Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #1
bubbagulf
Established Member

M.O.C. #16090
Adding access panel in basement

We have a 2014 3625.
We are thinking about putting an electric heater in the basement and are considering adding an access panel/door through the rear bulkhead of the basement to allow heat to reach the belly / tank area.
Has anyone tried this?

bubbagulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
J-KB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13875
Sounds like a nice idea, would love to see pics if you do it.
J-KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
No but that would be cool to do as we have Free electric at our Resort and that would save me from using propane to heat the underbelly on really cold nights
Old 02-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I just drilled some extra holes in the heat duct run.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I think I know the direction you're going with electric heat and making an access from the storage bay to the belly. There already is a small vent in the back of the storage wall to allow propane fired heat from the belly to the storage area or at least there is on my 2011. All models of the dropped frame that I have looked at seem to share the design in this area. The drawback of all this will be related to the fact the belly pan is no where near air tight or is the cutouts in the belly pan for stuff like spring mounts. There is also a 2" gap at the top of the rear storage compartment wall that connects directly to the belly pan area. There is also no wall for about 2' between the belly pan area and all the water fittings located behind the white plastic divider wall in your storage compartment. Unless you address all the air gaps in the belly pan material all along the frame and around the spring mounts, you'll find it quite breezy in the storage area and out the return registers under the steps on a windy day. The air return vents, the storage area, and the belly are all sorta sharing one air space under where you step up to the bedroom. If you doubt what I'm saying, remove a few screws from the rear wall in the storage area and take a peek behind.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
bubbagulf
Established Member

M.O.C. #16090
Thanks for the incite Dieselguy.... As many people say "Montana's are four season campers as long as winter is not one of them!"
I have noticed the gap at the top of the rear bulkhead but have be unable to verify if its open. I also haven't seen any screws/bolts mounting the bulkhead.

We have already noticed a lot of hot or cold air (depending on outside temp) coming from under the stairs when the bathroom fantastic fan is running.
Do you think that a small fan blowing back under the steps toward the under belly compartment would accomplish the same result as a heater in the storage compartment?

Thanks again for the response.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:32 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Here's my archived post about why you get the hot or cold air puffing out from the return vents under your stairs. The last photo shows batted insulation ... if I was to remove it, you can look clear back past the galley tank. I was doing the opposite of what you want to do ... I wanted to plug up the drafts as I don't keep anything in storage that matters. The blue foam above the wall further isolates the storage area. The screws are in the black/grey covered panels on your back wall ... you just have to look for them.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ms=design,flaw

On Edit ... I don't think a fan pointed at the return grills under each step will do what you want done. It's all connected to too much open space in the belly above the black corrugated plastic belly pan material.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:10 AM   #8
bubbagulf
Established Member

M.O.C. #16090
Thanks again Dieselguy. Once again confirms that a picture is worth thousand words.
Very disturbing though. Looks like burning LP is the only sure way (hopefully) to keep lines and tanks from freezing (Fresh water tank in 3625 is at rear of rig).
They also show why these take two A/C's to do the job that 1 A/C did in the Jayco Designer it replaced.

Stay Toasty
Old 02-19-2015, 04:31 AM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Another way to keep things from freezing, at least most of the time, is to follow the sun and stay where it's warm.