Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2019, 05:06 AM   #1
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Bedroom Slide Tips When Going In and Out

So our 2011 3400RL bedroom slide has started tipping when going in and out. When going out, the bottom goes out first, then the top follows and eventually straightens out when nearly fully extended. When closing, the same thing happens. I haven't had time this spring to take the bed down and inspect. Anyone had this happen and have an idea of what I might be looking for when I get there? Thanks!
Ken

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
To help us. When you say tips, how much? Is this a cable slide?
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
It is hydraulic operated. When it starts going out, the bottom will travel out 8-12 inches before the top begins to move. The further out the slide goes, the more the top catches up ending up vertical when it reaches full extension. It follows the same path coming back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
To help us. When you say tips, how much? Is this a cable slide?
Lynwood
Old 04-29-2019, 07:05 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You need to get into the area under the bed to check that the slide mechanism is all intact and fully attached to the slide. It sounds like something has come loose. This is a photo of ours, with the plywood removed from the bed. I had a roller come loose that allows the bed to roll on the carpet, and that was why I had to access this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed slide.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	3615  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:08 AM   #5
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
That is what I was thinking too, because it wasn't a gradual change. One day it worked fine, the next it was tipping in. When the wx breaks a little, I'll get out to the storage area and wrestle the mattress off and give it a look.

I didn't know if this was a known issue with past models or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
You need to get into the area under the bed to check that the slide mechanism is all intact and fully attached to the slide. It sounds like something has come loose. This is a photo of ours, with the plywood removed from the bed. I had a roller come loose that allows the bed to roll on the carpet, and that was why I had to access this area.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Old 04-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
I had that problem with tipping. Turned out to be a bent ram arm- replaced same!
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:58 AM   #7
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
I had that problem with tipping. Turned out to be a bent ram arm- replaced same!

That sounds expensive

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Old 05-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #8
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
$600.00, yes expensive.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #9
jrsemrad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21904
If you determine the cause of the bent ram arm to prevent further problems, you can straighten the arm quite easily.
jrsemrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #10
daleyruss

M.O.C. #21187
We had the same problem and when we took the bed off and the plywood top, we found the six screws had pulled out of the wall board. We could not re-screw the original screws due to them being pulled out of the wall, so we attached the bed frame to the slide foundation. Twenty screws and a year later, all is still working!
daleyruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #11
Okie-Dokie
Established Member

M.O.C. #19048
Had the same problem in our 2012. Had to hold it up to help it slide properly. Finally able to get it into a repair shop. They determined it was broken bolts and not covered by the insurance. Good luck.
Okie-Dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #12
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Same as daleyruss.

We have a 2011 3465SA. Had that happen. Wife noticed that the bed was pulling away from the wall on one side. Opened up the bed and found that where the bed was attached to the wall, the screws had pulled out of the wall. I believe that as the ram was pushing the bottom of the bed out, the bed was letting go and not providing load at the bottom of the slide and the slide topper was holding the top in briefly. I added a 2x2 across the slide wall and secured at the base of the bed to the slide wall. Also added some screws through the side 2x2's into the section of floor that moves in and out with the slide wall. Works like new.
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #13
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Great photo Bob, I have under bed storage. Would this all be below that area? Also have access from outside hatch.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
Great photo Bob, I have under bed storage. Would this all be below that area? Also have access from outside hatch.

The 'under bed storage area' is limited to a plywood panel on top of the pine frame above all the slide mechanism area, so basically just linens are about all that fits there. When the few times I had to pull that panel off occurred, and it was so difficult to grab the plywood, I installed four screen door handles to the top of the plywood so the two of us can easily lift the panel from the bed frame. I still screw the plywood back down just to maintain the strength of the assembly.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:44 AM   #15
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
After disassembly, the screws holding the bed frame to the slide had been stripped out. I replaced the screws on the left and right side as well as the board across the top. It helped some, but still tipped when going in and out. It looks like the bed frame itself has loosened up and torques when it starts to tip. Time was an issue so I had to do what I could while I contemplate my next step. Probably as Daleyruss said, attach the frame to the base of the slide. The saga continues...

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Old 06-05-2019, 03:31 PM   #16
Oldblue
Established Member

M.O.C. #18879
Had the exact same problem as Dalyrus described. Opened the bed box and six screws had pulled out of the wall board. I put new screws in different spots, bought 4 small "L" braces and went from side walls into the floor ( use short screws so you don't go through the floor!) and the problem was solved. Fortunately my mechanism wasn't bent or anything.
Oldblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bedroom slide, tipping