Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Yet Another Washer/Dryer Question!

Does anyone know if there is an RV dryer that uses gas (propane)?

I have had gas dryers whenever possible (both propane and natural gas)and have found them to be cheaper to run than electric. Just wondering............

Thanks again

Betty

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I've not heard of one. That doesn't prove much tho!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:14 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I saw one advertised but I would be very cautious. Fire in these rigs are usually disastrous. Since the combo's run on 110 not 220 they do not take a lot of electricity. Also there is not a lot of clearance around the w/d unit.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

I saw one advertised but I would be very cautious. Fire in these rigs are usually disastrous. Since the combo's run on 110 not 220 they do not take a lot of electricity. Also there is not a lot of clearance around the w/d unit.
Happy trails......................
Actually 110 or 220 does not make a difference on power. 110 washers and dryers can work of a 30AMP feed. 220 washer and dryers must have a 50AMP feed.

The above reason is why we went with 110 system because we do find some parks with only 30AMP service.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
OK I can understand the space being an issue with a gas dryer, but don' t see how a gas dryer would be any more of a fire hazard than the gas stove in an rv. What would make it more dangerous than a stove?

Thanks for your help really appreciate it.

Betty
Old 02-20-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have no figures to prove it but do know on cold winter nights (below freezing) we go through a 30lb bottle of propane in about three days. Someone said that the Furnace burns the most propane. If the statement about the furnace is true then I believe the propane dryer would burn a lot also. Since many of the parks we stay in provide electricity as part of the service it is free or prepaid.

This is just my opinion. Good luck.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin

OK I can understand the space being an issue with a gas dryer, but don' t see how a gas dryer would be any more of a fire hazard than the gas stove in an rv. What would make it more dangerous than a stove?

Thanks for your help really appreciate it.

Betty
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Thanks, H.John I appreciate the insight into the propane useage and did not know that some cg provide electric, I know where we currently have our Monty electric is extra so guess I was assuming that's just the way it is! I really was asking as a curiousity, never read any posts about gas so thought I would ask the question.

Once again the MOC rules!

Betty
Old 02-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Never came up before, but gas conversion kits are available for everything I have worked on, just a different diaphragm, springs and such, maybe an orifice. Contact Maytag help line and they can help. I wouldn't be afraid to use one.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980

Convert a Gas Clothes Dryer to Propane
To convert a gas clothes dryer to propane is really quite easy. You just need to convert the regulator and then replace the orifice. There should be brand specific instructions included in the conversation kit.
It’s a good idea to buy your gas clothes dryer to propane kit at a local appliance parts store. That way if you purchase the wrong kit or you need additional parts it will be much easier than having to wait for parts to arrive.
Here are the steps to convert a gas clothes dryer to propane.
The Burner Compartment on the Gas Clothes Dryer
Start by finding the burner compartment on the gas clothes dryer. On most models on the lower right there should be a small access door. Remove the access panels.
On some brands it is the left side, and still others the entire front panel is removed. There will be a couple of screws on some models, while on others there will be no screws. You will have to have a close look at your particular gas clothes dryer.
Look for Gas Control Valve on the Gas Clothes Dryer
After you remove the access door, look to the right side for the gas control valve. It will be a small gas shut off valve, located right on the gas supply pipe. Turn the lever across the pipe. This turns off the gas.
On top of the gas control valve you’ll see wire quick disconnects off the solenoid. Remove the quick connects. Now loosen the hex nut and remove it on the control valve. The hex nut will have a reverse thread, which means to tighten turn clockwise, and to loosen turn counter clockwise.
Once you have the pipe off, you’ll see some sheet metal screws that are holding the plate down that the control is mounted to. Take these screws out.
Remover the Burner from the Gas Clothes Dryer
You need to remove the burner just enough so as to keep the wires attached to the flame sensor on the gas clothes dryer, This attaches the burner to the shroud cover. You will see the wire quick disconnect – remove the wires.
Replace the Orifice on the Gas Clothes Dryer
Now remove the complete burner assembly. In the burner nozzle you will see a brass or bronze orifice.
You can find the BTU on the manufacturer plate, along with the serial number and the model. For the most part, a gas clothes dryer is 18,000 to 22,000 BTU’s. You need to install the appropriate LP orifice to that rating.
Turn the Tower Caps Over on the Gas Clothes Dryer
When you turn the tower cap over it converts the regulate. The side of the cap that faces you tells you the fuel type it is set up to use. Right now it will be marked N or NAT for natural gas. When you remove the cap on top of the tower and turn it over to reinstall it, it should be marked L or LP for propane.
You’re Done
Power back on, pilot lit, and you’re gas clothes dryer is now propane.

Read more: http://tinyurl.com/yheonmg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
To answer the question about fire. Lint can catch on fire with an active flame. Had that happen to me once in a stick house. Wasn't fun.
Several of the older parks do not have meters so you don't pay for the electricity.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote