Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
Linrod

M.O.C. #9191
7-wire Plug Color Code on the 2955 Montana - what's correct?

I own a 2001 2955RL Montana and the 7-wire plug which attaches to the tow vehicle has become corroded to a point it needs replacement as its been sitting awhile. I have successfully changed plugs on trailers and RV's before, however, the plug on my Montana is a totally sealed unit and came that way from the factory thus it can't be disassembled to see the color coded wires inside the plug. Almost like it was dipped in plastic after being assembled. There are various diagrams online as to what color coded wire goes to which connector on the 7-wire plug but with not all 7-wire configurations being equal want to make sure I am getting it right.

Does the Montana use this standard configuration for wiring the plug? Looking at the plug from the end with the large tab at the top which corresponds to the receptacle plug on the tow vehicle and starting clockwise top right going around the plug connections:

1 - green - tail/markers
2 - red - left turn/brake
3 - white - ground
4 - blue - electric brakes
5 - brown - right turn/brake
6 - black - battery
7 - center of plug - yellow - accessories/backup lights

Hope I didn't make this too confusing. Thanks a bunch to the community if you can answer this.

Rod

Linrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have towed my 2002 2955 with three trucks over the years all with the factory 7 wire plug
With out a problem. So I would say it has the standard configuration
You could check the color code at the other end of the cord their should be a terminal box on the pin Box
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:56 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
You have identified color code correctly. Believe you are correct, re specific terminals, but safest answer is to recommend you go to RVbasics on line, they have detailed diagram for both tow vehicle and trailer plugs. That was my reference last year when I replaced my fiver plug.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Before you cut the cord, assuming you are just going to install a new plug on the existing cord, remove some of the jacket behind the existing plug so you can see the individual wires, which you can then use a multimeter to check for continuity between the various colored wires and the terminals at the end of the plug to prove which colored wire goes where. Then you will know exactly where to install the wires to the new plug.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I always thought there was a standard color code that applied to all 7 pin blade type trailer connectors. Until I started looking on line that is. Seems there are (at least) two standards; 7 way traditional that applies to cargo, equipment, and utility trailers; and 7 way RV Standard that applies to TTs and 5ers. Pin assignments are the same. Only the colors vary. The colors you list are what I found corresponds to 7 way RV standard.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
Linrod

M.O.C. #9191
Thanks to one and all for the replies.

The general consensus seems to be its a standard wiring configuration as I initially posted above. I will do some testing with a test light before plugging it in the tow vehicle but think I'm OK.

Just seemed a bit odd that coming from the factory the cord and plug were one solid unit, molded as all one piece. No screws of any kind on the plug to loosen the retainer holding the cord at the back of the plug nor any small set screw holding the connector unit inside the face of the plug.

I did remove the old plug and installed new using the config I described above.

Thanks again...
Linrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Fully molded plugs are common and the best way to waterproof them.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:28 AM   #8
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Google images can be your best resource some times.
https://www.google.com/search?q=trai...w=1622&bih=854

Other times it just adds more confusion.
Mulitmeter and point to point resistance measurements along with pen and paper diagram of your own making is the only way to go: to be absolutely sure. Some have backup light connection, but My unit does not have them.
uhftx is offline   Reply With Quote