Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
Broken Ceiling Fan Blade

Just made a 350 mile trip from Coeur d'Alene, Id to Auburn, Wa. When I opened up my slides, one of the fan blades on the ceiling fan was broken. Can't quite figure out how this happened as the blades are higher than the slides when they are put in. Anyway, has anyone had this happen to them and where do you go to get new blades. Do you have to replace all of them or just one? Don't want to mess up the balance of the fan and make it wobble by only replacing a mismatched blade. Does Lowes or Home Depot carry replacement blades for these fans? And finally, how do I keep this from happening again?

muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Lowes and Home Depot both sell replacement blades. They come in a set. Replace them all so they're balanced. If the bracket that holds the blade is broken, they can be purchased also.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
I just went to Lowes and they did have replacement blades. They are wider and almost 2" longer. Will that make a difference if they are that much longer. I know they are supposed to go above the slides as they close. By the way, I found that the bracket that held the blade in that broke was loose. That made it hang down lower and that is how the slide broke that particular blade. Everybody check the screws on your fan blades to make sure they are tight.
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
The length shouldn't make that much of a difference. Glad you found replacements.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We just had one break on our new 2010 Big Sky. The bracket came loose, the blade sagged and hit on the slide as it was coming in and snapped in two. Our dealer is responsible for getting it replaced. I don't know if they will have one by the time we pick it up from them next Thursday. They are doing some minor repairs, beside the fan blade.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we lost one of our screws too. I couldn't believe that one came out so soon but the blade didn't break.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
No comment Paul and Jan!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Our fan in the 08 Big Sky pukes screws on a regular basis. I finally got a pack of them at Lowes and keep them in the junk drawer. I tighten them almost every time we setup. Will have to get some lock tite for them. Although I am seriously thinking of just junking this fan and getting another zero clearance fan. The switch in mine is starting to act up finally and along with the screws I think it is about time to move up to a quality Hunter Fan... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
When replacing blades, if they are longer than the prior ones, make sure they still clear EVERYTHING including when the slides are in. Longer blades might sag just a little bit more, so again check the clearance.

While it's best to replace all four since they are typically matched, I suppose if unable to find four, then replace two with equal length on the opposite ends to keep the balance.

I have a different problem. I have the original factory blades and there is still a slight wobble at high speed. I haven't done anything about it because I don't run at high speed. I will have to attend to this. Just because you don't see a wobble doesn't mean it's not wobbling from being out of balance.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 AM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
One way to eliminate the wobble is to measure the distance of the blades from the ceiling. With the fan off, take a tape measure and measure the tip of one blade from the ceiling. Then, leaving the tape measure in place, rotate the blades until you've measured them all. They should all be the same distance from the ceiling. If not, try tightening the screws. If a blade is still off, GENTLY bend the pot metal bracket until the blade is the same distance from the ceiling. Be careful as the brackets will break if bent too much. I've been balancing fans like this for years and it works.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
You should also be checking the "pot metal" arms that connect the blades to the fan. Several folks, including myself, have found them to be broken and while some have lost a blade while it was running, I caught mine from an earlier post and replaced all my arms from a reputable fan shop as one was broken nearly in half. After replacing, I had the wobble the NCFishers mentioned and fixed it eactly the same way by gently bending one of the metal holders. All is great now!!!!!!

LIVING LIFE AND LOVING IT!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
One reason that the blades are coming loose is that the screws are being stripped by over tightening during assembly. After finding screws on the floor a couple of times I have removed them all and put Lock Tite on them! I prefer this to having flying or broken blades. Bet the fans are made in China.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote