Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Just fried our 1/2 time...

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but just had to share.

Cheryl used the 1/2 time oven a few days ago for the first time. There is a metal tray that is supposed to be used if you are going to cook in the 1/2 time mode. She baked a Pyrex bowl of scalped potatoes (out of the box). She used the metal plate and it worked fine.

Tonight she repeated this procedure, but neglected to put the metal tray in. She set the bowl right on the glass. Only a 3" round bottom on this bowl. She set it for 12 minutes.

At 6 minutes, we came in from outside and it smelled like plastic burning. There was a slight smokey haze in the air. Everything looked normal in the oven. Then Cheryl noticed that the plastic grill above the oven was warping. We immediately shut it down. It was extremely hot. The coil in the back left side would not go off for 2-3 minutes. The clock display went off, then all lights went off.

The manual says don't use the 1/2 time mode without the metal tray - they do not have any explanation of WHY, and they have no cautions - as in all other manuals - warning of any possible damage/fire/injury. They just say, use it...

I can't believe that this would have caused such a severe meltdown, and such massive electrical damage. As I said, all the other mauals, had big, boxed in warnings and possible dire consequences if proper procedures are not followed. Any reference to a dangerous situation resulting from not using the metal tray is totally absent.

This leads me to believe that it is possible that the cooling fan failed, leading to this extreme overheating that melted the grill and fried the wiring.

I have checked all other appliances and breakers, and there doesn't seem to be any residual damage, or blown breakers. Just the 1/2 time oven melting/frying the electronics.

This appliance is serviceable only by a technician. I can't get into the back end as they have two screw heads (one on each side of the back panel) out of the 8 screws, that have that special head that only techinicians have that "special" driver for... I know... I tried.

I pulled the unit out. The outlet plug (it is that funny 3 pronged plug, with the 2 blades at 90 degree angles to each other) wasn't hot or damaged as far as I could tell. I'm sure most of the damage was near that element that would not turn off for several minutes when we shut down the oven. It also warped and discolored the steel grate between the element and the interior of the oven.

I am contacting Bill Tea (my dealer) tomorrow for suggestions. My main concern, obviously, is a possible voided warranty. That's why I want Bill to handle this. He has been very helpful in the past in getting things done.

I can't believe that a glass bowl w/o the cooking plate could have led to such a massive overheating situation. If this was the case, they surely would have put huge, noticeable warnings about this in the manual. They did not.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab, LB, SLE (w/ full power/elect options)
Reese 16K Hitch, Draw Tite Brake Controller (Activator II)
Full undercoating, Rhino Spray-In Liner
2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
2nd A/C, Fireplace, Dual Pane Windows, Central Vac
WE'RE HOME!

Don't EVER give up on your Dream.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hi Dave - So sorry that you didn't get supper....and the damage to the oven. Your right normally most of the manuels have some pretty LARGE warning sign's, like you said BOXED so a person really has to read it. I am glad you posted this problem, it will eliminate several of us from frying our. I am happy that there was no FIRE in your new unit. I hope the dealer can work with you on getting the oven taken care of.
Safe Travels young man John H

2005 Dodge 3500 4x2 Dually Cummins Diesel, Line X /2005 Montana/""MOC TRAVEL ASSISTANCE VOLUNTEER"" ""TOPEKA, KANSAS AREA"" 3650RK
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I still figured a way to get supper, John.

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-03-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Uh-oh...I better take note of this one

327RKS
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291
Wow Dave they should give you a medal for saving your new Montana from being completely engulfed in flames! I have seen trailers burn to the ground with an electrical short, there completely on fire in no time. If I was the manufacture of that ½ time I would have to do a complete inspection on the oven and thank you for saving me from a large law suit. I’m glad everyone is OK and hope that is the only bug you find.
Rich and Marita
sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Okay Dave fess up. You were trying one of your science experiments, weren't you. The reason I know is I just printed that whole thread on the door of the microwave convection oven where you were talking about how fun it was to experiment with microwaves. LOL ve good from now on. Seriously, I hope you get it fixed. If you don't, and you replace it with another unit, let us know. We are about ready to replace ours and I have a lot of work to do when we get home, (selling 2 houses) and don't have time to research.
Happy trails.........................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sorry for your loss. It is always interesting to try to interpret critical appliance information in Chinese. We still can't figure how to use the convection oven with Chinese instructions.

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 01:45 AM   #8
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Don't tell them you did not use the metal tray and you should be fine. I think they way the metal tray works is as a reflector of the heat to make the heat uniform around in the oven, not just on bottom or hot.

Broome101
2005 F350 PSD,SRW,CC,LB, King Ranch, 4x4
2005 3685FL
http://www.picturetrail.com/broome101
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:01 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..Call the oven folks and tell them what happened.They seem to be ok to work with. A replacement will have to come from them anyhow.I would like to interrogate them about the use of the metal tray..If it is that critical there should be more warnings. Actually, if it were me, I (1.) would be highly annoyed and on the phone with Appollo and (2) would be trashing that oven and going to Wally Mart to purchase a good one.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think that there was a problem with the thermostat, and the high limit thermostat. The temp's obviously exceeded the operating conditions in any mode. The fact that the L.R. element wouldn't shut down for 2-3 minutes is suspect as well. They would not design an oven that would let the temperatures get high enough to melt plastic in it and burn wiring.
Metal plate, or no metal plate, it shouldn't have done that.
I think you are good for the Warranty. JMHO.
Good luck.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:27 AM   #11
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Dave, considering this is a brand new rig I think you will be just fine. They know they should put all hazards in LARGE PRINT AND BOXED!

Paul & Kathi Landau
Lola, Beulah & Hamel (BLk/Tan Coonhounds)
Max (Doxie) all rescues
Kalispell Montana

02' Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Dually Longbed,
Banks Exhaust Sys.,
5"exhaust, Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese 22K Hitch, Magellan Roadmate 700 GPS.

05' 3400RL

Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:07 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree with all of you guys and gals. I believe something failed somewhere. Ozz follows my line of thinking here. All other appliance and mechanical manuals go out of the way to over stress the cautions and warnings. This was not the case with the Apollo manual. They did use cap lettering in the instructions - which I interpret to mean that this is necessary for "best results and to avoid uncooked or overcooked food", NOT "or else your $50K rig will go up in flames". No boxed warnings/cautions that would have warned of what happened to our oven. The surrounding wood and appliances got very hot, but no damage. Just glad we didn't stay outside any longer. The smoke and burnt plastic/wiring smell were evacuated.

I have called my dealer today and he said he would be able to handle this, and get us a new unit on warranty. We have a great dealer.

Sue, didn't even get a chance to design an experiment yet. Good thing...

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-04-2006, 06:26 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Also, just for reference, this is a "February 2006" build date. I know you have one of these, too, Rich.

Just hard to believe that a glass bowl, with a 2" base, on the revolving glass, only half full of scalped potatoes, could have cause such a catastropic failure of this appliance (after only 6 min of cook time) just because it couldn't circulate air under that 2" base.

Seems to me that the same failure would have happened with this particular unit if you would have simply turned it on w/o the food and tray. If one did this, they should surely not expect any such disasterous results, I would think...

Dave and Cheryl Sprik
Bellaire, MI

2007 3400RL
Venetian Gold Interior
WE'RE HOME!

Old 08-04-2006, 06:36 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The operation of the 1/2 time oven is a complete mystery to me. However Helen has given me explicit instructions and made me repeat them back on when and when not to use the metal tray..I would relate them now,,,but I forgot..

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:30 AM   #15
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Dave i believe you had a malfuction with oven. I have used ours w/o tray a cooked pork chops and potatoes in a magnalite skillet sitting right on the glass turn table no tray for up to an hour. Have had no problems.

Darrell&Pam
06 3670
99 F250 P.S. C.C.
Banks Stinger Plus
Husky 16k glider
Trans command
Super Springs
Huntly-Yorkie

Zachary,La.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #16
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We just picked up our 3400 this AM, and the DW has been plowing through the 50 lbs of manuals, paperwork, directions, etc. She says on page 2 of the laminated instructions it states that the metal tray must be used all the time except when in the microwave mode. As noted above, you'd think they'd high light it or at least put it in big bold print.

Call the dealer and plead ignorance..."Don't know what happened, the damn thing burned up."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:36 PM   #17
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Dave,

Well I am in the same boat that you are in. I tried cooking potatoes in all of the three modes that were on the stupid oven. I am not sure if the taters were to big or if our oven was at fault but ours failed as well. The plastic gasket in the door broke and ours will no longer microwave. I posted about our failure and had someone tell me to use the search engine. I used it and didn't have any luck with someone talking about their problems with the oven. Our dealer ordered one for us and it should be installed next week.

I would love for anyone that uses this lovely appliance to tell us the tricks of using it.

I used the tray when I was cooking, but I think the oven just got to hot It took over two hours to cook the potatoes, we had them as hash browns the next morning.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:35 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Colleen, a new topic with title something like "how do you use the 1/2 time oven?" might draw more attention to your question. Just a suggestion.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #19
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dave, Sorry to hear about your loss of the microwave oven. I have the 2006 model also, and you are right, the two screws that you are talking about are put there for security, or so the dealer told me. After a repair on the switch that fell off after the second time to use it, I just had the dealer leave those two screws off, good thing, 'cause about 5 pushes later, it came off again. I was able to fix it, but had to take the whole cover off again. I posted earlier about the fix to this problem. If anyone needs help with the switch, I know how to fix it.

The way I understand the manual is that if you just push the time buttons, that is the microwave function and there is no need for the metal tray, but if you are using the half-time oven, then the metal tray is mandatory. My question would be if it is possible to use a different type of metal pan while using the half time oven? I haven't used the half-time function yet, so does it really cut the oven time down by half? Robbie

Robbie & Alice Simons
Seattle

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 (LNRNGR) SWB Laramie
2006 2980RL (TONTOW)
Line-X bed liner
Jacobs Exhaust Brake
Prodigy Brake Controller
Hijacker 24-UMS-21 Hitch
Start Fulltiming 10/2006
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #20
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Dave, I don't see any mention of a smoke detector going off. You do have one, right? And you did check the batteries, right? I know, nag, nag, nag. Comes with the hat.

By the way, I'm sorry about the damage, but glad it wasn't worse and that neither of you got hurt.

Dennis & Leona
http://tinypic.com/fxv09e.jpg
05 3295RK
05 F350 King Ranch, Long Box, Crew Cab, 4X4, PSD, 4 in. Exhaust, X-Monitor Guages
Reese 20K with Bed Saver
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote