Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Did it again.

Well, hecky darn. We did it again. Ran the washer with out opening the valve at the end of the discharge pipe. I added that valve to avoid getting a "pint of surprise", but twice now have hooked up, but forgot to open the valve. Washer does fine until the pipe gets full. Then it overflows. Our washer is piped directly into the discharge drain, not to any tank. That means the sewer hook up has to be attached and open to run it.

I am so glad I carry a one gallon shop vac. I got the water up before it hit the carpet, but I am not sure how much ran out the bottom. I am considering pulling the washer out, putting a stainless drain pan under it, drilling a hole for a piece of PVC to run out the bottom about 1/2" below the belly pan. This would be the (he dumbed it again) overflow emergency drain.

Writing it on the check list and actually doing it.........

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Stiles, Sorry to hear that. You know after the third time you will put in that pan. (only kidding).

How about making a bright colored sign that you can attach near the controls on the W/D about opening the valve first, you know kind of like the red tags for the Antenna being up?
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Stiles,
How about a FLAG on the washer to open the valve.
I know how you feel. Been there and done something like that too.
Why not just pull the valve as soon as you hook up the sewer hose. Oh yes, you have to do that too. Back to the red flag. Thanks for sharing. Good luck,
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stiles,
Is the washer on a separate circuit? Throw the breaker to the washer. When you try to run the washer and it will not come on you will remember (won't you?) to open the valve.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Both times it happened, Dianna asked me if the system was ready for her to wash. I thought I had done it, but misremembered. So in these cases, flags, notes, and breakers (all great ideas) would not have helped. I guess from now on, when we setup in a new sight, I will have to go look to see if I really did it or imagined it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Stiles,
Since you do use your washer,i'd suggest looking into products such as flood stop, http://www.onsiteproducts.com/ , while they don't specifically make a product for RV's, a quick look at their products will get the ole light bulbs working to come up with a protective device that will shut the washer down in lieu of shutting off the water valves. Our home was flooded by a defective fill valve(did not shut off while we were at wally world). Maybe such a device could have a simular impact, to the RV industry, as the Bedsaver has had. Glad you caught it.

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Stiles,
Is there any way that you could train the DW to go check it.

Never mind! I was speaking without thinking.

Edited: My DW trained herself to ask me if it was ok to wash. If I'm not sure I'll go out and check. Well of course I'm always sure. I was wrong once - no, actually I was only mistaken.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote