Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
newbie things rattlin' in my mind

Well, we made the purchase of the 3650RK and will pick it up in april...but there's some questions (aren't there always?) already bouncing around. Thought I'd post them here, and get some input.
Rig is a 2004 3650RK, being jerked around by a 2006 dodge 3500 drw diesel.

* Unit doesn't have w/d prep, but was told it *might* be just inside the wall in the closet. thoughts?

* It's in mint condition, but dated. Looking to change out the 5 light fixtures (main ones). thoughts ?

* going to put on airbags and trailer brake control...anything else I should consider?

* extra refrigeration...dorm refridg in basement ok ? We drink alot...but it's pop !

* will be changing out cabinet hinges/pulls...if you hadn't notice, we ain't too fond of the bright brass all over.

* Still up in the air on a grill...I'm a BIG grill nut.

That oughta get us started, eh? I appreciate the input on any/all the above !
Bill

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Welcome to the Forums and congrats on the "new to you" Montana.

I'll let the others with more knowledge answer your questions. If you do start some upgrading or remodeling keep in mind that there are several RV surplus stores in the Elkhart In. area that have tons of goodies. They carry everything from the light fixtures, plumbing, tanks, appliances and pretty much everything else found inside (and outside) RV's. We have replaced our table with one we liked better that we found at the surplus store plus several other small items. The prices make it worth the drive to us (about 3 1/2 hours one way).

Good Luck and enjoy the rig.

Phil and Rudee
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Bill,
I can hit a few of your questions. You might not need air bags on your TV. If you have overload springs standard like my Chevy, they might be all you need. Many of us have ice machines in our basements so a small fridge won't be a problem. A grill is a must. There are many to choose from. Do your research and ask questions before you buy. Changing out hardware shouldn't be a problem. Neither should the light fixtures. Just make sure they are 12 or 120 volt before you buy new ones.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well Bill from Vermilion, Ohio we are Rich and Helen from North Ridgeville, Ohio. Just down the road. We are wintering in Florida right now and will return in Mid April. Will have to get together. The Surplus stores in Elkhart are exactly what you are looking for. There are also a couple rallies that will interset you. One in Sandusky and of course the fall rally in Goshen, Ind.Plenty of camping in that area.. perhaps we can do some..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I don't think a dorm refrigerator will fit in the basement. The ones we just looked at are about 33" tall and will not fit in our basement and it's taller than the basement in the older model rigs. We did find some that are about the size of a portable ice maker, they look like they may hold a couple of 6 packs. You would need one that had a door the same size [vertical] as the basement door. I also don't think there is anything in the wall for a WD and doubt you will need air bags. Everything else can be done.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wild Horse

Well, we made the purchase of the 3650RK and will pick it up in april...but there's some questions (aren't there always?) already bouncing around. Thought I'd post them here, and get some input.
Rig is a 2004 3650RK, being jerked around by a 2006 dodge 3500 drw diesel.

* Unit doesn't have w/d prep, but was told it *might* be just inside the wall in the closet. thoughts?

You would see the W/D prep if it was installed. Whoever told you it "might" be in the wall is probably jerking you around. All I've ever seen had the full monty so to speak. You would see the hose bibs. If you don't then your rig is not W/D ready.

* It's in mint condition, but dated. Looking to change out the 5 light fixtures (main ones). thoughts ?

Sure why not. Get something you like and install them. Should be a straight across deal.

* going to put on airbags and trailer brake control...anything else I should consider?

I'd wait until I see how the tow vehicle sits and tows. If it is level and pulls OK then I'd pass on the bags. You already got some good advise on this issue.

* extra refrigeration...dorm refridg in basement ok ? We drink alot...but it's pop !

As some folks have indicated they carry an ice maker, or freezer. Just look for a little fridge that would fit and run some electric if it isn't already wired. Several members have already done this sort of thing.

* will be changing out cabinet hinges/pulls...if you hadn't notice, we ain't too fond of the bright brass all over.

While you're at it you might want to consider changing out the drawer slides. The ones that come with the rig are pretty flimsy.

* Still up in the air on a grill...I'm a BIG grill nut.

Get the grill! You'll not regret it. You will see lots of them.

And welcome to the MOC Forum!

HamRad

That oughta get us started, eh? I appreciate the input on any/all the above !
Bill
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
All I can add to Dennis' excellent response above is if you are considering a brake controller, look at the Prodigy (or Tekonsha P-3). We have used it for years (TT and 5er) and have had no problems. Set it per the instructions (you know, that little book that is so difficult to pry open with a man's hands!!) and forget it.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
With no washer/dryer hookup, that is a great place for freezer or small frig.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
I see you are a cabinetmaker. We put drawers under fridge and stove. Gave us a lot of extra storage! A lot of others have done this as well.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I'll post a couple of suggestions and hopefully others might agree this is something you should look into:

* You don't mention what hitch you will be using but might I suggest a B&W type hitch - the kind that removes when not in use to leave your bed flat for other uses. Otherwise you'll have hitch's bed rails to contend with that interrupt the front to back flatness. I did not know about this possibility and took what the dealer offered and the bed rails always seem to be in the way.

* Go the MOC home page and click on the "RV related" links at the bottom and look for a PDI checklist. This list will be especially helpful to ensure your pre-owned rig has no major problems. Hopefully the dealer will work with you on this.

As for your already listed points, it's easy to check for the W/D prep. As mentioned by HamRad look in the closet for the hot & cold hose bibs, and the drain fittings(?) and lastly, check for a single dedicated 20amp outlet in the same area of the closet and then you can consider the rig is W/D prepped. Otherwise it's not prepped especially if you have to go in the walls to do this. You can verify the outlet by taking the cover off the electrical panel and look for the 20 amp W/D circuit breaker. All of this should be very obvious. It can be done, but will require some work running the electrical and the plumbing and drain lines.

I also agree with the air bags, wait and see if you need them before wasting the money. Duallies have much stronger suspensions than SRW and you might not need them. Keep in mind, if you decide to go with air bags they DO NOT increase your weight rating but they do improve the ride and aspect (headlight aim), but as mentioned before you may not need them.

Let us know what fridge you find to fit in the basement. Finding an outlet might be tricky, especially if you need 20 amp. Check in the basement. The side walls are usually held on with clips and can be removed. In there, my rig has a couple of outlets used for converters and other 110v items but I've never tried to plug in a small fridge.

Congrats on the new rig. It sounds like you have some fun projects already to get it to what you like. Welcome to the forum.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #11
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Wow, great responses...thanks !
Rich and Helen, my folks winter in FL...Okeechobee. I posted on both the rally forums about our interest. Look forward to meeting you and other from here.

As far as the air bags, I want them a smoother ride/leveling. The w/d prep...well, the breaker panel has a breaker listed for w/d. I may eventually set this up, even with no "prep"...will have to look at the whole picture. The fridge I was thinking of is the dorm style that's only about 18" high....doesn't hold much, but would help. The icemaker idea sounds better tho', so will look at that.

As far as drawers under fridge/stove....heck, I was thinking about building a whole set for this critter !

Thanks for all the info...I'll keep checking back.
Bill
Old 01-19-2010, 04:31 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bill.. Okeechobee is @ 100 miles south of us. We are near Disney. Check out the N.E rally in PA in June.. Good rally, Good people, We are on the list. Do you belong to any local camping group in Ohio.. Got to keep that Montana moving..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:18 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If you are serious about an ice maker, many of us use the Magic Chef icemaker that can be had this time of year for less than $100. Target or Home Depot may still have some in stock that are reduced drastically at this time of year. They are smaller than the small refridgerators you are looking at as well. The make ice continuously (20 pounds in a day if you empty the maker). They cycle continuously since they do not keep the ice frozen but rather as it melts it drips into the water fill area and cycles through the ice making apparatus continually. We also use one at the stick house which can tell you how much we like it. We are looking forward to meeting you at one of the rallies!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #14
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
we got our ice maker at Target last year for $88.00.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #15
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I'll check out these ice makers....I'm assuming these are "countertop" models? It would certainly fit the bill for us.
Rich/Helen, I posted on the rally page expressing our interest. Thanks !
Old 01-19-2010, 06:35 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
They are countertop, but we choose to sit ours on the floor of the rig. Some have placed them in the laundry chutes as well.
Bingo