Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Why Do Dogs Eat Grass

There is a bit in this article about "seniors."

Why Do Dogs Eat Grass

If you know of any other reasons, please, please, post them.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
I bet you are asking this question because you have a dog who eats grass and then vomits it up again ... maybe inside your Montana?? That can be a very unpleasant occurence and, if repeated, a real problem. I don't have the answer but I can share what I have learned being a dog breeder/exhibitor for 38 years.

Why do they do it? Well, not all do and then some do it often. I find it is more common in the spring when the new grass is fresh and sweet. Nibble some yourself and you will see. I find that some dogs gobble up the new stuff and usually don't have a problem with it. However, if they go for the wider grasses, they often vomit. I asked some dog show friends of mine once and they had noticed the same thing. These blades are sharper on the edges and, perhaps, more irritating to their stomachs. I think that the dog senses that their "inners" aren't just right and do what nature has given them the ability to do ... purge. Aggravating - yes - but maybe a clue. I have one dog who will eat the leaves of weeds when he is hungry and then vomit. I think that is how he deals with that growling stomach.

So what to do about it? Well, here are some suggestions. First, feed your dog a good quality food. I do not feed the grains wheat or corn to my dogs. These "grain free" foods are becoming much more obtainable as research has shown that these two grains are not good for dogs and owners are responding to that. They do contain rice and oatmeal, though, as these are more easily digested.

Second, I do feed green beans. The article you sent said that dogs don't like raw vegetables. Well, that certainly isn't the case around here. I can add french style, frozen green beans and they think they have quite the treat. I mix it with their regular food. As a little side info, if you have a dog who is overweight, limit the kibble and feed mostly the green beans. It will take the weight right off. I use the french style because they like them more. Sounds funny, I know. I think it is the thinner texture. I do have small dogs so it might not be true for larger ones.

Third, feed twice a day. That way they never get that hungry feeling. You need to be sure that you don't increase the total amount, though. Measure. Some people free feed which means that they leave food down all the time. That wouldn't work for me as I have one dog who would snarf the whole thing and not let the others have any! I don't like that method because I can't regulate the intake based on their needs. Personal choice.

Fourth, have your dog's stool checked for worms. I know that is unappealing but the presence of worms can irritate and the dog then does the vomiting routine to relieve it.

I hope one or all of these suggestions helps you out. Let us know.

Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wayne, First, break down and buy some dog food for Miya. Just joking, of course. Villa doesn't eat grass but Sunny the cat does, then he throws it up in the trailer. Can't wait for him to become "Age Limited" (if you catch my drift). Acually I love him to pieces, especially when he has explosive vomiting in my bed and down my arm when it is bedtime, Yep, love him to pieces. We were using the green bean diet with Villa and she started getting picky about which green beans she would eat so we went to A CORE Wellness formula feed, (light) to get her to NOT look like me. Working very slowly. Her, not me. I have given up on me.......

BTW, My anti virus program (Kaspersky), would not let me download your link due to it picking up a trojan virus. Probably just my antivirus software.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Our two golden's eat grass like cattle. The one eats just the grass and the other one eats roots and all. The best part is the very seldom throw up. They eat a premium dog food $54 buck for a 50# bag. I don't get it.
I did see a show one time where they were trying to figure this out. They couldn't agree why dogs eat grass.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Okay all! I posted the link because we laughed and laughed and laughed when I read it out loud to Earlene. It was written with a humorous twist. Having worked in a veterinarian office for several months, and having a very good friend that is a veterinarian, I get all the expert advice that I can handle. Oh! And for me he makes house calls. Hows that for service.

Miya, our Husky Mix has been on Bentiful since she was a puppy. I feed her twice a day, and the recommended dosage by my veterinarian, who is my friend. She occasionally gets the last piece of crust from a bread or toast. She is not fed meat products, other than what is in the dry dog food. (We do wet it a little for her) At 70 pounds she is health, strong, intelligent, obedient (to a limit) and all the traits that we like in a pet.

Come on, the article starts out stating that no one has asked a dog two questions?
“Do you like the taste?” and “If it tastes so good, why do you throw it up?”

Lynn, it then goes on to point out all the things you posted, about grass.

Now Phil, I can't help you with the cats. Cat food is very very high in protein. Matter of fact is that it is so rich in protein that a cat cannot digest it all, and when it expels, the excrement is rich in protein. That is why a dog will jump on a pile and gobble it down. Did I ever tell you about the first time my dog picked up something off the ground and I reached in her mouth and pulled it out. Well, I'm not going to on here either.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Cathy tried to rescue an old bone from Sam, when he was around, she ended up in the ER getting stitches. I'm sure Sam felt bad, of course you don't reach into a dogs mouth when he/she has a morsel. If Villa picks something up I just tell her to "drop it" and she complies. BTW, I did not know that about cats, perhaps I should look for a lower protein cat food, Thanks Wayne....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Here is a good link that will help folks learn more about what should or shouldn't be in dog foods and how yours may stack up.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

I, personally, don't think that you have to feed the highest rated but I would be concerned with the lower rated ones.

Best - Lynne
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
If you change "Tabby's" cat food, Tabby will get very mad and vomit all over you.

However, if one has the urge to change a cat or dog's food, do it in moderation and mix the new with the old and ween off of the old. Otherwise you could have some serious mess on your hands.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
That's what you get for leaving you stash lying around, MSgt.
cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
After cat droppings have been in the litter box for a while they become the canine version of Almond Roca!
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #11
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
I'll never eat Almond Roca again!!
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote