Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bar Harbor, Maine

Arrived at Timberland Acres Campground on Wednesday, site 210. Did Acadia park tour today (Beautiful coast line), and had a Lobsta roll at Rupununis on Main St. Yesterday I had my first WHOLE lobster at Jaspers in Ellsworth, just a little north of Bar Harbor. Planning on taking the CAT Ferry to Nova Scotia for a couple days while here. Have a few other things planned during our two week stay. Anyone have any other suggestions?? FIRE AWAY!!!!!!

Thanks

Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
bjj5633
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9546
Did you ever get to the green monster?
bjj5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:43 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
bjj5633, NO I did not!! Will have to wait until next time.... A little disappointed about that also. Seems we took to vegging out instead. ARGH!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 04:55 AM   #4
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Did you get to the top of Cadillac Mountain? We watched the sunset the first night there and then, a few days later, got up around 4 am to see the sunrise. What a treat!!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
You are in one of our favorite locations now. We loved the park shore line, kayaking on Eagle Lake, biking on the carriage trails, and hiking some of the park trails (Bubble Rock is fairly easy). We hope you have a great time.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
John, We took the Oli Trolley tour of the park and did get to the top of Cadillac Mountain. To see it at sundown and sunup must be great.

Pete, Thanks for your sentiment. I must have missed your call while in Boston area, You sure live in a great area!!!!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
A picnic on the rocks off the Loop Road just beyond Thunder Hole is really an enjoyable way to spend a few hours. Take chairs with you and reading material if you want.

We were just there last weekend.

Drew

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Phil, we spent a month in Ellsworth 2007. Every Friday night in Ellsworth, along the waterfront, they have a free concert. Each week is a different group. We found them very enjoyable. It may be too late in the year, though.

Also, it's not all that far to Campobello Island where you can tour FDR's place and also the lighthouse. To get to the lighthouse you have only a two-hour window at low-tide so check with the visitors center.

In Bangor, you can drive up pretty close to Stephen King's home. There are several other places to see but I can't remember them all. They're in the 2007 postcards on our website (link below).

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Take a cruise to Islesford from South Harbor. The one we took had an interpretive ranger aboard. Even though it was foggy, it was beautiful.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:29 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
So far we did the Acadia Park Tour and have had several lobster meals. Went to a Modet T show yesterday, only about 12-15 cars but interesting. Doing the Windjammer Sail boat (151ft 4 mast sail boat), cruise this afternoon. Get to take the dog with us also. It's always a treat when we can take her with us.

Steve, we got pics of the King house and the giant statue of Paul Bunyan already. Have several other things planned with my sister throughout the week.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions......

Phil

Drew, Thunder hole was neat, although it wasn't saying much the day we were there (low tide)....Will try and get back when we go for Tea and Popovers at Jordan Pond House.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:58 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
You are about 145 miles North of Freeport, Maine. There is a CG there called Freeport/Durham Campground, and it is about 6 miles or so from Freeport.

You can then spend a day in Freeport, and the LL Bean Store.

There is a hotel a few block from LL Bean, on the opposite side of the street, that has a noon buffet of some gourmet cooking and it was very good. Just sample a little of everything and stay away from the great deserts. Ask any of the LL Bean clerks for directions.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:08 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks for the suggestion Wayne, but not really into LL Bean. Did not have good experiences with them while in Alaska, preferred Cabelas instead. Hope your surgery goes well......

Phil
Old 09-19-2009, 05:14 AM   #13
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Phil, Great time to be in that part of the country, I lived in Brunswick for a few years. We had a place on Durham rd between Brunswick and Freeport. The area has a lot of connection with Stephen King. Our friends lived across from White's Beach on Durham Rd. Kind of miss the area at times. Yes Freeport is good for LL Beans but last time I was there, 1988, the town had turned into one giant outlet mall. I remember when all it had was LL Bean and a Western Auto across the street. Enjoy the cool weather and great country side views. Have safe travels and wonderful adventures.

Jim R.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jim, We did get a picture of Stephen King's house in Bangor. Cathy is a big fan of his and has all his books in hardback in storage in Phoenix. We are here as "Leaf Peepers", as they call us. Will leave here this Tuesday and spend the next week in New Hampshire, then off to Niagara Falls. Hope to see you again on the road somewhere. STAY SAFE!!!!!!!

Phil
Old 09-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #15
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Phil, Have a safe trip. As for Stephen King connections, as I mentioned my friends lived across the road from White's Beach. White's Beach was used in a King short story. The book the Stand is centered around Brunswick and Topsham were I lived, in fact at the beginning of the book he talks about a house and kids skating on a pond. The house on the top of the hill on Durham road is were I lived and the pond was just down the hill, my boys played with the children that lived there.

We hope to head back up that way soon but this retired life really keeps one busy.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:17 AM   #16
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
Phil,

We will take your place there. We are currently in Burlington, VT on an Adventure Caravan trip that ends tonight with a dinner cruise on Lake Champlain. Tomorrow we head toward Maine for a week before rejoining the caravan in New Hampshire on the 28th. Currently using the truck camper.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:24 AM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ron, You should enjoy your visit here as I have. Bar Harbor is a neat little place. Lots to see and do. Have a great time!!

Jim, that IS very interesting. We didn't get there though, maybe next time.....
Old 11-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
ajewellco

M.O.C. #7324
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Arrived at Timberland Acres Campground on Wednesday, site 210. Did Acadia park tour today (Beautiful coast line), and had a Lobsta roll at Rupununis on Main St. Yesterday I had my first WHOLE lobster at Jaspers in Ellsworth, just a little north of Bar Harbor. Planning on taking the CAT Ferry to Nova Scotia for a couple days while here. Have a few other things planned during our two week stay. Anyone have any other suggestions?? FIRE AWAY!!!!!!

Thanks

Phil
ajewellco is offline   Reply With Quote