone. We had friends that had issues about awning colors did not match thier Montana and when they inquired they where told Montana bought the fabric is large bulk and used it until it was gone no matter the year. We had a manufactured home once and had the heater worked on and it was 3 years old already the day we moved in because they bought by the truck load. It is a very interesting concept that only Montana and Burlington can answer, and don't forget about the supplier to Burlington. How old is the vinyl when it is finally put on???? Could be a part of the answer.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:28 AM   #31
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
The 1 year shelf life poses an interesting question. The mountain scenes on our 2008 Big Sky are peeling badly so I called Burlington because they don't show that year/model on their replacement graphics page. Come to find out, I would need to order the 2007 Big Sky graphics ... so, how old were they when installed on our rig and how old are they now if I decide to order (which I'm definitely not going to do)???

I will be very interested in reading the details of meetings with both parties at the fall rally! Wish we could be there, but it just can't work this year.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:40 AM   #32
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
When we talked trade with our dealer for a 2011 3150 as he walked out to look at our 2004 2980 the first question he asked me was, "Are the graphics peeling?" If this is a concern to this dealer it is obvious this is a big problem. They aren't peeling and I sure hope the new Montana has as good graphics.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:26 AM   #33
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
My unit is a 2007 and about half of the graphics are peeling. Burlington replaced one graphic and then 4 more starting peeling. Contacted Burlington in mid May and was told they would send those to me. Now have about 3 more starting to peel. Called last week and was told they were on back order after 3 months?????? At last year's Rally, I skipped Burlinton's presentation. That won't happen this year.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:10 AM   #34
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I am so sick of this graphic problem. Keystone needs to pull their head out and address the problem. If they can't fix it then refund part of our money.
I did another walk around yesterday and now most of the drivers side are now peeling back. ARGH!
Again. How can my company have graphics that will not peel off after 10-15 years on out fleet yet my RV can't keep them on for 6 months before they start peeling?
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #35
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I have a 2006 with no graphics problems...I wax with whatever is in the cleaning box....was told that waxes with petroleum products in them will make them peel...if so, my graphics are the exception; guess I'm just lucky.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:33 AM   #36
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
The photo graphic on the center of the front cap on our 2007 Big Sky has started to peel a few months ago and is going fast. Maybe it will be gone by the time we reach Goshen.

Glad it's just an isolated problem.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:53 AM   #37
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

I have a 2006 with no graphics problems...I wax with whatever is in the cleaning box....was told that waxes with petroleum products in them will make them peel...if so, my graphics are the exception; guess I'm just lucky.
Robbie just courous does your Montana have the Gel coat applied to the surface, I have noticed a few that dont have it done dont have this peoblem as much as others.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:29 AM   #38
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Our 2008 3000RK began peeling within a few months of ownership. It is the front that is peeling. BG sent me new front graphics which I have to install myself but haven't done it because I don't believe they would last either.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #39
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Robbie just courous does your Montana have the Gel coat applied to the surface, I have noticed a few that dont have it done dont have this peoblem as much as others.
Not sure I understand your question...yes, I have gel coat sides, and the front cap I think is not the same, it dulls pretty easily, and I have spent lots of time trying to get it back in shape....I'm just lazy, sometimes.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 AM   #40
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
OK you have gel coat then, like the majority. Thanks for the answer Robbie.