Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #1
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Our New Montana 2980

Hello to all. Next Thursday Dolly and I will pickup our new 2006 2980. Dolly is so excited she finally talked the guy who really was reluctant to even buy one, into a new 5er. I have been driving trucks for over 30 years and didn't really want another driving job. But it's nice to see her get excited about something that she really wants and that has never been alot. She told me when I bought the 2003 Dodge Cummins that we weren't going to let a good truck go to waste. Guess she got her way. We will be headed to south Texas at the end of Feb and first week in March. I have one question for all who would respond. I have read the tech thread with great interest about the problem with the remote thermostat. Has everyone who has this had a problem because I think ours has this same unit. I hope to get to know you all better and to maybe even meet some of you in person. I really have learned alot here and enjoy the replys I have gotten to just a few of the post that I have written. Thanks to you all and as always Happy Trails from Al & Dolly

BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Welcome Al and Dolly, I do not have the remote thermostat but I think that the problems have been taken care of. If they have not you can always change it out to a standard thermostat. Love your signature it is a classic.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Isn't it neat that us red, white, and blue guys have wives who bring out the rainbow of colors we would miss if they didn't goad us a bit. Congrats on your new acquisition. Sorry, I don't have the remote issue to deal with and may be glad I don't. Sounds like you have been "pushed" into a great lifestyle. Just relax and let her do the driving. Happy RVing...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Al and Dolly, welcome and congrs on your new coach. Thanks for sharing about yourselves. Have a safe trip down here to South Texas.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Al and Dolly, we have an 05 3400RL and we have the remote thermostat and have not had any problems with it (yet). We love our coach as I know that you will love yours as well. Congrats on your new coach. The more you use it the more you will love it. Good luck, drive careful and have fun.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Al
Since you have a new unit, the remote may have improved. If not, the change is not that difficult and your dealer may even do it for you. Try it first. Have a good time on your first outing and let us know about your adventures.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I thought I had read somewhere that Dometic got rid of the remote thermostat and went back to a traditional one. Maybe I am wrong, anways Al and Dolly enjoy your new rig and safe travels southward.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:09 AM   #8
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We have the remote thermostat and had problems when we first got our Monty. We took her back for some warranty work and had about an hour and a half discussion with the service tech over the thermostat and how it works. After showing me about 10 times how to work it ( I suffer from "I forget a lot") it worked. Now I am an old pro at using it and it works!
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 01:38 AM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Big Al, Congratulations on your new rig and you guys that drive trucks for a living usually are the envy of the campground in the way you can handle a Fiver.

My 06 Montana remote control works fine once I figured it out. I have to set it about 4 degrees high and I leave it in the wall bracket. If I leave my big light fixture fan running the unit stays within 2 degrees. I set it to 76 and then you can even select the remote to show the room temperature. It will run until it is 72 degrees shut off and start again when the temperature is 70 degrees. I have verified this with a very accurate thermometer.

My unit has the main sending unit mounted on the wall and I understand the units that had this sending unit mounted on the ceiling were very problematic.

Either I was lucky or in 06 they had improved the remote because there is no question that a very high percentage of owners could not get these things to work.

Check your own tire pressure and wheel nut torque before you leave the dealer. I was told they checked mine and I got home 60 miles later to find I only had 18 PSI in one tire and it had been repaired and overtorqued by the haul contractor. I got a new tire and an apology from my dealer. My other 3 tires were at the correct air pressure and wheel nut torque. The flat tire took 160 ft pounds to remove the nuts. I have a good quality torque wrench that reads torque in both directions. Take care, Don.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 06:27 AM   #10
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Al and Dolly, congrats on your new Monty. Know you will enjoy it.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:37 AM   #11
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Al & Dolly,

We have an '05 3400RL with the remote t-stat. So far, (knock on wood), we haven't had the problems others have reported.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #12
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Welcome Al & Dolly,

We picked up our 2980RL in December, Wife loves it too, We bought a 255RL Wildreness Advantage Last year, { basicly the same layout as the 2980) but she decided it did not have enough clothes closet space. Our furnace with remote thermostat seems to work OK, but up here in Canada you just set the furnace to full bore and pack lots of propane. Not to worry propane is cheap, I own a fleet of propane powered school buses.

Take care
John & Dawn
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote