Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Yellowstone mechanic

Today my wife and I were starting our day trip on the lower circle of Yellowstone National Park. I noticed the battery light on about 35 miles into the park, and knew I was in trouble. Hurried back into West Yellowstone and found the Napa auto parts store and bought the alternator. This the only auto parts store in town. I paid for it and asked where a mechanic was close by. He directed me to Jakes auto and tire service, 3 blocks away. Mike replaced the alternator in less then half an hour and was on my way. Mike also informed me that the alternator I had on the truck was from Napa. I ran back to Napa and showed the date on the alternator and got my #299 credited back on my card. Mike only charged me $42 for replacement and informing me that it was a Napa product. Two thumbs up for Napa and Jakes auto service. We will do the lower circle tomorrow on our way to Cody.

Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
higgs6867
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13512
We'll be in West Yellowstone at the end of August so I'll file this under, info I hope I never need to use but glad to have it if I do.
Thanks for the information, hope the rest of your trip goes well.
higgs6867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yes, thanks for the useful info. Glad your trip wasn't spoiled and hope that was the only event you'll have to deal with.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Great service!
I hope you see the Cody museum. It's fabulous. It is an absolute must see.
My problem is. These after market car parts are not the same quality as the OEM parts. They put a lifetime warranty on them knowing most people will get rid of the vehicle before the part goes bad. You are probably better off go to the dealer and buy new.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll file it in my travel folder for future use. A personal recommendation carries a lot of weight.
Best of luck on the rest of your trip!!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #6
markmontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #13597
Here's another mechanic reference for the Yellowstone area (Cody). Technical Cowboys. One of our caravan had his 'in tank' fuel pump go out between Red Lodge and Cody. Had to get a tow into Cody. Tow driver recommended Technical Cowboys. Dropped the Surbanban off in their lot. First thing in the AM my brother made contact- and before we could make the 15 minute walk over there- they had it diagnosed and solution options. Finished and buttoned up by 4 PM. Great guys if you have a problem in the Cody area.

Another tidbit- the Wyoming tow trucks will not tow in Montana. We were just north of the border and had to limp across the border. Then the tow fun could begin!
markmontana is offline   Reply With Quote