Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
North Carolina Ferry System

We're staying at Camp Hatteras on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. If you're ever near this coast you have to come to the 'Banx'. It's a spectacular and wild place.

The outer banks is accessible from the north end by two different bridges and from the south by ferries that run to the mainland in a variety of different routes. We came from the north and intend to leave by ferry (two ferries actually). We'll take one ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke Island and another from Ocracoke to Cedar Island.

Has anyone every taken these ferries with their fiver? I'm a bit concerned about the ramp angles, don't want to crush my bed rails in a dip getting on the boat. Is there anything I should know before doing this?

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Suggest, call the ferry company, the ferry out of Fort Morgan (Alabama) will take a 5er too, but they want you there during high tide, makes the angles smaller.

You are in my childhood summer stomping grounds, I was just writing a blog about my memories of Nags Head in the summer and the carousel.

It is a fabulous area, enjoy.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Called the Ferry company and they say it's not a problem. Problem with this is you don't know who is saying this. Have they ever towed a fiver? Have they ever gone over a serious railroad 'bump'? Do they have experience loading fiver's on their ferry?

Or are you just getting here say from a clerk?

I'd like to hear from a MOCer.

It's fabulous country out here and we've lucked out on the weather. 70s during the day. 60s overnight. Lots and lots of wind and a mostly empty campground.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
We have used the cedar Island and the free ferry to cape hatteras a couple of times but it has been awhile. I have seen 5ers and MHs plus tractor and trailers along with cars and pickups on every trip. I even made one trip on a motorcycle a super nice place to see. you will have no trouble. JMHO.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
They load everything all the time. you shouldn't have a problem. You will need to make reservations for the Cedar Island Ferry. Just call them and tell them when you want to go and they will hold a spot for you.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Got my reservations! I'll let you all know how we make out on this adventure. The toll is about equal to the amount of diesel I would need to burn if I drove out of here. I'm looking forward to piling up miles on my rig where the wheels don't turn
Old 10-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
We made the trip today. Awesome!

Departed Camp Hatteras about 7:15 and drove onto the free Hateras to Ocracoke ferry at about 8:30 with no problems. They loaders know exactly how to guide you on without snagging a corner. This trip is quite short, about 25 minutes.

Then a little scoot south on Ocracoke and we drove onto a much larger Ocracoke to Cedar Island ferry for a 10:00 AM departure. Again no problems. They had my wheels about 1" from the curbings with no scrapes at all. This one is a little scary as they ask you to pull in your mirrors so you have to just put your faith in the loader. You can't see a thing

We pulled into the Cabin Creek Campground outside of Jacksonville, NC about 3:00 PM after a very restful adventure. The campground is good for an overnight, not flashy or anything but perfect for our needs. We're just overnighting and plan to hit James Island in Charleston tomorrow after another short ride.

I took pics which I will post a link to later today.

update:

Forgot to mention that the roads are great all the way. North Carolina hasn't invented pot holes yet. Some legs are a little narrow but nothing worse than going through the dirt roads known as the interstates. I've gained a lot of confidence going from Goshen to Jacksonville almost entirely on state highways and it will take a lot of persuasion to get me back on I-XX anytime soon.

Here are the pictures from the trip.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Great news, Paul!!! Glad you and Betty continue to enjoy your adventure. Check Lynn's Bolg site for SC ideas. We were ther in the spring?!! Best wishes.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Paul,
I didn't see the rod rack with rods. Whats up with that?
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Glad your trip went smoothly. You passed right by our house as you headed down Hwy 17 South in New Bern. Stop in Wilmington and see the Battleship North Carolina on your way down. It's well worth it.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Rod racks are an illusion. Camera angle is picking up rods from truck in front of me. They guy had one of those big racks off a hitch. I'm thinking Dave should get one of things for carrying his flamingos and wind whirly gig things. Who knows, in a tail wind you might even save a few gallons of diesel.

Jim:

We took 12 to 70 to 24 to 17, slipping beneath New Bern. I was afraid of the water cannon.