Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
McClains Bogus Wiring Job!

When we picked up our unit last summer McClains had to put a new reciever connection for the wiring harness on our truck. No big deal, any moron can do this...or so I thought. They changed the wiring on my trailer because they could not get the lights to work. I figured a mouse had chewed the wiring but who knows what really happened. Now I go to hook onto my horse trailer only to find out when I plug in the light cord the brakes lock up an it won't budge. ARGH! They charged me $1000.00 the day I picked up my unit for the hitch and wiring. I have spent more than this trying to correct their mistake. How many more things am I going to have to fix/pay to be fixed which they messed up on this unit and my truck!
Just needed to vent.

McClains RV in OKC F-

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Okie I also hate wiring problems. I wish you the best with this problem.

I made a deal with my sister a couple of years ago. She boards our daughters horse. Takes it to the shows. We'll put our RV in whereever she wants it and we'll both be comfortable. Horses in a 4 horse slant people in the RV. If we acquire to many people (more than 8) the the younger crowd sleeps in the horse trailer.
This has worked fine so far. She has Lupus and needs the "air" and room to lay down from time to time. We love having the genset as some of the horse shows and parks are primitve camping.

Again I feel your pain as the wiring problems drive me nuts.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sorry that happened, they should have had a checker that most good trailer and hitch places have, it plugs in and verify's that everything is good to go, lights come on with the test box; lights showing all is good.
Good luck on this.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Thanks Guys. I have had a couple of days to cool off now after discovering the problem. I am just going to wait until our trip to the lake easter weekend to mess with any wires. It is time to take the unit and my truck to the dealer who handles only Montana's and let them see what was messed up by the first company. I am looking for an old f-250 diesel which I can use just for pulling the monty so hopefully this problem will be solved soon. It is just irritating because I only use the horse trailer during breeding season and 3 horse shows per year. Everything was wired perfectly on the trailer and pickup before but after the other guys made their adjustments it is all messed up. At least I found out before the paint show in Fort Worth in a couple weeks so I can get "plan b" in place. I am sure it will only take a doy or so for them to fix the problems but want to be sure it is done right. I am grateful I also found out before taking off on a trip with the plug connected and the breaks locking up on the interstate. It is hard to stop a trailer with 4 horses and tack loaded goign 65 miles an hour.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Okie, now I know why my sister always lets me lead.
Good luck at the shows. Would love to come down and see those shows just don't have the time now.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I think your horse trailer has something called "Oklahoma wiring" (seems logical since that's where you are!!) whereby the center terminal is used as a ground. I think it's a simple fix of moving a wire. I had my truck and van wired up to match the 7-pin TT. When I bought a John Deere tractor and some implements as a "package deal" it included a pretty JD green trailer to match. The trailer had a 5-pin connector, so I bought an adapter (5-pin to 7-pin). I had the same problem - hook it up to my TV and the brakes lock up. Lonnie suggested what to do - I opened the adapter and swapped the only two wires that weren't soldered. It eliminated the lock-up but I would swear the brakes are working either.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote