Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
Replacing surround system

I was wanting to replace that piece of junk surround sound system that came with my Monty. I was wondering if anyone would care to share what components they have bought to replace theirs. Did you just buy a home theatre complete system or did you buy a receiver and use the existing speakers? Thanks in advance.

muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
We just replaced the receiver system. Bought a RCA complete system (they had 2 units, one for $129 & the other for $179). At least this one works with our TV and does everything it should in contrast to the original which did nothing correctly.

The only thing with this 5-1 system is that we have no place to connect the two speakers that go to the bedroom. At least I don't know how to connect them.

Did not use the new speakers since I was not sure if they were any better or not and guess I probably could not tell any difference if they were.

The unit we purchased fit nicely in the same space and was very easy to connect.

Dean
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
I took our Sony system out of our stick house and installed it in the Monty.. I took all the speakers out and replaced them with the Sony speakers.. Not way to hook up the one's in the bedroom.. We do not miss them anyway..
I had no problem installing the unit, plenty of room and it works good with the ViewSonic TV.. A lot better than the one that came with the Monty..
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
A lot of folks will probably chime in on this one. I replaced the factory uh - unit (can't use bad words here), with a good surround sound system. I replace all the speakers, took out the factory ones and mounted the new good speakers on the top of the entertainment slide. Also replaced the mounts and replaced to rear speakers using the factory wiring. For the bedroom I cut the speaker wires loose and pulled them into the TV cabinet in the bedroom and hooked them up to the TV. Where the factory speakers were I turned into a shelf and mounted my surround sound on that shelf, that way I don't have in the overhead cabinet. Did all this, and more, on the road with just a saber saw and normal hand tools and sandpaper. Oh, also replaced the TV, etc., we have an 07 3400RL.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We replaced ours with a Panasonic SC-PT660 it even makes the speaker sound good. Several members have bought this unit.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I bought a Yamaha RX-V661 7.1 Audio Visual Receiver, A Samsung DVD R-155, an HP 32" HDTV, Bose 5.1 home speaker system and a Radio Shack 4 inch cooling fan. I cut the frame to mount the articulating TV, installed three of the Bose cube speakers where the existing speakers were in the front of the cabinet, mounted two more over rear window and tied in the two that were in the dining slide. Result: Great wall to wall sound. Bedroom speakers are hooked in to zone B on my Receiver, but, we don't use the bedroom for TV, in fact, our small analog TV in the bedroom was blown in a thunderstorm (probably just blew a fuse). Hope this helps!!!! BTW: All the electronic equipment sits on the top shelf of the entertainment center..
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:44 AM   #7
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
DnDatGrdJct, would you have the model of that RCA unit you used and where did you purchase it please. Looking to replace my factory unit that has problems
Randy
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:00 AM   #8
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Randy,

The RCA unit we purchased is model # RTD317. This is the less expensive unit and I do not know the model of the one that cost about $50 more. This model replaced RTD217 which a friend of ours had installed.

The more expensive unit has more power and also a dock that you could set an Ipod in. Our unit has a USB port that we can connect the Ipod to.

We purchased our unit at a K-Mart store. They have been handling them for at least a couple of years. I am sure other big box stores also have the unit but have not seen them at Wal-Mart.

Hope this helps.

Dean

Hope this helps.
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
To do surround right, it needs to be roughly symmetrical in the listening space. In our 3400RL, I consider the listening space to be the two lazy chairs and the couch. From the factory, the two surrounds are mounted at each end of the main slide, which puts one speaker over the dining table and the other over the end of the couch. It would be preferable to have one in the middle of the main slide between the table and the couch and the other under the rear cabinets, closest to the desk. I was thinking of moving the existing speakers until I Phil's (exav8tr) post, where he just added speakers. Phil, how did you circuit them? Did you use the Yamaha's seven power amp channels - one per speaker? Also, I notice that the Yamaha has A, B, A+B capability. Does it use up some of the seven channels to do this?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:23 AM   #10
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
On our 3650 we repleced that Quest 4000 piece of junk with a Panasonic SC-PT 660 I left the the old speakers in and spliced the plug in off the panasonic speakers and we are very happy with the results.
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I put in a Sony system the hardest part of the install was the sub woofer, it wouldnt go where the original was, so it went into another cabinet, I used existing wires for the speakers, it was a good heavy gage wire, we did not use the bedroom set of speakers I could have put them in the conector for speakers 6 & 7, but we never listen to the speakers in the bedroom any way.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
If you are going to use the existing speakers make sure the ohm rating is the same for the receiver you choose. Anything you put in there will be better than the (&$%%$#% stock junk we paid dearly for !!!! I found it easier to buy a couple of mounts and replace all the speakers.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
mtpocket2 said, "If you are going to use the existing speakers make sure the ohm rating is the same for the receiver you choose." This is good advice generally. If the ohms on the speaker are higher than the amplifier (it will be marked on the back), then the speaker may not get to full volume, which may be OK for surrounds. If the ohms of the speaker is less than the amplifier, then the amplifier may run out of power trying to get louder, which can slowly destroy the speakers. You will hear this as distortion or bass raspberries. If you try to "Y" two speakers (say, 8 ohms each) as if they were power receptacles or light fixtures, then you will cut the ohms of the pair in half (4 ohms, in this case), with the same consequences if the combined ohms are too low for the amplifier. In general, it is a mistake to underpower speakers - you're safer to have too much amplifier and run it at less than full volume. If you see a claim like "x watts per channel", meke sure it also says "all channels driven", or else it might have a power supply that can only drive some of the channels at the same time, with the consequence again of underpowering the other channels.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
My suround system came with Sony speakers I just used the WIRES thats all.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:16 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
In our last unit, we replaced the Quest system with a full Yamaha home receiver and Cambridge speakers. The new unit came with a nice Samsung system that appears to be very nice. And, you can use the audio from the satellite to the aux input so you can listen to stereo with TV or DVD.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #16
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
If the satellite receiver (probably HDTV) AND the tuner/amplifier support it, optical coax digital audio connections will make full use of the surround system and give great sound for feature movies.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #17
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Our surround system by Quest also quit. I tried in vain to contact Quest in Canada, no dice, talk about the runaround. I called Keystone and was told that they are now putting in RCA, Model RTD317. So we went out and bought one at Kmart for for $99.99 on sale. Works fine but no bedroom speakers. Called Keystone again and was told that they install an A/B switch in the new units, their part number 288787 and no I could not order one through Keystone, I have to go to a Keystone Dealer. I called Indian River RV in Sebastian Florida and spoke with Stephanie, she ordered it and will have in three or four days.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote