Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #21
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
The hitch on my 2009 2955RL has a warning label that say not for towing. So what good is an 1-1/4 hitch if you can't tow anything.
Tied a bike rack and it beat the heck out of the bike next I am going to try a small two wheel trailer to put the vespa on and hope for the best.

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #22
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
The factory supplied hitch is worthless. I tried to put two bikes on a rack attached to it and the movement/bounce of the bikes was un real. I almost broke the back window out with the handle bars,(eventhough I could not make that happen my self at rest). I don't know how it gets bouncing so bad bit it does.
I went to a hitch on the front of my truck for the bikes. Works great.
As for towing with a Montana, it's your choice but a very stiff rugged hitch would be a good place to start. Even though Keystone won't condone it I know some do it.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #23
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
Yes I realize that the manufacturer does not condone putting a hitch on it but neither does any auto or truck manufacturer want you to weld or modify any part of there frame either. People have been doing it for years and then all the sudden the manufacturer comes out with one preinstalled because it did turn out to be a good idea in the first place. Just look at receiver hitches on pickups, they started out as a bumper with a hole drilled in it and eventually they have a heavy hitch mounted to the frame of the truck. I really don't plan on just strapping a hitch on there cheesy bumper but it will be installed and braced to the frame.
restez is offline   Reply With Quote