Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Power Awning Question

Greetings, we are about to take delivery on our new Mountaineer next Saturday. It came with a power awning that is totally new to us. My question is, when this awning is out, is there a way to secure it via stakes and straps like or similar to the old style with the drop down arms? It was also possible to angle the awning to allow rain to drain to one side or the other. Just wondering about the durability of these compared to standard roll out awnings.

Thanks

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
I'm not quite sure about "anchoring" it down with stakes as we have never done that with ours, but I think others may have. As far as being able to angle it down for drainage, YES you can. There is a knob-screw adjustment on either side that allows you to angle it up or down.
Jack
Old 04-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
The simple answers is yes. For short term stops, I use ratcheting tie-down straps from the ends of the arms to either twist-in stakes or large tent stakes. for longer stays, I got some aluminum angle 3/16 by 1" by 16'. I cut them in half, drilled each end, drilled the awning arms, then braced the awning arms with the anglealuminum bolted at each end. I still used the tie-down straps with the angles. This gives me security for winds at least up to 40 MPH.

I prefer the older manual awnings for security, but I manage OK with the hi-tech versions.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
lasater you have any pictures of your supports in action?

We were at the RV show yesterday, we wanted to see the New Montana HighCountry but of course they dident have one at the show : ( anyway we asked the very same question They told us it's not necessary to tighten the knobs. Except if you want to pull the arm in a few inches and lock it in place to lower the one side (or both sides) So we asked what would happen if you forgot to unlock them when you put the awning back in. And he said he wasn't sure what would happen??????? So my question anyone do that yet that wants to admit it?
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote