Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
Bill R H

M.O.C. #7218
Navigation system for Chevy

I was wondering if anyone has been using the navagation system offered on the Chevy 3500 truck. I'm going to be buying one in a few months and was wondering if it is worth 2,250.00 dollars they are asking. Thanks Bill

Bill R H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Bill, We just went thru the same thing, we were thinking of going with the 07.5 or 2008 and ordered the Truck with every option available. Because we were trading a 2006 Chevy Kodiak and didn't want to lose so much because our Kokiak cost more. After talking to the sales person we decided not to order the Nav system. Because On-Star will give you directions also, and we already had a Garmin 2720 street pilot. I just couldn't see paying that much, and its build into the dash and if you have problem getting it repaired could be have bad thing. But after all that we went with the 2007 Chevy Classic, because of the emissions system being new. I did a lot of research and the DPF system could be very troublesome until GM gets all the bugs out. Good Luck with your choice, keep in mind the Duramax is the most powerful truck on earth..... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Bill,

We had to buy a new Nuvi from Garmin because our c330 was stolen. It was on suction-cupped to the windshield, I forgot to remove it and while visiting my family in San Diego, someone broke the passenger side window and the rest is history.

So, the positive is this. In the 3500 crew cab, the spot where the passenger side air bag lock goes (just below the a/c vent and to the right of the radio), is now a cubby hole. I removed the suction cup from the GPS mount and screwed it in to the cubby hole top. It is now suspended from the the top of the cubby hole. It is now in perfect view and yet out of sight!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill R H

I was wondering if anyone has been using the navagation system offered on the Chevy 3500 truck. I'm going to be buying one in a few months and was wondering if it is worth 2,250.00 dollars they are asking. Thanks Bill
I couldn't see the $2,250 when you can get a Garmin 2720 street pilot for $400 - $500. What possible feature could it have for the additional $1,750? I think the navigation system and the sun roof were the only options I didn't get.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751

[/quote]

I couldn't see the $2,250 when you can get a Garmin 2720 street pilot for $400 - $500. What possible feature could it have for the additional $1,750? I think the navigation system and the sun roof were the only options I didn't get.
[/quote]

Same here...even got the Garmin 2720.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
As some of you may know from previous posts, I am a Nuvi 350 owner and just love it. No longer the current model (but still very good),it has taken me across the city, across the country, and back. It does get a little ornery when you don't follow directions though, but she does get over it.

If mine were to get stolen or damaged, I would buy another immediately.
I use it everyday for my work. No more maps!

On edit - didn't answer your question...

The good part is it's embedded, the bad part is you can't put it in your pocket for on foot and it's VERY pricey.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
When I bought my 06 Silverado 3500 last July - a nav sys was not an option. I was able to get a Pioneer Z1 for about $1800. I didn't want something hanging off the windshield or on the dash. I wanted a large view - like 7". I wanted it mounted in the dash to lessen the chance of being stolen. It is very easy to see while driving. If you turn of the track on purpose or by accident, it automatically recalculates your position and get you back on track. JMHO

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
the big problem is try to program it in your monta at nite when the garman you can take it inside to do any thing , the the next day go and not sit there while you program it ,, i had 1 in a nissan and i love my garman
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the factory nav system on the 2007 Tahoe and LOVE IT!!!!!!!! I will be ordering my next Duramax with one for sure.

On side note, the Tahoe also has the back up camera that appears on the nav system screen when it is put into reverse. It makes hooking up the wave runners and golf cart a breeze...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:29 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto Montana Sky, we (note that we means DW!!!) has a new 07 Suburban LTZ with the nav system, back up camera and radio all built into the dash system. Display is large enough to easily see. The system is definitely impressive and of course would be a major task for a thief to remove. Another added benefit (????) is the rear DVD can be played on the front screen (thankfully only when the vehicle is in park). Sounds like an idiotic feature, but if you are ever stuck in traffic behind an accident or similar, I can see using it. Bottom line, we are impressed with the system and are glad we have it, but as with anything... cost versus benefit is a personal decision.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:42 AM   #11
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Not meaning to sidetrack this thread, but I have to admit that a backup camera on the rear plate (as well as the trailer) could be very useful. Maybe next time around.
Now if I want such an item, it would either be something cheesy, or very expensive (I'm no wiring guru).
There is something to be said for these extras from the factory.
They do tend to fit in well with the total package.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:42 AM   #12
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
We just purchased the Garmin Nuvi 660 along with a extra dash mounting bracket off of Ebay. We're now able to use the Nav System in both my Truck and the wife's car. Being able to utilize the system for "Both" vehicles and when we're out & about was the deciding factor rather than paying a large amount and only having access when driving that particlar vehicle. This works for us.
Koerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:09 AM   #13
k0nsa
Established Member

M.O.C. #7073
Send a message via ICQ to k0nsa Send a message via AIM to k0nsa Send a message via Yahoo to k0nsa
I replaced the factory radio in my 2006 2500HD Durmax with the Delphi Touch Screen Navigation Radio and I love it. I can be listening to the XM radio and the drivers side speake will mute a bit when the navigation voice needs to alert me to some action I need to take. The touch screen is large and easy to read as well as use and I have heard that you can connect up a backup camera to the unit as well but haven't tried that yet or really looked into it, but probably will down the road. We're just getting our first new 5th wheel next Friday...
k0nsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #14
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I bought a Tom tom for 300 bucks works perfect plus can move it to car to car, far less that 1500-2000 they want for factory, plus the factory system is CD based not satellite based.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We have the 2004 nav in our Expedition, and to be honest, I take my Nuvi and leave the Ford Nav off. The Ford was $2200 something and costs $250 for uptdates. It can't say street names, and I have to swap CDs when I cross the state line in most cases.

The new ones are much improved. The back up camera alone might be enough for me to reconsider if we replace a vehicle, plus they are much more bluetooth friendly and will connect wirelessly to cell phones, I-pods, etc.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our Dodge has the NAV system built in. It's not the GM but I'd bet it's pretty similar. In any case, we're two days down the road and I've not yet even learned how to operate the onboard system. Having looked through the manual I think I'll stay with my Garmin2720.

Reasons.

1. I can program the Garmin while sitting in the house using my laptop, then just upload to the Garmin. Much easier and more comfortable.

2. The 2720 sits on the dash, directly in front of me. No need to turn my head to see the details of the upcoming turn. That can be critical in heavy traffic, especially when a lane change is required.

3. If something newer and better comes out that I want, it will be much easier to replace the portable Garmin than the builtin unit.

4. Would I order the builtin NAV system if we were ordering a new truck? No.

I do understand others' opinons may differ and that's fine. The above are mine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:35 AM   #17
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Steve how is the Dodge in turning with the Mega Cab do you come close to the cab?
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Don't forget on the GM while the nav system is CD based, you do get two free upgrades w/ the purchase of the vehicle. Also, you have Onstar that now offers real time directions via the Onstar system. It is part of their directions and connections package.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

Steve how is the Dodge in turning with the Mega Cab do you come close to the cab?
Broome, the megacab shortbed is the same shortbed as on the other Dodge trucks. It's five inches shorter than Ford's and two inches shorter than GM's. However, the critical measurement, axle to cab, is only 1 inch shorter than our Ford.

We've only towed three days' worth, 650 miles, but I don't think there will be any more problem than with any other shortbed. Here's a couple of pictures we took with two fingers worth of clearance. I wouldn't do this on uneven ground but that's the same as with our Ford.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote