Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Bed Protectors

I have been reading about Blue Ox bed protectors and I have a Reese 16k hitch # 30047. Is it a good idea or do I need one for this hitch?
I was told by my dealer that the non china model has an auto locking system ? I would appreciate any advise you might have. Thanks Steve

sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I purchased one as a $250 insurance policy to save $3000 to $5000 damage if there was an oops (my fault) or a mechanical failure.
With that statement a friend has one but also a short bed truck and still damaged his tailgate just not the rest of the truck bed or underside of the trailer when his bed saver caught the pin.
I say it is a needed insurance policy.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Blabber Mouth! It did save me from smashing the bed rails AND the underside of the rig. It was just that I was in the middle of a 45 degree turn when it dropped out of the hitch (my fault for not locking it). Being at 45 degrees the pinbox was about 2 inches longer than the distance from bed saver to the tailgate. I have a small bow to the tailgate (outward) and lost a bit of bed liner of the tailgate. So it ain't "purty" anymore, it still works and I still have pretty bed rails and rig... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
SFish - if at all possible I recommend the bedsaver. I dropped two different rigs on my truck in 12-13 years. The 2nd time I was going to get a new hitch & bedsaver, but dropped the rig before actually spending the money. Repairs to the truck were in the $5,000 range each time. All it took, both times, was to get out of my routine by some minor distraction, and bam! the deed was done. My good traveling buddy did the same thing - twice also. Needless to say, we now both have a new hitch & bedsaver. You may never need it, and I may never do the dumb again, but it is there just in case. Good insurance. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sfish

I have been reading about Blue Ox bed protectors and I have a Reese 16k hitch # 30047. Is it a good idea or do I need one for this hitch?
I was told by my dealer that the non china model has an auto locking system ? I would appreciate any advise you might have. Thanks Steve
Come on down to Omaha next week for our Central Plains Rally--Blue Ox will be there to install bedsavers if you want--at least you can see what they are all about--it is still not too late for you to come, We will find room at the campground. I think it is Thursday the Blue ox people are here. YES, it is a VERY good idea to have one, ask how I know.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
A very cheap insurance policy to prevent thousands in damage.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had one in my previous SB Chevy and never needed it, thankfully. My present hitch, a TrailerSaver, will not accept one and I dropped the trailer at Goshen last year, tailgate replaced. I would recommend one if you have a hitch that they make one for. As stated earlier, cheap insurance!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sfish

I order one from yesterday from AdventureRV.NET, was $204 with shipping. Looks easy to install, and as everyone said cheep insurance. I know it is just a matter of time before I screw up.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I may be wrong, but I think Blue Ox will now make them for the Trailsaver--I can't remember who but I think they went to the factory and they now have a pattern for the trailsaver hitch. I know they made one special for Jim Boylon as he has a different hitch--maybe someone will be alone to confirm this
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #10
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

I order one from yesterday from AdventureRV.NET, was $204 with shipping. Looks easy to install, and as everyone said cheep insurance. I know it is just a matter of time before I screw up.

I ordered one just this morning from Adventurerv.net for my Curt 20k! I too know it's just a matter of time before something doesn't go right....the Curt has a pretty good locking system but as you say it's cheep insurance.

coyoterick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
I went years without a bed saver and, after seeing the problems fellow MOCers sometimes had, purchased one just before our last journey to the SW. Soon after arriving in TX, I did something I "never" do and dropped the rig into the bed saver. No damage to anything! While in Texas, we traded trucks and got a new Curt slider hitch and Blue Ox did not make one for our size Curt. They had us come in to their factory campground and, while there, designed and built one for our hitch. We would never tow without one any more. We also really appreciate the customer service we received from Blue Ox. - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
It is cheap insurance. I got out of my routine on one outing and guess what? Right into the bed saver the rig went. I will never be without one.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Can someone tell us about the Pin Lock system? What advantages or disadvantages between the Blue Ox bed saver and the PIN Lock? Being new at the RVing world, need all the help I can get.....Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I just received my Blue Ox Bedsaver. I've read through all instructions and at the end it states to Torque all bolt to specs. Small problem,they don't provide any torque specs.
Those of you that have installed this bedsaver,how many pounds did you torque down to?
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #15
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

I just received my Blue Ox Bedsaver. I've read through all instructions and at the end it states to Torque all bolt to specs. Small problem,they don't provide any torque specs.
Those of you that have installed this bedsaver,how many pounds did you torque down to?
Jack
Jack,

I put mine on last night, Bedsaver documentations said to torque them 65 Ft/lbs. The Reese manual says to torque them 75 Ft/lbs, so I split it and torqued them 70 Ft/lbs. My bolts and nuts were 3/4" socket, so if you have same size that should be about right.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #16
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 7.3Ford

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Jack
Jack,

I put mine on last night, Bedsaver documentations said to torque them 65 Ft/lbs. The Reese manual says to torque them 75 Ft/lbs, so I split it and torqued them 70 Ft/lbs. My bolts and nuts were 3/4" socket, so if you have same size that should be about right.

Thanks John! I thought it was strange they didn't include the torque specs.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote