Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Replacing Microwave

It seems like I've read that several folks have replaced their Apollo with a standard microwave. I've done a search and don't seem to be able to find anything. If you've done this will you be so kind as to tell me the brand and the difficulty of the replacement. Posting pictures would be awesome.

Thanks,

mac

Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I replaced by Apollo with a Panasonic Inverter microwave, model NN-T695SF. It's a 1300 W, 1.2 ft*3 unit that has a stainless steel face and almost perfectly fit the Apollo bezel. I don't think that model is available now, but the dimensions are about 16 x 20 x 12 (look at the NN-SN657S).

The Apollo comes with a plastic base that raises it up to fit in the bezel. This wan't quite right for the Panasonic, but it was easy to make a replacement.

We do a fair amount of boondocking, and the "inverter" function of the Panasonic is much more suited to operation from a generator, and probably an inverter, too. The Panasonic does not pulse the microwave tube at full power, as in most microwaves, but runs it continuously at different power levels. This means I can run it at 50% on one Honda EU2000 generator (as long as not too much else is running) and just double the cooking time.

Have had no problems and don't miss the Apollo at all.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
FWIW, I'd give the Apollo a chance. Ours has worked perfectly for four years. My suggestion is to read the owner's manual very carefully...that's where some MOCers had problems.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Tom,

The microwave portion went out, it's not an issue of giving it a chance but I do know they've gotten a bad rap from a lot of folks. I saw an older topic where Steve said he got a blemished one from the factory, we might try and do that. Thanks for responding.

mac

Old 04-11-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Our Apollo, the microwave portion only, quit on us last winter. Took me a while but i opened it up and tested the magnetron. Directions were taken off the web. Turns out the problem was one of the four door safety switches. I poked at them and the microwave worked and carried on for the rest of trip.

Maybe your problem isn't the magnetron but door switches. I've seen this many times where I worked. Switches and sensors are set up at the factory so they just operate. After a bit of wear or working in the machine quit. The sensors and switches just needed a bit of adjustment and would work fine afterwards. It might be worth a try before condemning the Apollo unless you just don't want it anymore.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:15 AM   #6
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Clark,

That would be awesome if that's all that was wrong. Where are these sensors so I can "poke at them" and see if that doesn't solve my problem?

Thanks,

mac
Old 04-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
You will need to remove the accessory cooling fan and then the whole cover. There are two security torx screws, the ones with a pin in the centre of the head drive recess; can't remember the size. Once off you will be able to see 4 microswitches behind the control panel. One of mine was just a hair out of place although how I'm not sure because they appeared to be well set. I ohmed all the switches as I originally thought one might be faulty but they checked out ok.

So after that I checked the magnetron with these instructions:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5982436_chec...magnetron.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/mag_test.html

Hopefully yours is fixable that easily. It's at least worth checking.

Good luck
Clark
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mac, I had this problem early on with the door switches. Being electrically challenged I took the unit to a small appliance repair shop and had them adjust these switches. $75.00 total. May not be your cup of tea but it worked for me....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 AM   #9
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
As always, thank you to everyone for your help. That's why I got on this site five plus years ago and I'm still amazed at the willingness of people to help!

mac
Old 04-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mac, Vicki loves that 1/2 time oven so we replaced, as you mentioned, with a refurbished one from the distributor. Actually, it wasn't refurbished. It was a new one returned from an RV mfr because of a blemish. In our case, a couple of dimples on the back inside wall. Cost was $100 plus shipping. $116 total for us.

As for replacing it, the hardest part is removing the surrounding trim and that's not difficult. Remove some screws and take it off. Replacing the unit after that was a piece of cake for me by myself. Reach in and unplug the standard wall plug of the unit from the double wall socket inside the compartment. Lift up the microwave and pull it out. Ours has four cups on the floor of the compartment. The rubber feet of the microwave sit in those cups. Position the new one in those cups, plug it in, then put the trim back on. It took maybe 15 minutes, if that.

If you get something different I would think those cups could be moved to fit the new unit. I assume they're screwed in place but I didn't check that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Steve,

We did order a replacement one, they are up to $125 plus shipping in our case the shipping was $29 but we probably live further from the factory. We just got it yesterday so I have not installed it yet but I've had the shroud off and it appeared to be pretty easy.

I really do appreciate your feedback as well as others. If anyone is interested in the number I can post it for you.

mac
Old 09-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
nanstev
Established Member

M.O.C. #8947
Hey Mac, where did you order your replacement from? I called an RV dealer yesterday here in IN and he said he could get me one for $410 plus $30 shipping. Wow what a difference in price!!
nanstev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Our's went out this spring. After taking it to a local repair shop the local RV dealers send theirs for repair, I was quoted a price of $245 just to replace the control board and there was no guarantee that would fix it. Not liking to gamble on odds like that I decided to pick the unit up and repair it myself. Personally, I think it is more the switch problem but don't have the time to work on it now. So I took the other route and ordered one through Midwest Sales (midwestsales.org). It too was a blemished one that was brand new with the exception of a few barely noticeable dimples in the sheet metal inside. When it arrived I thought it would be a simple task of simply pulling the old one out and putting the new one in. I had to exchange the sheet metal cover between the two units. The trim plate has a short slot on the right, facing the microwave, that was not deep enough for the new sheet metal to fit through. Total time to swap units, including exchanging sheet metal cover, was about 45 minutes. So long story short, for $125 you can't go wrong if you like the features of the Apollo. I am still planning on digging into the old one when I get the time.

Tom
EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nanstev

Hey Mac, where did you order your replacement from? I called an RV dealer yesterday here in IN and he said he could get me one for $410 plus $30 shipping. Wow what a difference in price!!
The difference in price is because he (and we) got a "refurbished" unit from the Apollo distributor, direct. Refurbished does not mean a repaired used one. They are units returned by RV manufacturers for physical blemishes. In our case, that was a couple of dimples in the rear interior wall.

This number is a couple of years old but you could try it. 574-472-4283
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Check Sears. They had lots to choose from when I replaced mine.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote