Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2020, 03:47 AM   #41
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
walk away. but if you still want the trailer come back when it is completely corrected.

it is amazing how wonderful RV dealers are 'while you are buying' a trailer and then they stop be those wonderful people once you buy the trailer.

mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:11 AM   #42
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Our story of first 5r purchase went so very nice. We had been dealing on ours at a local (4 miles) dealer and had been prepared to make the long trip from SE Texas to a dealer way up north to save ~$10k.

We drove up to Madisonville to pick up the hitch for the best price from a no-name tire dealer and on the way back got a call from the sales guy. It was October 31 and the dealer had not made their Keystone quota. By way of some txt messages and phone calls between DW and sales guy, they would match within $400 the price from the dealer 1000+ miles away.

We went by the house to install the hitch and get the paperwork from the other dealer, then drove directly to our dealer, did the PDI with it hooked up in their camp ground and a full walk-through. They fixed everything we were able to find including a leaking LP switchover valve right then. We signed the papers just b4 they closed for the day. And I'll add that the service manager at Holiday World Willis has been amazing to work with over the last 27 months.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:18 AM   #43
Tree guy bob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25537
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
That is very subjective. I am in the Seattle area purchased my Montana 3791RD in Northern Calf. Brought it home and had a list of 28 warranty items. Last November I called every Keystone (including non Montana dealers who sell other keystone products), not one within 100 miles would touch my warranty work because I did not buy from them.

I then called Keystone and they cannot force their dealers to do warranty work, however after two weeks they (Keystone) somehow convinced a semi local dealer to do the work, however in one week it will be 3 months is has been sitting at the dealer waiting the work however that is because Keystone is slow on getting the parts to them.

That is not to say that other areas of the Country the result may be different
Unfortunately we don’t have any prior experience with RV purchase but being in business I do understand lawyers. They are expensive. I too am surprised at how fast the lawyer is brought in sometimes. Sometimes it is needed. I always try to resolve the problem before it comes to that. Not having prior knowledge of how and what is involved I trusted what I was being told. Fortunately it was resolved fairly quickly. Communication could have been better and that’s the one thing that’s probably most important. Keeping clients informed is huge. When that breaks down the fear of other past negative experiences of what others have had with dealers come into our minds and wanting to get a bigger stick comes in! Fortunately we were able to resolve everything to our satisfaction. It’s too bad that the customer service isn’t better. Montana makes a good product and with better customer service could really rule the market. It’s funny that prior to signing they will jump through hoops and afterwards we felt like we were just trying to get answers or know where things were at on the list! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I’ve always found you can get a lot more done with a bottle of wine or a small gift card than the lawyer.
Tree guy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #44
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
No one on here suggested that the FIRST course of action is to get a lawyer. I always escalate things up to the general manager and will give a business a REASONABLE timeframe that I make them agree to as to when the work will be completed. If I show up on that day and the work is not finished, I have another conversation with the general manager and at that time I ask if I need to get a lawyer involved. Most of the time they will get right on it. But they have to understand you mean business. Otherwise they will take full advantage of you.

I have NEVER had a SERVICE ONLY business take more time than I thought reasonable and it is one of the reasons I strongly urge folks to not take their units to SALES dealerships.

I really wish that Thor/Keystone had service only supercenters across the country. Lord knows we need them!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #45
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree guy bob View Post
Unfortunately we don’t have any prior experience with RV purchase but being in business I do understand lawyers. They are expensive. I too am surprised at how fast the lawyer is brought in sometimes. Sometimes it is needed. I always try to resolve the problem before it comes to that. Not having prior knowledge of how and what is involved I trusted what I was being told. Fortunately it was resolved fairly quickly. Communication could have been better and that’s the one thing that’s probably most important. Keeping clients informed is huge. When that breaks down the fear of other past negative experiences of what others have had with dealers come into our minds and wanting to get a bigger stick comes in! Fortunately we were able to resolve everything to our satisfaction. It’s too bad that the customer service isn’t better. Montana makes a good product and with better customer service could really rule the market. It’s funny that prior to signing they will jump through hoops and afterwards we felt like we were just trying to get answers or know where things were at on the list! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I’ve always found you can get a lot more done with a bottle of wine or a small gift card than the lawyer.
IN no way was I suggesting a Lawyer frankly a waste of time unless you wanted to unwind the deal, I was just pointing out that it is often not the dealers fault for getting to the warranty work faster, Keystone seems to be the bottle neck especially in my case. Out of the 28 items on my list there were two that has caused the warranty work to take 3 months:

1. was a small wood rail cap next to the stairs to the RD that had a split in it

2. was the wood counter top where the Living room TV is has a split in the wood they tried to hide with putty, now they are replacing it.

Out of the 28 issues those two caused the 3 month delay in warranty. Fortunately being the dead of winter and no plans for the 5er not a big deal but any other time of the year would have been a real issue.

But it was in no way the dealers fault it was 100% Keystone. What frustrates me even more is we have a 2019 3791RD and the two wood parts are still used on the 2020 3791RD so should not be a parts stock issue but I guess they (Keystone) do not stock ANY finished wood parts and one off wood parts have to be manufactured to order each time, which has significant delays...

My guess is your delay is also Keystone related and not so much the dealer.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #46
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post

I really wish that Thor/Keystone had service only supercenters across the country. Lord knows we need them!!
We just sold our Fleetwood Bounder, whereas Fleetwood has large factory owned service (only) centers in different parts of the country, it really works well they are laser focused and fast on service.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote