Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2005, 04:03 AM   #1
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Scare lights. Are you a good neighbor?

At the risk of sounding like a "grumpy old fart", I thought I'd bring up a subject that some RV'ers may not have considered.

Country Gal's thread about looking for replacement bulbs for the Montana scare light, reminded me of just how bright those scare lights are. (Not picking on you Carol. Honest. Your post just reminded me of this issue)

While reading Carol's post I got to thinking about a mildly funny incident while we we looking at our 2980 prior to purchasing it. Our dealer was going over the features with us and got to the scare lights. My wife and I both told him, "Yes we are familiar with those and don't care for them much". Obviously perplexed, he asked us why we felt that way.

We went on to relate our experiences where on a number of occasions we had been camped next to Montana's where the owners left their scare lights on for extended periods (sometimes even retiring for the night and leaving them on). Apparently without considering how their lights might be affecting their neighbors.

Now.. Before anyone fires up their flamethrower, I know there are legitimate reasons for using your scare lights. I've used mine a couple of times (albeit briefly) since I've owned the Montana. All I'm saying is that we all need to remain aware of how our scare lights might affect our neighbors. Some folks we camp next to might not mind us lighting up our campsite and theirs too. Others, while they may not say anything, might not enjoy the experience.

Anyhow...Just something to consider, if you haven't thought about it already.

Gary

wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:14 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just to second Gary's excellent observation. I could not agree more. Thanks, Gary, for your courteous reminder.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:15 AM   #3
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
wileycoyote985-
Any suggestion that reminds us to be considerate of our neighbors is a good one. I know that I've been guilty of forgetting to turn off outside lights a few times myself. Of course, if we're dry camping I get my own punishment, it runs down the batteries and we don't have an onboard generator yet. (Don't you just LOVE your 2980RL?)
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:23 AM   #4
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I very rarely use them when in camp grounds/rv resorts. However, I use the heck out of them when we are up on our farm but no one else is usually camped around us. Recently, we were camped in an RV park where there was a street light right between the sites and our neighbor left his scare lights on all night only come to find out they didnt even stay overnight in their at the site. Now that's just rude.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:25 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
wileecoyote985

Great reminder! Can you come camping with us to keep us "up to snuff"?? HAHAHA

No offense taken, and seriously, a great reminder!! And, we have been guilty. Turned em on to see something, and came in, sat down and totally forgot to turn them off. Luckily, the one time it was really a problem for our neighbors they had their daughter come over and sweetly asked us to turn them off. Well, we felt like dum dums, and gladly and quickly did turn them off! They are very easy to forget and leave on! SIGH.

Those things need to be on a timer!

Carol

OH, not Country Gal, YET! I have never signed up for the user name yet, maybe sometime! Still Mrs. Countryguy!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:59 AM   #6
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
It's so nice to be around and involved with folks who still get it! This is why I'm a died-in-the-wool Libertarian. Individual freedom balanced by the requisite respect for those around us! Couldn't agree more with the posts above... the overt control of lights, noise (radios, dogs, kids) and aesthetic maintenance of our slips are paramount to not only our neighbors, but to the park owners, as well. I always figured that the owner is going to be more successful if his/her clients are a step above. We pass up parks that don't look so good (both the park and its tennants)(yes, I'm sorry, but I want to be around folks who take pride in their homes the way I do). A sucessful park owner translates into a better, often safer, park that will be there for years to come.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:06 AM   #7
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Carol..My bad... I just assumed if he was Country Guy, you were automatically Country Gal. LOL

Bill Hill;
Yes the wife and I both love the 2980. There is really not much I'd change about it, if I could. The one thing that I did so far was to put the dinette table on a swivel so that we can get by to use the fridge and micro when the slides are in.

How are those Timbrens working out for you??? Been going to order some and keep putting it off.

Thanks all
Gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:15 AM   #8
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Gary ... You're certainly NOT a grumpy old fart. On the contrary, the very nature of camping (frequently being at very close quarters next to more-often-than-not total strangers) should inspire all campers to be as considerate as humanly possible. However, we often encounter fellow campers who seem to feel that because they are out in the "wide, open spaces" they can make as much noise as they want and pretty much do whatever they want. I haven't figured out if these people are just self-absorbed morons who are totally oblivious to the world around them or if they truly don't realize how noise travels in the "wide, open spaces" ... especially at night.

I'm afraid I have been guilty of leaving the scare lights on longer than necessary (that darn CRS thing). I can only hope that if/when I should do it again, someone will politely remind me to turn them off.

This also brings to mind those campers who use the let-it-slam-so-it-will-close-quickly-and-I-don't-have-to-mess-with-it method of closing the locker doors on their campers. We've been next-door to such individuals ... drives us bananas!!!

I would mention the door slamming issue here too, but then I'm sure Carol would think I'm picking on her, so I won't go there.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:10 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary, I wholeheartedly agree with you and the others. We could probably do a whole thread about inconsiderate campers we've observed. In one of my favorite state parks there used to be a couple who thought it was "cool" to have their fifthwheel lights on a blinker. The trouble was they let them blink all night long. And I mean all the lights - tail lights and clearance lights. Now that is really annoying. The camp hosts told me when I asked they'd had numerous complaints but were told they can do nothing since it does not violate any rule. These people seemed to be in the park nearly every time I was but they always used the same site so I learned to park far away from them. So did everyone else who frequented the park. Those who were there for the first time probably wondered why all the sites on that end except the one were open. They soon found out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:02 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Vicki

You can mention the door slamming, Al and I are practicing VERY hard NOT TO GOT THERE AGAIN! However, if I have an armful of yorkies and the 4th is looking as a possible "bolter", I may revert! Ouch!

We believe that the door slamming did indeed contribute to the window falling down. For that reason alone, we don't want to go there again.

I will defend myself a bit tho, and tell ya, that I almost never slammed it at night! But, have been guilty of doing so during the daylight hours. Since the discussion of broken windows and slamming doors, Al and I are much more aware, and the slamming has all but stopped!

It is funny, how it never seemed to bother us before, but now we find it rather annoying! All in the perspective??

Carol
Old 06-24-2005, 09:54 AM   #11
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
My Challenger has one on both side, also. Often wondered. Why don't they wire a switch to each one? If you are on your patio and want the front one turned on, the back one won't be on also.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
About once a month I put them on just to see if they are still working. Other than that I have never found a reason to use them. I do agree with MIMF, they should be wired seperately.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:03 PM   #13
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
Would be nice if there were 2 scare light switches - 1 for the kerb side and 1 for the road side then you could have just the road side one on without annoying the neighbours.
Anyone out there figured out how to add the extra switch to make this work?
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 02:37 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A second switch costs money and that comes directly out of profit. So I would be surprised if Keystone added a second switch. We'll probably have to do it ourselves if we want two switches. So, if anyone figures out the wiring, please post the info for the rest of us. This wiring might be something that could be looked at by someone taking a factory tour.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

Al pulled the switch on our scare lights, and there is no way to put in a second switch, I posted his exact comments to me (he explains, I type!), ohhhh, a couple of months ago, it might still show up with a search, not sure.

Think he said the split was way up in the ceiling or something????

Carol
Old 06-24-2005, 02:58 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I remember that now, thanks. It just takes a little prodding of the ol' memory.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:03 PM   #17
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
No problem Steve,

Isn't getting older great fun?? My son says his gray hair is caused by his brains leaching out, you know, gray matter??
Old 06-24-2005, 04:31 PM   #18
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
For us, using the scare lights is dependent on the campground. At Unicoi SP, where the full hook up sites we use are close together, we do not use them, but at a campground like Calhoun Falls SP, where there is typically over 100 feet with heavy brush and trees between sites, we use them, though only when necessary.

They certainly do light up an area, and I have seen some people leave theirs on for extended periods of time and noted how inconsiderate that would be.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:17 PM   #19
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
I also have left outside lights on due to CRS. Perhaps I should install an LED pilot light by the switch to remind me. I think that there is even an LED with a built in flasher to get attention....

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:31 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I like the led pilot idea both for the scare lights and the porch light. Good idea, Eric. I wonder if that switchbox is one of those really shallow type?