Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2011, 03:00 AM   #21
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Come on Jim, Texas is still the best there is.

You don't have to go as far South to enjoy Texas, try along the Bay Area Gulf Coast.
Must agree. While there have been lots of fires, our part of the state remains beautiful. Only other place I would consider would be FL, way down the peninsula....but DW just hired a lady from FL, and she doesn't have much good to say about the folks there.
Wow, I am gonna take exception to THAT "lady's" opinion! There are some folks everywhere who are not nice to be around, and we do get our share from all over, but you can't judge the majority on the merits, or lack there of, of the minority! I have lived in Florida for most of my 62 years. My mother's side of the family came here in the early 1800's, so I can tell you I know Florida pretty darn well. It IS way too hot in the summer but winters are great, compared to the rest of the eastern seaboard. We do get some freezes here in central and the northern portions of the state from time to time, not so much in the extreme south. But by and large snow birds have been flocking here for decades for the mild winters. There is a lot to see and do, and a lot of just do nothing available if that's what floats your boat. Come on down and try it yourselves!
Been there many times. We used to vacation in the Navarre or Destin area every summer. Of course that was many years ago. Went back in summer of 2007....seems hard to find a native Floridian there now. Of course, that seems to be happening here too. Would love to spend a winter down that way, but we're stuck here for a few years.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #22
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Dave, we stayed at a RV park somewhere there in town, not too far from Lulu's, we liked it. I have a pal in Pensacola.
I do like the idea of those bike trails! We were there a year after one of the Hurricanes that wiped out stuff. There were piles of trash 20 feet high.
Ozz if you make the trip to GSP and want to get in there, I would advise you to call and make a reservation. It cost $27.00 to make a reservation for any length of time. There # is 800-252-7275. Let me know your decision when you make one. That is if decisions have to be made, which they don't with what we are doing .......lol

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 AM   #23
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltandLynne

Moutard2 -

Wow, I went to their site and this looks lovely. Reading their newsletter was interesting.

I was reading through some of their information and noticed an "Association" complete with mandatory rules and fees, procedure for dealing with violations, assessments, meetings, approval process for how you "decorate" the exterior, etc.. Having never had the chance to "snowbird" (but looking forward to it!), I am wondering if this involvement is standard for all parks.

Lynne
Hi Lynne,

I don't know if the rules & regs stuff is standard for all parks with a HOA but as renters, most of it doesn't apply. The stuff you read only applies to owners of the sites. You pay your monthly rent, act responsibly, have fun and that's the bottom line for you!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #24
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Ozz,
I second the Gulf State Park recommendation. That's my 3-4 day get away since I live 57 miles from the entrance.
Now for SOUTH Florida, I would not visit or stay near Homestead or Miami without overhead gunship support 24/7. Of course I'm spoiled since I have overhead gunship activity 5 nights a week. The tune is 20mm, 40mm and 105mm, sound of freedom. Come on down.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #25
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
OZZ...you might check out this web-site...foyspa.com. This is where we have gone for 6 winters. Great facilitys, it is first come first serve so no one kicks you out of your spot, and the sites are big. Super WM 40 miles south and 55 miles north. If you are into desert rides on quads you can ride from your site, no trailering of rig and from site you will see..REASONABLY PRICED. Prices include all utilities and cable TV. PM me is you have any questions.Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #26
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
We begin our Winter at Quartzsite and then move over to Apache Junction area. During our stay in AJ, we can go 4-wheeling in the desert, attend the Medevil Festival, take in Spring Training (baseball), see how the Indians lived 200 years ago, check out the Tombstone (cowboy movies made) area and then there is Tucson & Aeronautical Museum and the Organ Pipe National Park. Prices are comperable, give or take a few dollars, to the other areas the kind people above have spoken of.

Have fun wherever you go!

ps ... We tend to like to move around and not stay in one place more than a month. You could stay in So CA for a month, move to Yuma,Az (ride the sand dunes) for a month, move to Tucson for a month, Phoenix area (suburbs) ... You get the idea...
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #27
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
This will be our second winter in Sebring Florida, last winter was great its about 90 miles South of Tampa. Short legged pants and Tee's Jan & Feb. Walking distance to the YMCA and miles and miles of bike paths.. We wintered two winters in Gulf Shores, we stayed at Anchors Aweigh in Foley and Island Retreat. However the winters were just to cold for us. We will arrive on 1 Nov. and depart in April 2012.... Happy Trails...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #28
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

This will be our second winter in Sebring Florida, last winter was great its about 90 miles South of Tampa. Short legged pants and Tee's Jan & Feb. Walking distance to the YMCA and miles and miles of bike paths.. We wintered two winters in Gulf Shores, we stayed at Anchors Aweigh in Foley and Island Retreat. However the winters were just to cold for us. We will arrive on 1 Nov. and depart in April 2012.... Happy Trails...
Is there that much difference between the two spots as far as weather? I'm intersted in the cost difference from the two also. This is what one old timer told me last year in Gulf Shores State Park. For every 5 degrees of warmer weather in Fl. you can expect another $100.00 in campground rent per mo. Do you see that as true? Always looking for that perfect place of course.

Dave
Old 09-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #29
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Champ 49 we have the month of February booked at Gulf Shores State Park and looking forward to it. Have stayed at Anchors Away a couple of years ago and like that one as well. Ozz come on down to LA (Lower Alabama).
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 03:11 AM   #30
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wow, great suggestions. We have been to many of these places for a visit.

Tucson... We stayed at Baudry, how about a RV park closer to downtown?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:12 PM   #31
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

Champ 49 we have the month of February booked at Gulf Shores State Park and looking forward to it. Have stayed at Anchors Away a couple of years ago and like that one as well. Ozz come on down to LA (Lower Alabama).
Hey Phil and Gladys

We will be there from Nov. 1 thru April 1, most likely will end up on site 257. Keep in touch, sure we can swap some CG stories and whatever else comes up......lol

Looking forward to it.

Dave
Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #32
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Texas is a burnt slice of toast, we aren't going there, the drug dealers have the southern borders terrorized, where to go...

Where are all of you snowbirds going this winter?
Though we have a Texas mailing address, we spend the coldest part of the winter (Jan-Mar) in Desert Hot Springs, CA. Have been doing it beginning in our second year of full timing, 2001.

Orv

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:26 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No place is perfect. We tried the S.w the first couple of years, Texas & Arizona. The nice thing about having a home on wheels is that you have a choice so we decided to try Florida at the urging of several MOC members. This will be our 4th year in Florida.We are in South Central Florida near Disney world and it is perfect. Normally the temps are @70's day and @50's night, Clear skies and little humidity. You can get a overnight low near freezing but 40 at night is really cold in that part of Florida. Example we used three tanks of Propane last winter in 6 months. Disney provides much entertainment and the opportunity to work as a seasonal if you so choose.

IMO folks looking for a place to winter should sample different parts of the country.If you have tried the S.W now try Florida then other parts.
We do have wheels on these things you know.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:49 AM   #34
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rich, after fighting the humidity all my life as a HVAC serviceman, I vowed to never suffer high humidity if I have a choice. Orlando's 90% in the morning and 50-60% in the afternoon does not work with me.
I think I will stick with the S/W
Here is the Orlando humidity chart, (I know this is history, but it is averaged.)
ORLANDO, FL 42 42 88 57 88 53 89 51 88 47 88 50 90 58 91 59 93 60 92 61 90 57 90 56 89 58 90 56
http://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/historical/avgrh.html
Old 09-15-2011, 05:36 AM   #35
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I'm with you Jim on the humidity, I guess that's why we settled in Casa Grande, AZ. Only humidity we got this summer was when I got under the shower. I have wintered in Fl, So Cal, Texas and AZ, so far it is AZ for me. If rig doesn't sell we will continue to travel during the summer months, mostly in the NORTH!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #36
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Phil, we may drive around 'Big House' when we head that way, check it out...
Old 09-15-2011, 02:03 PM   #37
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have wintered in South Texas, Mission Tx, Casa Grande Az, I also lived in Ft Huachuca. I agree the humidity in Az is very low, The Ft Hucahuca had the best humiity. On 1 Jan 2007 we pulled into Casa Granden and on 2 Jan our water shore line frooze.

We have also wintered in Gulf Shores, Anchors Aweigh, and Island Retreat, and Johnny's RV Park. Anchors Aweigh is a great park, Ann and Rodney are great people. Jan and Feb is just to cold for us.

So the next winter we tried Sebring Florida, and its located South of Tampa 80/90 miles. Last Jan and Feb had shorts and Tee's on don't remember the temps but it was warm and used very little propane. We could pay much more and be closer to the water, but the temps were always 5+ degrees colder on the East coast or the West coast directly accross from us. We did try the Keys one winter but the cost was out of our Budget and actually didn't like the Keys.

We are in a very old RV park in Sebring, but the location fits our wants perfect. South Texas (RGV) was great and weather was great, but it was 1,500 miles one way and Casa Grande was 1,775 miles we are about 875 from Sebring. And I agree just to much drug problems just accross the Mexican borded...

I for sure want be near Phoenix Az in the Summer, haven't spent any time in Casa Grande in the summber. Ft Huachuca/Sierra Vista is great in the summer months.

We will continue to go to Colorado area in the Summer months. We have our site in Buena Vist reserved for June thru Sept 2012. Will be in Florida 1 Nov until April 2012... Good luck on your choice. Happy Trails...

P.S Delaine says we may leave the middle of Oct for Florida, I just drive the Truck...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #38
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Come on down south, Ozz, you need to fill in all the blanks on your states visited map and the Outer Banks or Myrtle Beach or both would be beautiful additions to your travels. We get a lot of Snowbirds in the winter. The James Island County Park in Charleston is also a great place and offer guest host positions. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #39
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
Port Aransas Texas is still a great place. We will be there as usual from 1/27/12 to 4/1/12.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:31 AM   #40
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hey Jim,
Does price matter?

Check out Green Caye in Dickinson, TX.

35 miles from all the attractions in/around Houston.(museums, galleries, Zoo(check on relatives))
20-25 miles from Galveston (Nice Tourist attraction)

There are many other RV parks in the area also, but Green Caye is nice.

Easy day trips down the Blue Water Highway to Freeport, TX.
Easy day trips on Ferry to Bolivar Peninsular.

Real easy 8 mile day trip to Wayne and Earlene's house if we are home.

And it would be so nice to have you close to see your MODS. (hee hee!)

Check out the price at Green Caye - 50 amp, $380 a month. Some friends stayed there and paid $370. They must have asked for a discount, or maybe there is a discount in place for some of the clubs.

Oh! And there are zillions of restaurants all around this area. The finest Mexican food in the area is here in Texas City as far as I'm concerned, along with the finest BBQ. (That should get your interest.)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote