Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Disappointed with our dealer

Back in May we had a mishap with our 3455SA when Leonard tangled with a diesel pump barrier and lost. Back wall separated from side about one foot. This happened in Texas. Dealer there was great. They sealed it up good enough for travel and for us to live in. We are fulltimers.

We returned to NJ where we bought it with the plan on being here visiting family for about a month. We took our rig to the dealer who kept it for 5 days examining it for what needed to be ordered. When we picked it up three weeks ago last Friday we gave them a deposit of $500. (our deductible) so they would place the order. The insurance company has been great. We already have the check, got it last Tuesday.

On Wednesday the dealer called and asked when we wanted them to place the order. What???? We gave them the deposit three weeks prior, the insurance company has agreed to payment and we made it real clear that we live in this unit and want to head out ASAP. Why did they think we would be calling them and telling them to place the order!

Today Leonard called them. They still have not ordered the parts. They said they are still figuring it up and doing the paperwork. If that is the case, why do we have the check from insurance company in our safe? They now say they will try to order parts this week and it will be AT LEAST a month before received and then they will place us on schedule for repairs that will take at least a week.

Len will be calling Montana customer service. Hoping this will help. We are really disappointed in this dealership. We thought they were better than this.

Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Len, Hate to hear that you are having those kind of problems. However, you are not alone. I very dissatisfied with my dealer and Keystone. If my dealer is on the level, then it's Keystone at the blame. We purchased our 2010 3400RL on Feb. 11th. Took our first trip with it on the 19th. It was just a four day weekend camping trip, and during that trip we noticed the Montana Emblem on the wooden frame over the living room slide out, was coming off, along with a few other minor problems that needed attention. When we returned,I called the dealer, and they said, bring it in and they would take care of everything. Told me it would take a couple of days. I called to check on it after it had been a week and had not heard from them. Parts on order, was their story. It went into three weeks, and they finally called me and told me that every thing had been fixed, except the emblem, which was still on order. And if I wanted to go ahead and pick up the Montana now, they would call me when it comes in. So That is what I did, in order that we could make another trip. Several weeks went by, and I finally drove over to the dealer and asked about the emblem. I was told that it had come in, but Keystone had sent the whole wooden frame that goes around the slide, with a new emblem on it. They told me that their wood shop would have to install it. I could not believe Keystone went to that much trouble and expense to replace a stick on Montana emblem. I was really upset to think it was going to turn into a major repair. Well, before I left, I asked to see the frame that was sent by Keystone. So she took me out to parts storage area, and we opend the box it was shipped in. Guess what! Damaged during shipping. We are now going on close to five months, and it still has not been fixed. I'm almost to the point of telling them just to forget about it. If one didn't know that emblem was ever there, they wouldn't miss it. However, it kind of frost my fanny, knowing what I paid for the Montana and they are suppose to be the number one seller of several years now. I would hate to think what might happen if I really needed to have some serious warranty work done. It's scary!!!!!
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
radio flyer
Established Member

M.O.C. #8409
Phyleen
What is the name of the dealer in N.J. where you bought this unit? Sorry to learn about your problems.
radio flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #4
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phyllen

Back in May we had a mishap with our 3455SA when Leonard tangled with a diesel pump barrier and lost. Back wall separated from side about one foot. This happened in Texas. Dealer there was great. They sealed it up good enough for travel and for us to live in. We are fulltimers.

We returned to NJ where we bought it with the plan on being here visiting family for about a month. We took our rig to the dealer who kept it for 5 days examining it for what needed to be ordered. When we picked it up three weeks ago last Friday we gave them a deposit of $500. (our deductible) so they would place the order. The insurance company has been great. We already have the check, got it last Tuesday.

On Wednesday the dealer called and asked when we wanted them to place the order. What???? We gave them the deposit three weeks prior, the insurance company has agreed to payment and we made it real clear that we live in this unit and want to head out ASAP. Why did they think we would be calling them and telling them to place the order!

Today Leonard called them. They still have not ordered the parts. They said they are still figuring it up and doing the paperwork. If that is the case, why do we have the check from insurance company in our safe? They now say they will try to order parts this week and it will be AT LEAST a month before received and then they will place us on schedule for repairs that will take at least a week.

Len will be calling Montana customer service. Hoping this will help. We are really disappointed in this dealership. We thought they were better than this.
Len, I too can relate to the ignorance of the dealers. It has happed to us 3 times from the same dealer....They always have an excuse that it wasn't ordered. Send me a PM for more information.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It is always possible to get a bad dealer. I sure wouldn't argue that point. But I would like to point out that we've had quite a few similar experiences recounted on this forum over the years. In many cases it was eventually determined the problem was the dealer. Naturally, some dealers, who are facing the customer knowing Keystone is many miles away, will blame Keystone or whatever manufacturer they are supposed to get the parts from.

I don't know how you can find out who is really at fault but I will say my own experiences with my dealer ordering from Keystone have been very good. Not always as quick as I'd like but my dealer always kept me in the loop and let me know if something was backordered, etc.

Good luck. I hope this gets resolved for you quickly. It must be very frustrating for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:00 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do this,, The dealer orders online to the Keystone service center. We have been on that end and observed how the orders come in. The dealer orders and gets a print out (invioce) I want a copy of that invoice to check the order and to verify that the dealer did the order. It does not take much of the dealers time (parts folks) to look up the part # and order the part.

Keep in mind that Keystone does not keep a complete parts inventory in stock, Think of the thousands of parts they would have if they did so. The route is..you to dealer, dealer to Keystone, keystone to vendor, vendor to keystone, keystone to dealer, dealer to you. Keystone/ vendor ships what the dealer orders.

I feel it is my responsibility to insure that the dealer orders the right part and really orders it. When we had our black tank replaced I looked at the part numbers, called the tank vendor to verify the part numbers then went to the dealer and let them order it then checked the purchase order to see that it was the right part number.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:26 AM   #7
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
Called Kaystone this morning. The parts were ordered yesterday. They agree there was no reason for the dealer to wait 4 weeks to place the order. If insurance company was informed what they had to pay out and already issued the check, surely the dealer knew long ago what had to be ordered. We completely understand it will take time for parts to arrive as it involves a whole new back wall. But the delay in getting the process started as unacceptable.
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:59 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Can't argue personal responsibility, but I do have a problem with dealers, or anyone else, who tell you they have done what they are required to do and then fail to follow through. When dealers fail to live up to THEIR responsiblities, we (in this case, Len) are the ones left to suffer the consequences...too bad there isn't some kind of performance clause built into dealer service responsibilities...if they had a price to pay, you can bet they wouldn't be so sloppy.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
Our experience was about the same with our 2010 3400RL. We found that you have to determine who covers the cost (keystone or equipment mfg), and order direct. For example if a jack goes bad, try to order from the mfg. If decorative items inside the coach then you may be stuck with Keystone. We found that if you order thru Keystone then as stated above, Keystone will not allow the mfg to drop ship to your dealer, but have it go thru their purchasing/receiving dept, takes time. Double checking what and when is an excellent idea, followed by calling Keystone to verify they got and processed the order.

I seem to recall that during the factory tour last Fall, we were told that all the items for a trailer are ordered by Keystone when you place your order for the trailer. Therefore they do not have an inventory of parts, but must order special for your situation. Especially wood trim type items.

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We've had similar situations with local dealers. If it's a major repair we go to Elkhart and have it repaired there. It is worth the trip. There are many repair facilities there that do nothing other than repair RVs. Most are professionals and do excellent work at a reasonable price. We just had a gray tank replaced there. We were there two days and it was done. They even braced it so there wouldn't be any more problems. We had a local dealer replace our axles. They had the trailer for three weeks and ended up dropping the trailer and doing serious damage.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote