Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Prescriptions on the road

How do you manage your monthly prescriptions while on the road. We are 6 months in FL at one park and it's no problem. I get an allergy shot every 3 weeks and go to the local clinic. Prescriptions get picked up at Winn Dixie once a month.

But we are looking to go full time and will spend the 6 months April 1st to Oct 1st On The Road. Samuel uses the Veterans Affairs but I don't have that option.

vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We are using Wal-Mart for our prescription. Only problem my wife's doctor can't call in new prescription while we were in Texas. We just make sure we have written prescription, depending on the length of time away from Home Base we will get new scrip without date...GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We also use Sam's Club/Walmart because they are everywhere. Carol just called the other day to her doctor for a renewal and the doctor called the local Sam's Club in Michigan. We then picked up the prescription in Florida. No problem at all. We used to use Walgreens for the same reason, they are everywhere and all on their computers.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
I get my prescriptions through the mail using Express Scripts. My doctor gives me a new prescription once a year and I get 3 months of meds on each refill.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We also use WalMart and Walgreens and for the same reasons -- connected computer systems and widely diversified distribution centers. We also have Medicare part D. We found that our prescriptions were significantly cheaper than for the same prescriptions through Express Scripts for a three month supply. Our supplemental insurance uses Express Script for non-Medicare and Prescription Solutions for Medicare. I have not figured out why there is such a difference, but there was a $400+ difference between the two on our order just today. That was on just three scripts. In any case, that $125 per month savings on those three.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:02 AM   #6
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We are leaving next week for 7 months and I have made sure we have 2 scripts for each medicine that we take, one for 1 year with refills that we will fill at Walmart/Walgreens because of their computer system and a script for 1 month for each as a back up. We us Caremark as part of our retiree medical but when I spoke to them they will on do a one time distribution of 5 months. We have also obtained samples from our Doctors as a back up. As for calling in prescriptions, it can be done anywhere in the US, as a RN who has worked for an office I have called precriptions into pharmacies all over the country. There is no reason why a practice won't do other than they don't want too.

Dorothy Weber
Manakin Sabot, VA
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We've been on the road for over 7 years and the Walmart/Walgreen method works just fine. I also get some scrips from Canada through the mail.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jretz

I get my prescriptions through the mail using Express Scripts. My doctor gives me a new prescription once a year and I get 3 months of meds on each refill.
Yep, mail order is the way to go.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
As another suggestion, I use Longs. Went into Longs and asked the pharmacy tech to help me out with my meds. I gave her my credit card number, and when I need another month of meds, I call her and give her an address to ship to. Shipping is $3 and I get them in two days.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Thank you all for these ideas. I once went to WalMart and they said their computers were not linked, but they would move a scrip from one to the other. I need to talk to someone at Walgreens. The 3 months of pills would help a lot. I need to also ask my doctor to write a scrip for 3 months fill.

I knew there was a way or you people wouldn't be out there. Hope to join you all soon.
vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:02 AM   #11
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I have the same concerns due to going fulltime very soon. I go once a month to talk with the PA at my doctors office, and to get my med scripts. He has agreed to go with a two month supply for me so I don't have to drive down there every month. Once I know what state I'm going to in the fall, they will locate a doctor in that area for me so I can get my scripts that way. One of the meds cannot have refills due to those pesky laws we have...LOL Hopefully, this won't turn into a big problem.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:02 AM   #12
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I have the same concerns due to going fulltime very soon. I go once a month to talk with the PA at my doctors office, and to get my med scripts. He has agreed to go with a two month supply for me so I don't have to drive down there every month. Once I know what state I'm going to in the fall, they will locate a doctor in that area for me so I can get my scripts that way. One of the meds cannot have refills due to those pesky laws we have...LOL Hopefully, this won't turn into a big problem.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:43 AM   #13
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Wal-Mart, my doctor can even call them. We get most of our meds in Mexico, but I have one I have to get at Wal-Mart.
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Being so far behind I haven't read all the other replies so please forgive if I only repeat.

Rx on the road has been no problem at all. When ready to refill we take the bottle to a pharmacy and ask them to transfer it. Walmarts usually have it already in their system if it was last refilled at another Walmart. If at a non-Walmart, they will call and transfer it. This is true not only of Walmart but any of the large pharmacy chains. And possibly local pharmacies, too.

If a new Rx, we just take the paper scrip to whatever pharmacy to be filled. Or, we give the doctor's office a phone number and they call in the rx for us.

If the Rx says "no refills," most pharmacies will call the doctor for you to get a new rx. Some will ask you to call your doctor and have them call in a new rx.

The only thing we have to watch for is to make sure the pharmacy accepts our insurance. I learned long ago not to ask if they take Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas. Since all BCBS plans communicate the claims I just ask if they take BCBS and give them my insurance info. If they seem to have reservations about it being another state, as some of the hired help do, I just tell them just to submit it to their BCBS and it will work. And it does.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:38 AM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
For those of you who are retired military: I was able to get a 90 day supply from my mil pharmacy. My doc also renewed all of them for the next year and he wrote me paper prescriptions in case I needed them (also proves what I have is mine). The pharmacy tells me that all mil pharmacys are computer linked so I can get refills at any mil pharm. This I will see once we start travelling. In case of no mil pharm being available, I can use the paper rxs at a civilian pharm and just pay my copay of either $3.00 or 9.00. I will try and use a national brand pharm, i.e. Walmart, Costco, CVS, whichever is available when I first need them, then I can just have them transferred.

I think it may take a little more planning to be near a mil base when ready for refills, if possible, if not, oh well !! After the first year I will have to see a new doc somewhere to get them renewed again. Pain in keester, but worth the trouble of travelling.....

Hopes this helps some of you that are mil and wondering what to do......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #16
stuart01

M.O.C. #7846
We have been using the USPS Premium Forwarding Program to get 3 months of meds at once via mail using our existing mail address. If helpful, more at the thread " Temporarily forwarding mail to one post office" in this forum.

Cheers!

Tim Stuart
stuart01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #17
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have Blue Cross Blue Shield and use Walgreens. They are BCBS approved and seem to be at or near most places we have been. The doctor calls our local Walgreens and we pick it up wherever we are. Like Steve, we used Sam's (Wal-Mart) but they are not approved by our BCBS.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:36 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
pparamore,
I'm also retired military and I don't even try to be near a military base. The co-pays are so minimal that it's not worth trying to route ourselves near a base. I use Express Scripts for mail orders and Wal-Mart when I need the meds quicker than mail order. Has worked excellently for us for the over seven years we've been full timing.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:24 AM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We found that Costco is a good solution. Costco is computer networked so your prescription can easily be filled from any store in any state.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:00 AM   #20
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I have been on projects that take me away from home for up to a year. My doctor phones in a prescription to my home pharmacy and they transfer to any pharmacy in the same chain. I have even had one chain store phone to another in a different chain but they are not as willing to do this. There was a problem bringing 3 months supply into the US from Canada at the border but after a short explanation I was cleared through.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote