Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Do I need my slides adjusted?

We have a Montana 3665Re we purchased last year. I have a issue with the bedroom slide and the kitchen slide. They do not seal up flush to the wall. There is a taper if looking at them from the side from top to bottom.Starting flush at top and a gap at the bottom where the seal barely or doesn't touch the slide.It is about a 3/4" to 1.0" gap at the bottom of the slide. The two living room slides are fine.

We've had no leaks. Is this normal? Is it a easy fix for the dealer? I have asked to bring it back to Montana for repair ... they claim they will not do any warranty service work.

et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We just had the same problem. The dealer adjusted them under warranty. we've only had this unit about 3 months though. We've had to have slides adjusted on our other rigs also. I would suggest you get them adjusted because you could develop leaks.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer. If not, there's a good explanation in Lippert's manual as to how to adjust them yourself.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It's a fairly easy fix although the first time you adjust slides yourself it seems a bit daunting. Or was to me, anyhow. Once MIMF showed me how to do it, I figured out it's really not difficult. There are a couple of things you can do to make it easier.

First, read the manual and follow the instructions.

Second, start by moving the slide partway out, maybe half way. I think the manual mentions this so use what they say.

Third, as you turn each bolt, count the number of flats you turn it. That way you can always get it back where you started. If that makes no sense, a hex head bolt has six flats on the head. I have to write down the number or I'll forget.

Fourth, once you have moved the bolts to where you want to try it and tightened the locknuts, stand up and shake the heck out of the slide so it moves to the new bolts position. Yes, it will rock the trailer. No, it doesn't hurt anything. This is the key that MIMF showed me.

Fifth, close the slide. If still not right, do it some more.

Or, as Tom said, if still in warranty, see if the dealer will do it. However, I believe slide adjustment is only covered by warranty for the first 90 days of ownership, if I recall.

Doing this was scary for me the first time. I was afraid I'd really screw it up and then have a big problem. That didn't happen. It's really not difficult, with the help of the manual to know what bolts to change. You can figure it out by looking but it's comforting to have the manual.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
Thanks for the replys. Not under warranty after 90 days? It was 90 days before I even got a chance to use the trailer at all. I should have mentioned this problem is when the slides are out(opened). When in they fit fine, looking at them from the outside.
et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
That's the way ours was.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:00 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Et2, the 90 days has to do with what they call minor adjustments and is how it is described in our manual or wherever I read it. That includes typical slide adjustments but might not include something considered a defect. Also, your dealer may be more liberal about that policy.

I would think the situation you describe could also be handled with an adjustment. I could be wrong but it seems reasonable. Can you take a look at the adjustments when the slides are extended. You should be able to see which are at their limit and thus are keeping the bottom of the slide from coming out as far as it should. Then I'd try the adjustment using the method in my earlier post.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote