Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Truck bounce

How do you solve the bounce when those dips in the road sneek up on you, especially at bridges. I travel between 55 and 63 mph. It has gotten kinda scarey a couple times.

mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Nations roads are getting worse with the current economy. Best advice is to slow down or quit driving. Great choices eh? I also went to the MorRyde Independent Suspension for a better ride. Perhaps adding air bags to your truck might help somewhat.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Since we installed the 5th Airborne air hitch, we have not had that problem.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mojavemike

How do you solve the bounce when those dips in the road sneek up on you, especially at bridges. I travel between 55 and 63 mph. It has gotten kinda scarey a couple times.
Some people installed the MOR/ryde pin box. We went for the TrailerSaver air ride hitch. Really helps!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
We installed the Timbren kit on our truck. Does not take all of the bounce out, but help a lot. They only come into play when the truck is loaded.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Old Fogies

We installed the Timbren kit on our truck. Does not take all of the bounce out, but help a lot. They only come into play when the truck is loaded.
Do you have the air bag or rubber springs?
Old 07-08-2010, 04:05 AM   #7
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:

Some people installed the MOR/ryde pin box. We went for the TrailerSaver air ride hitch. Really helps!

Orv
Have the Mor/ryde pin box. It came withthe rig. I can see that it is working because of the wear marks. It looks like it takes care of the back and forth movement but not the up and down. It seems to do its job compared to my last 5ver.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:51 AM   #8
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:

Mike,

We started with Stock Pin Box and Reese 18K hitch. We added Firestone Air Springs (3 months ago), and both DW and I noticed big improvement in the ride, and especially the dips.

Last weekend I replaced the stock pin box with Mor/Ryde pin box. Haven't been on a trip yet, but just taking the Monty back to the storage area (12 miles away), I notice big improvement in the ride (jerkiness), especially when the torque converter is locked.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:00 AM   #9
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We run a 09 3400RL with a long box CC dually and orignally the bounce (chucking) wasn't from the truck but from the trailer itself. We have the Mor-ryde pin box and suspension.
We installed the dexter shock kit (four) and have eliminated the continual bounce over dips. We live in the northwest where frost raises he** with ours roads and leaves these huge dips so we have a lot of experience with uneven (wavy and frost cracks) roads.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
One question I have is, Is the hitch to far behind the axle? I know that a couple times I have towed ours a short distance with the slider in the back position which puts it about 6-8 inches behind the axle. When we have hit dips in the road the truck does bounce quite a bit more. Sometimes installers mount it where it is easy for them and not where it should be.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racerjoe

One question I have is, Is the hitch to far behind the axle? I know that a couple times I have towed ours a short distance with the slider in the back position which puts it about 6-8 inches behind the axle. When we have hit dips in the road the truck does bounce quite a bit more. Sometimes installers mount it where it is easy for them and not where it should be.
I have an 8 ft bed and I installed mine about a half inch in front of the axle.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Any 5th wheel hitch or Goose neck ball must be mounted just forward of the rear axle to maintain proper balance of your truck's steering, control ability and towed equipment. All manufactures of these hitchs strongly advise the above when installing a inbox hitch.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8e3k0

Any 5th wheel hitch or Goose neck ball must be mounted just forward of the rear axle to maintain proper balance of your truck's steering, control ability and towed equipment. All manufactures of these hitchs strongly advise the above when installing a inbox hitch.
Roger that
Old 07-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question but I read it as not having anything to do with the hitch but rather with the shock/spring action of those sudden dips and bumps. Am I wrong? If so, please ignore the rest of this post.

As for the dips and bumps, what I'm hearing is stronger shocks or springs would help reduce the reaction to those bumps. We have the Rancho adjustable shocks on our Dodge, not because of this problem but because I didn't like the Dodge ride when solo when we bought this one back in 2007. A friend suggested the Rancho adjustables and that made a huge difference.

I have learned through experimentation at what setting works best for me to minimize the reaction you talked about. It does make a significant difference although there is naturally still some reaction. So, I guess I'm suggesting you might consider either adjustable shocks or airbags. We had airbags on our Ford and that made a difference, too. Overload springs might be an alternative, too, although I'm not sure about that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

Quote:

Mike,

We started with Stock Pin Box and Reese 18K hitch. We added Firestone Air Springs (3 months ago), and both DW and I noticed big improvement in the ride, and especially the dips.

I think I will be adding bags or air springs to the TV and shocks to the Monty.

Have done a little research but still have a couple questions:
1. Has anyone tried the air bags and air springs and which did you like best?
2. Will it void my warranty if get the Dexter shock kit and someone other that Dexter install it?

Thanks

Last weekend I replaced the stock pin box with Mor/Ryde pin box. Haven't been on a trip yet, but just taking the Monty back to the storage area (12 miles away), I notice big improvement in the ride (jerkiness), especially when the torque converter is locked.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #16
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Old Fogies

Do you have the air bag or rubber springs?
It's the rubber springs. Was not sure about the air bag ride without a load. Two dealers I talked to prefered the Timbren Kit.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:05 AM   #17
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Not to start a truck war but when I bought my current truck the ride and control improved a LOT. My previous truck was a 2003 Ford 7.3D long bed 250. Solid truck and since has been updated.
Point is that the newer trucks improve the ride and control too.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:50 AM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I thought air bags and air springs were pretty much the same thing since the air is added to the bags and this improves the spring. There are mechanical spring improvements like what is provided by a Timbrens addon.

I opted for the air bags (air springs?) because of the flexibility. I can add air or release air to change the ride.

But this post is about the surprise when contacting an unexpected and unavoidable KaThunk of a pothole or seam in our decaying roads and highways. While you can't do much about the roads, all items mentioned here from the membership will help.

1. New vehicle - Bigger vehicle, fresh hardware and more capability
2. Air Bags, Air springs, helper springs - helps soften the ride at the rear end of the tow vehicle.
3. Larger and/or adjustable shocks - helps the truck get through the bumps - but what about the trailer?
3. Air bag bed hitch - helps soften the chucking and bucking but not just on bumps.
4. MorRyde or air bags for the hitch pin - softening the trailer load on the TV helps soften the ride overall.
5. MorRyde or other trailer suspension - helps the trailer through the dips and bumps of the road which then helps the TV.

Lots to consider, but all requiring your wallet. I improved my ride with Firestone Air Bags, installing hardware to go from an F-250 to an F-350 suspension, and getting larger wheels and tires. Unfortunately, nothing at the hitch, pin or the trailer, yet, so the the Monty still takes a beating.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #19
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Experiment. Last year I thought my camper was level when towing. At the fuel stations it looked like maybe it was a little nose high. I was getting a lot of chucking. I lowered the front 1 inch. That helped. I ran the Firestone air bags at 45psi.
This year I did not air the bags up at all (10psi is the minimum air pressure) and it seemed better still. Just squatted the truck down a bit in the back.
Some kind of air hitch like the Trailer saver would be the icing on the cake but not affordable at this time.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #20
northeastdiesel
Established Member

M.O.C. #9611
I also installed airbags on my dodge and both the DW and I noticed a huge improvement in the overall ride with the camper on and off. When going over dips in the roads it no longer felt like the camper was going to bottom out the truck and the truck handled better also. The install was easy if you can follow instructions and can turn a wrench and work from a creeper/or your back. Look at the pacbrake airbags for your dodge. You will be happy with them!
northeastdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote