Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
summers
Established Member

M.O.C. #11018
3585SA

We are going to go full time after we sell our stick & brick, hopefully this next spring or summer. We will be upgrading our sob 5th wheel. My question is, what do the owners of the 3585SA think of yours? I would appreciate hearing not only the positives but also the negatives and things to look for with this model.
Thanks for the help, Mark

summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
We love ours. Having the rear kitchen gives you a large living area and excellent cross cross ventilation during the spring and fall. It would be nicer if they had designed and subsequently connected the rear galley tank to the main dump system and this would preclude the use of a "Y" sewer connector when all tanks are connected. Note, we seldom hook up the galley tank until it is about 3/4 full and then drain it.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
We love ours.It works well when you have company for dinner.We can cook in the rear and guests can visit without getting in the way. Living area feels real spacious and easy to watch movies etc.We would definately buy another 3585.Good luck.

Steve
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Welcome. This is a great place to get answers and meet some great people.

I have had a 3585SA for two years now and here are mine and the DW's pro's and cons.

Pro's
- Rear kitchen is great and we have not had problems with dishes bouncing or cupboards opening. This gives an open living room where you and your guests can sit directly across from each other.
- All in one washroom. The DW insisted on this and I am glad she did. The separate sliding door from the bedroom is nice and I installed a passage lock on it and the door from the hallway.
- TV over fireplace is just plain cozy on those chilly spring and fall evenings especially when sipping a nice wine and the right music is playing on the stereo ........

Con's
- No place for shoes and little room for coats in the closet which is on the other side of trailer from door.
- No pantry which wasn't that important to us but could be for those long trips.
- The two separate gray tanks are a pain as I have to set up a "Y" connection or move the hose each time I dump the kitchen tank.
- The slide out desk tray in the front of the kitchen counter is next to useless.

We like our floor plan and feel it best met our requirements and would select it again. I have some ideas for the shoe problem which involves the space under the steps but this is going to require moving some electrical and bracing the bottom step.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
summers
Established Member

M.O.C. #11018
Thank you for the replies. We are going to a RV show tommorow in Denver and there will supposedly be at least one 3585 at the show. I will have to check out the holding tank situation and the use of a Y branch. The big selling point to us is the rear kitchen and the more open living area. The seperate bathroom is also a good selling point, so I'm glad to hear these were good points for all of you. Rcn, thank you for the heads up about the shoe and coat storage. I'll have to hide this from the DW, she has lots of shoes and is having a tough enough time trying to decide what to keep and what has to go.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
The closet in the bedroom has a shoe tray. It's just that there is no place to put shoes when you come in the door. My DW has shoe fever also. I think it has to do with two XX chromosomes. The pair thing carries over to shoes ;-0
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #7
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
We also love our 3585SA floor plan, although I admit there are a couple of things on my "wish" list. Here's some pros and cons:

Pros
* Nothing has come out of the cabinets on traveling
* Rear galley gives us the feeling of three separate areas - galley, living room and bedroom
* Folks enter into our living room instead of feeling like they are coming straight into the kitchen
* No worry about splashing water onto carpet/furniture/people when doing dishes!
* I can stand in front of the oven to look in, take things out/in instead of standing to the stand. Big plus in my book!
* Bath is toilet/shower/lavatory which is accessible from the bedroom or the hallway which is nice when one has guests
* Very spacious living room
* We can still function with slides in (get to bed/bath) and with one slide just a bit out we can get to the fridge. (We have had to do this already when we had a spell of high winds and brought in the slides out of caution.)
* Main windows are on the sides, not at the back, and we like the openness of this (during a snowfall we turned the recliners around to face the windows and just watched the "show")

Cons
* No desk/office area, but I improvise with a little laptop table for my PC and the top of the dog crate for a desk
* Wish we had an entry closet for jackets; however, we remedied that with Command hooks on the wall by the door

All in all, we are very pleased with this floor plan. Even when we look at other models and/or makes, we both agree we like ours the best!

Good luck and happy hunting!

Betty
TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
DW and I our on our 3rd season with our 3585SA. It is everything we wanted and more. As others mentioned, it is very nice to have the rear kitchen and a very spacious living area. We really don't have any cons other than the china bomb tires and the mountain scene on the passenger side cracking. Ours is an 08 model and the rear kitchen galley tank is connected to the main dumping system so it is not a problem. It has incredible storage inside and out. I tow it with an 04 F 350 6.0 PSD and its like its not even there.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
summers
Established Member

M.O.C. #11018
A little update, I went to the RV show and I think they have changed the dumping of the kitchen grey water from your units Tim & RCN. It looks like it is now connected to the main dump line put the pull handle is in back under the kitchen area. RCN, they had a Bighorn fifth wheel and your idea for under the stairs for storage is what it had. The stairs have slidding drawers in both of them. One word of caution though, I'm not possitive but I think in the Montana the grates in the stairs are used for return air to the furnace, and if so the area needs to remain open. Thanks again for all the replies, I'm sold on the floor plan for all the above reasons and I'm not seeing any real negatives about the quality other than maybe tires and decals. Thanks