Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Feedback on tire pressure monitors

I need some feedback on those who have the tire pressure monitor on how many Sensors should I get. A loss of pressure resulting in a flat on the camper is to me very scarry and can result in big damage to the camper not to mention cause a serious accident.My experience is a flat on the Tv is a rare occurance whereas a flat on the camper is fairly common. This is not a money issue but what is practical..Tell me what you guys have... I am going to order the doran system soon as I can make up my mind.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345

Rich. Your gonna get a dozen different answers. Some of us are taking a chance and saying we can handle a flat on the Truck. So I have pressure-pros on the trailer only. Being an olé army aviator, I think I can feel and hear something different than normal and will take the appropriate actions in time. Saying that, a blow out, no one can predict. and I guess if you really want to be covered, put it on all of your tires. In either case, they are worth the money.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
With your dually you could have a flat on one of them and not know it.
As you have indicated definitely on the trailer. I also added one on the spare so I knew it was up to pressure. I did the Tow Vehicle and spare also. I turned my system back in because my ham radio interfered with their receiver. I like the concept and keep watching for one on a different frequency than 430 MHZ.
I hope this answers your question.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
If it were I, I would use the doran for the four trailer tires and the front two p/u tires. I would get the pressure caps for the dual and the trail spare. In that way, you can visually check the tires that are extra or less at risk, and monitor live those that if lost can make a huge difference immediately. Just an idea.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I had 4 sensers on the Montana and 4 sensers on the truck.The ones on the truck walked away short time ago.I haven`t replaced them yet,and not sure I will.I just might keep the ones on the Montana and forgo the truck sensers.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:46 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was thinking along the same lines as Mike, 4 on the camper and 2 of the front tires of the TV.To me these are the high risk areas. I have had, on my busses, flats on one of the duallies and never knew it or was able to get it stopped without incident. A blowout is a blowout and the tire monitors will not give a advance warning of a blowout, that is a instant and catastrophic failure.The gradual loss of pressure that can result in tire failure or a blowout can be detected by the monitors. A failure of a front Tv tire is also of great concern as it is more apt to result in a loss of control. All of this input is very helpful.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:37 AM   #7
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Rich, We use the Doran for more monitoring tire pressure in addition to the low pressure alarm. Using the up or down button on the in cab display, you can get a readout of the air pressure in each tire and head off a potential problem if one starts to go down. It also eliminates the hassle of removing valve caps and using an air guage. Having a sensor on all tires just gives us a little better peace of mind.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 AM   #8
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Rich,
If it is not a matter of money, why would you pay $200+ for the monitoring device, add a repeater or antennae for another $90 or so and then not spend the last $160 for the last 4 tire monitors. Just having the convienience of not having to physically check the pressure in your duallys would certainly be worth the extra $160 for me. jmnsho
on edit---Don and I must have been typing at the same time, we sure were thinking alike.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:56 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I said in my original post that "this is not a money issue, but what is practical" I agree that a sensor on all the tires makes sense and the difficulty of checking the inside duallies on the Ford would be worth the cost of the sensors.I was drawing on my own experience and the experience of others who use the system. It would appear the a sensor on all the tires IS practical..
Old 05-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
neighborman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #323
Rich, After an undetected blowout on the fifth wheel, I got the PressurePro system and really love it. I may get sensors for the truck at a later date, but right now just the trailer. From what I've read, most blowouts are caused from underinflation, usually because of a small leak. I think that is what caused my blowout, as one time as I was checking the tire pressure prior to a trip, I found this tire at 35 lbs. I replaced the leaky valve stem and went on my trip. The tire didn't fail till about a year later. I think that tire was actually heat damaged during the time the pressure was too low. I am very pleased with the PressurePro system.
neighborman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
>

Don't forget, if you get a blowout on a front TV tire, to step on the gas until under control and then slow down.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:33 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are correct Mike.. I have had front blow outs on some really big vehicles and that is the theory..what happens in reality is another story..and when you are pulling something really big hooked on to the truck, like a Montana, it is a whole different ball game.It that first couple of seconds when the tire blows and the truck begins to swerve or lean to one side that action is transmitted to the camper behind you..you are no longer are dealing with just the truck but with the camper as well..A flate tire is scarry under any circumstance and with the new technology a flat/ blowout on a car/PU truck is not very common. I learned in my truck driving days and as a school bus driver to pay BIG attention to proper tire maint and I can not remember the last time we had a tire failure..however..these camper tires concern me as does a flat on the camper..so the Dorian goes on before our next big trip..
Old 05-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Has anyone found a lower price than $590 for the system + 8 monitors? If so, Where?
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:46 AM   #14
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Phil, On March 19th, we bought the Pressure Pro for $495 which included six monitors. Additional montors are $40 each. This would make your eight come to $475. We bought from the Canton Bandag Co. in Canton, Ohio. We found them by doing a dealer search on the Doran website. Their phone number is 330-454-3025. Ask for Dick. He owns the company and is a fine Christian person.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:49 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
590.00 for 8 monitors shipping included seems to be the going price even direct from Doran Canton Bandag as well as Rv upgrades both about a hour from our driveway carry the syetem. Will flip a coin.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:29 AM   #16
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
How can you tell if there is a dealer in your area? I looked but couldn't find one.

Carol

Make an excellent Father's day present.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #17
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi All,
I talked to RVcams, the other day, to ask about the distance the caps could be seen by the Monitor. I told Him mine would be about 40' away (probably closer to 30'). He said they probably would be OK. My axles are a little further away (TT, Quad Cab, 8' Bed) from my dash than some of you that have 5ers. We're 56' overall.
To those of you using the Doran PP, are you having any problems receiving the signal?
Yes I'm "CHEAP" don't want to buy the additional external ant.
Thanks,
Steve
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:36 PM   #18
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
After you install the system if you need the external antenna you can add it then. You may want to try several locations for the receiver.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #19
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our Cambridge is 39'7" and our Pressure works find, and we don't have the seperate antenna... I have been told that 90% of all tire failure is caused by low air pressure. We have all Alcoa Aluminum wheels and have sensors on all wheels. They are a tight fit but they will fit all our wheels. The Pressure Pro system works great, it sure saved us, we had two Aluminum wheels (by Tredit) crack this past winter. We replaced all those wheels. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:02 AM   #20
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
In regards to front tire blow outs while towing...
A year ago we were headed west out of San Antonio on a busy Friday afternoon on I-10 with our Nomad TT. Was in right lane doing 65 when I felt something funny in the steering wheel... it progressed to the rest of the truck. Before spouse could say "What's that?!?!", the left front tire blew, leaving the wheel well shield along with some of the tread on the road behind us. It took 90 degrees right steering wheel to keep it in my lane, and although I was "right there" for an exit, I kept it straight and off the brakes until below 20. The rest is "typical" for chaninging a tire (after disconnecting the trailer from the truck as the air from the passing 18 wheelers was rocking the TT and I didn't want the TT to shake the truck off the jack!!).

The "irony" is that a friend of ours was heading out of Houston towards Dallas that same day. He had nearly the same sequence of events... the only difference is that he pulled a little more on the steering wheel to take the exit that he was right there at... The fire department had to use the jaws to get him, his wife and two dogs out of the cab of the inverted truck, and a front-end loader had to be used to get the "kindling wood" off the road of what was his TT.

Moral: If you do have a blow out at or near interstate speeds, keep "her" straight until down below 20mph - then get your rig off the road, and you'll be able to tell your story later with a smile on your face!!

Happy, and SAFE travels to all...

John
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote