Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
12 volt Electrical system

I am hoping someone out there has some advice for my problem. I have just openned my 2980RL for the season. I put everything back into place and found that once I put the battery in, the 12V system inside the trailer did not work. The lights, furnace fans all did not work. However, everything on the outside did work. The landing gears, stablizer jack, the slides and outside lights all worked. I have checked the fuze panel inside the trailer and they are all good. Now when I plugged the trailer in with the shoreline, everything inside worked. I am thinking there is probable an inline fuse going to the inside which burnt when I put the battery in.

I am hoping I am able to figure this one out as I plan to go out for the Easter long weekend. Any advice or tips would be great.

Biggjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
I'm wondering out loud. When you use you battery disconnect does that kill all of the 12 volt system or just the inside?
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I agree with Alandaudrey. Sounds exactly like that disconnect switch.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Yep. Check the battery disconnect switch. In my '08 model, it is in the convience center (water & cable hook-up place). With the switch off, the landing gear will work but nuttin' inside. If that isn't it then troubleshooting starting with the batteries and going through the DC fuse system.

Good luck.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Well I am guilty. I too a couple of years ago was about ready to hook up and take it back to the dealer when I remembered to turn the battery disconnect switch on. Amazing how much stuff came to life after that. Now it is one of the first task I do then drain the pink stuff.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lasater

Yep. Check the battery disconnect switch. In my '08 model, it is in the convience center (water & cable hook-up place). With the switch off, the landing gear will work but nuttin' inside. If that isn't it then troubleshooting starting with the batteries and going through the DC fuse system.

Good luck.
Thanks lasater. I have just checked and the Battery Disconnect switch is OFF and the symptoms still remain. I will now check the DC system starting from the battery. I hope it is just a fuze.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
OK. Turn the switch ON!
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lasater

OK. Turn the switch ON!
My goodness, do I feel stupid...and my wife said "Who is the blonde...".

I just now have another question. When I closed last fall, I did not touch the battery disconnect switch. Does disconnecting the battery automatically trip that switch?