Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2007, 02:48 PM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Well... it took two days, Dave, to get the taste out. Maybe should have run the faucets longer. I will next time. Used it in my mouthwash that night. Mistake. Had to walk around with my mouth wide open for a while. When I breathed on people for a little while there, some started looking around for the pool... That stuff cannot be washed back out of your mouth, either... Also, did not have any problem going to the bathroom the next day... Just thought I'd mention that for those of you out there who may be into "alternative" medicine...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:02 PM   #22
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dave,
I just want to repeat something I mentioned before. For every fresh water system, you need to keep natural light out. You can't have clear canisters or any type of clear or opaque water hose and not keep algae from forming. I only change my filters once a year and that is just because I want to. I have no algae in my canisters, but then they are not clear. It isn't necessary to "see" the filter.

This is just what we have learned through the years of full timing. Our experiences are not necessarily ones that others have. I just wanted to pass on this information for anyone that might desire it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Orv, you almost have me convinced to ditch the clear cannister housings. Still a little gun shy about not being able to see a problem developing, though. But I suppose that because of the clear covers, I actually WOULD see problems developing - as they would occur with a greater frequency... Kind of a "catch 22" isn't it?
Old 08-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #24
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I goota know something. When you were in college studying to be a science teacher, did you pay attention. Both Orv and I keep telling you the light causes the algae. Take our word for it both of us are older than you.
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #25
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Dave.. you don't have to get rid of your clear covers. Just get a cone (the flurescent orange ones) and cut the top so the hole is big enough for the filter to fit in. You can set it out or just under the rig in the shade and the sun does not get to it. It also holds the filter in the basement when we travel. We have been using this for over a year and have had no problems.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:20 AM   #26
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Dave, didn't you say the CG was on a well? If they don't chlorinate the water or treat it some way, you are going to get your algae start from that source. All water coming from a well has microns of algae already growing in it. You just don't see it without a microscope. When introduced to light and heat it blooms into a fast growing plant.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:35 AM   #27
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'm sure we are on a water well here at the CG. I thought we were on city water as we are right in town. Dave, I will get rid of my clear covers - just for you .

Someone here - can't remember who - has a three cannister system. I think one sediment and 2 carbon. He had a really neat setup on the back of his Monty to hold this setup.

My biggest concern was that these filters would reduce my water pressure. They don't.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:33 AM   #28
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've been on every type of water source you can imagine including a farmer's dug well. We have never gotten any algae in seven years of full time use.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:26 AM   #29
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
[quote]Originally posted by Dave Nowlin

I goota know something. When you were in college studying to be a science teacher, did you pay attention. Both Orv and I keep telling you the light causes the algae. Take our word for it both of us are older than you.
Dave Nowlin
/quote]

Dave: Quick question, have you any experience with portable water softers that use table salt to recharge? Do they work? Thanks
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:15 AM   #30
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Quote:
quote:

Dave: Quick question, have you any experience with portable water softers that use table salt to recharge? Do they work? Thanks
We have been using one for about 7 months and it works well.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:52 AM   #31
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
bigmurf

We have table salt water softener, LOVE IT!!!

This is the one we have:

http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/

While in the RGV, my hair, and the yorks hair was impossible to comb after wash/drying. Felt like there was concrete in there and hair broke off a LOT! After the water softener was added, no such problems.

Also had stains from minerals on sink, after adding water softener, stains decreased and eventually disappeared.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:07 AM   #32
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Dave,
Don't want to beat a dead horse but to support what Orv said, here is a quote from... http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/DW...dCanisters.htm

Our canisters are built of rugged plastic, which won't corrode, and are available in opaque white and clear. The clear makes it easy to check on your cartridge, but if left outside in the light, algae will grow. They work well when mounted under the sink, but if you're going to set up your canisters where light is plentiful, use the white.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:15 AM   #33
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Also take a look at the screened washer at the connection at the 5th wheel.
We had a little problem in Yuma last winter, but the little screen was the collection point for the algae.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:04 PM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by virgil47

Dave,
Don't want to beat a dead horse but to support what Orv said, here is a quote from... http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/DW...dCanisters.htm

Our canisters are built of rugged plastic, which won't corrode, and are available in opaque white and clear. The clear makes it easy to check on your cartridge, but if left outside in the light, algae will grow. They work well when mounted under the sink, but if you're going to set up your canisters where light is plentiful, use the white.
Thanks, Virgil. Appreciate the info. I made the decision to switch when this first occurred. I apologize for leading some on here.

BTW, Dave, I too am a Christian businessman. Hopefully I'm better at that than I apparently am as a science teacher, eh?
Old 08-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #35
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Naughty, naughty!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!! Glad to see someone else with a twisted sense of reasoning and humor Dave. Almost as good as a thread I was reading on rv.net:
I will post it under Sitting Around the Campfire, GOOD READING!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #36
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
As for the question regarding the use of a water softner which is regenerated by salt. When I worked facilities maintenance at the printing plant, I worked in the bolier house. Among the various things we operated and maintained was a sodium zeolite water softner for our boiler feedwater and yes we used rock salt which was disolved in the brine tank to regenerate it. It is a proven principle for softners which use certain types of beds. By beds I mean the medium inside the softner which does the work. Sodium Zeolite is one of the more common materials used, but there are others.
Regarding our teacher friend's response, what kind of business are you in youngun? Remember run it by Christian principles and you will be successful. Maybe not rich but successful. Rich isn't all it's cracked up to be from my observations. I can't speak from experience as I'm not wealthy as money isn't the primary driving force in my life.
Dave Nowlin
Old 08-12-2007, 12:42 AM   #37
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I believe that you are blessed so that you can be a blessing to others. Money is only a tool that is given to us to be stewards of, and to be used to do good. Prosperity means that all your needs are met, you have a successful relationship with your spouse and your children, and that you are enjoying the pursuit of your dreams. It does not mean that you should win the lottery. You are not prosperous if you have a lot of money and you are miserable. Know anyone like that? With more money comes more responsibility.

This of course needs to be tempered with a saying that I heard from a wealthy Christian businessman (yes, they are out there):

"I've been with money and I've been without money in my life and I can tell you which is better..." As long as your principles and motives are right...
Old 08-12-2007, 02:54 AM   #38
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dsprik is exactly right. A blessing is a gift and should ALWAYS be used to bless others. I acknowledge every day how blessed my family is, and pray fervently that the blessings will multiply to others and positively impact others. Positive reinforcement of others is usually the most effective blessing that we can share, spread blessings by prayer ans the spoken word, spread joy, spread THE WORD and the returns will multiply beyond human comprehension. Note that this is my opinion but I acknowledge that the source is or should be very well known.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 02:54 AM   #39
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A UV light piped in the water system will kill algae, I have a UV light mounted inside my A-coil plenum on our furnace, and one piped into the system in our Koi Pond.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:15 AM   #40
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
A UV light is effective and in your A-Coil application it is dealing with airborne viruses and bacteria, however it is often missused in applications where the length of exposure isn't sufficient to kill these micro-organisms.
Some want to deny the source of our knowledge and wisdom but we count time from His birthdate, not mine or yours.
You still didn't tell me what kind of business youngun. The previous owner of my Monte is a Christian businessman who owns 20 Sonic Drive-ins. He and his wife typically spend 6 weeks in the RGV annually. So some of you may have rubbed shoulders with Johnny and his family. You may even have set foot in my Monte down there.
Dave Nowlin