Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2007, 02:52 AM   #21
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
If we are hooked up to Monty we use it. It changes the shift points and makes better use of the engines power.

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:01 AM   #22
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I think some of this is determined by road types. Todays interstate highway in general are flat and smooth, but if on two line roads with curves and more hill we have a different road type. On interstate with my trailer and not being in a rush, no T/H. But with two line roads hills added traffic 100% of the time in T/H.SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #23
Rockerdude
Established Member

M.O.C. #6837
From my experience, I have finally gone with leaving it in TOW for 2 reasons. One, you get pretty much the same mileage either way. And Two, When you are driving for miles and miles on a flat terrain, you tend to forget that you do have it in Overdrive and then when you hit that hill, the tranny downshifts into third. Then there you go, exactly what you didn't want it to do and that's shifting while in Overdrive.

So just leave it in TOW and don't worry about it. That's my opinion anyway....
Rockerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #24
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I really don't know why people don't use it. That's why it's there, and towing is what it is designed to do and what it does best. Contrary to popular belief (in GM) it does not affect overdrive...I pull in 6th gear...cause that's where the Allison puts itself. I turn on the T/H and turn on the cruise...then my job is to keep the entire package in the middle of the road.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:57 PM   #25
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I always use mine when towing.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #26
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Well I have tried it both ways. In Aug of 05 we towed the 335RLBS weight about 10500+ over 3950 miles in 17 days. Originally we left home in Tow Haul and it stayed there for about 1000 miles. Then we started hitting allot of small hills and it would hunt for the gear it wanted. I then tried it with O/D locked out but not much of a difference. I then tried it for a good range in Tow Haul when accelerating and once up to speed on this trip I kept it at about 57 almost the whole trip but discovered something towards the end I will mention in a minute. When I was up to speed I took it out of Tow Haul and left it in O/d and for the most part it worked better. When I got into real grades then I went back into T?H mode. What I eventually discovered is there is a range where it will avoid the hunting. For me it is about 59-61 mph in T/H mode when in moderate rolling grades. Running the few mph slower let it slow down from the grade before the engine was ready to shift and then it would shift down then decide it didn't need it when it got back up to 57 or so and then it did it all over again. I now run as mentioned above on level terrain but when I get to the hills I definately go T/H mode. Anyone else experience this. Also remember the tranny learns as it works so when in the hills I see it learn and anticipate. Too long many miles on the level it relearns that so I think it also must be taken into consideration the terrain and distance and type of terrain you've been on before the grades.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:00 PM   #27
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RMccord

Well I have tried it both ways. In Aug of 05 we towed the 335RLBS weight about 10500+ over 3950 miles in 17 days. Originally we left home in Tow Haul and it stayed there for about 1000 miles. Then we started hitting allot of small hills and it would hunt for the gear it wanted. I then tried it with O/D locked out but not much of a difference. I then tried it for a good range in Tow Haul when accelerating and once up to speed on this trip I kept it at about 57 almost the whole trip but discovered something towards the end I will mention in a minute. When I was up to speed I took it out of Tow Haul and left it in O/d and for the most part it worked better. When I got into real grades then I went back into T?H mode. What I eventually discovered is there is a range where it will avoid the hunting. For me it is about 59-61 mph in T/H mode when in moderate rolling grades. Running the few mph slower let it slow down from the grade before the engine was ready to shift and then it would shift down then decide it didn't need it when it got back up to 57 or so and then it did it all over again. I now run as mentioned above on level terrain but when I get to the hills I definately go T/H mode. Anyone else experience this. Also remember the tranny learns as it works so when in the hills I see it learn and anticipate. Too long many miles on the level it relearns that so I think it also must be taken into consideration the terrain and distance and type of terrain you've been on before the grades.
Sounds like your Allison has a mind of its own.

The only thing differently I do in the hills is turn the cruise off.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:00 PM   #28
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Trannys learn? Odd piece of firmware in those Allisons. Not sure, but I think that learning is not an option on my 2006 Duramax.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #29
fc5v
Established Member

M.O.C. #3774
Always use tow/haul when hooked up and towing. I love the grade braking feature.
Also when going up and down the big "HILLS" around Az.& Ca. I use the overdrive lockout. It helps keep the tranny temp down.
fc5v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #30
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I agree with Cat320 -- T/H is there for areason. I use it. And yes, it does learn, that is it adapts to your driving style. This phenomnon is very noticeable when you add a programmer like the Hypertech. After installation it takes about 50 miles for the truck to get used to the different shifting pattern and everything to smooth out.

Also, contrary to what you might think, this kind of adaptive programming is pretty easy especially in a relatively constrained problem like a transmission. As engineers, we spent a lot of years trying to worry this into a larger problem than it is. Once the problem was defined and understood (GMR circa 1990's) the programming has become more and more streamlined.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:29 AM   #31
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Well, my engineering discipline is electronic and not mechanical so I'll not question your impression about the Allison transmission but according to their technical specifications the Allison uses a technique called the adaptive shift process which adapts according to load, temperature and driving conditions, not through learning a driver's acceleration habits.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:54 AM   #32
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I actually had a Mitsubishi Diamante that would change shift patterns based on immediate history of acceleration. Problem was it reacted too slow going from bumper to bumper traffic to a highway on ramp. It was a bad student as the transmission was replaced twice before warranty was up.

As far as my Torqueshift - it's like a private in the army. Does exactly what it's told and responds by procedure regardless of the environment.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:23 AM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I nearly always tow with tow/haul and get no hunting between gears. The TorqShift is outstanding and seems to be a very smart transmission. It takes about 50 miles to learn that I am going to continue towing and then adjusts the shift patterns to match my driving habits.

It cannot, however, read my mind. The one thing I don't like is when running at 57 mph it will hold that gear and not shift until we start downhill or speed up a mph or two. At those times I'll take it out of tow/haul, it will upshift, then I'll put it back in tow/haul. Shifts are uncannily smooth and precise. Temperatures run pretty low. My aftermarket gauge sender is a few inches from the transmission in the line going to the cooler, so it's getting the reading at its hottest. This transmission has been in Ford Super Duty trucks with the V10 and diesel since the 2003 model. So far I'm not hearing of problems. It appears to be a good one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #34
Montana_1953
Established Member

M.O.C. #1953
Use tow haul mode always when pulling my camping trailer
only time I leave it off is for small trailers
Montana_1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #35
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Adaptive strategy has been in use for some time, Fords been using it since the EEC3 systems of the mid 80's. Have you ever felt like your truck performed better empty after a long haul with your trailer, and just brushed it off thinking its all in your head since youve been hauling a load? It really was running better, its optimized for hard work.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #36
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Definitely the T/H mode for me. That is, except when I stop and forget to put in back in T/H. Of course, it doesn't take long to realize something is different about the shift pattern.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:23 AM   #37
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I have been switching in and out of T/H. While on the flat in the desert (home) I get up to speed I take it out of T/H. I only do this because when I put it into T/H the engine jumps about 800 RPM.
is this normal? I figured that 800 more RPM, same speed, I must be using more fuel.
Thanks for any input.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 PM   #38
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Dick
In tow/haul your Dodge truck locks out the overdrive thus the increase in rpm. in 2004.5 and new tow/haul modifies the shift points and TC lock up points(thru 2005) IN 2006 they added the option to lock out od too.

Mike
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:59 PM   #39
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
When I'm towing it's in the tow/haul mode all the time.......Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:58 AM   #40
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
The Ford Torqueshift is a great transmission and I have even read it was designed by Allison, not sure about that. The Tow Haul mode gives you better braking and keeps the engine happy with no extra fuel use when you are towing.
The only problem with this Transmission I have heard about was an inferior snap ring holding on the reverse gear. This showed up with the snow plow operators and Ford recalled every truck with a Snow plow option. When you consider how many reverse/forward cycles that someone plowing small parking lots would do in just one hour, it is quite a work out for the trans & linkage and really more than an auto trans should have to endure.
This snap ring was upgraded in early 05 and it bothers me that my truck was made with the inferior one but hopefully it will never be a problem for me.
One thing about pickups, they are used in Industry and driven and abused by people that don't own them. We, as recreational users, have benefited by this brutal testing ground and I have no respect for anyone that abuses a company vehicle for the "fun" of it, but I have witnessed this sad reflection of human behaviour many, many times in my 40 year career.
I will state IMO, Fords stand up extremely well, and I drive all three brands at the various sites I have worked on.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote