Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Volksmarching on the road

I wasn't sure where to post this. We combine two of our favorite past times, walking and RVing. For those not familiar, volksmarching is organized walking events sponsored by the American Volksport Association. Whenever we travel we look for sponsored events. Last summer we spent one month traveling with some friends throughout the New England states during which we were able to complete about 25 walks. These walks enable us to see a number of places that we would not even know existed.

Next year we will spend about a month traveling to California to attend the AVA convention during which we have plans to walk in New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming and Colorado.

We have found this is a great way to see different places, make new friends and do something good for ourselves. We would like to invite anyone else interested to join us on the trail.

Mark and Suanne

msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thank you for this information, Mark and Suanne. We volksmarched in Germany a couple decades ago but didn't know there were such sctivities in the U.S. I'll have to check it out.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Mark and Suanne ... your post piqued my interest enough that I've put the link for the AVA on my desktop so that I can look into it more.

When we were in South Dakota a couple of years ago, we participated in the Volksmarch to the Crazy Horse Monument. I was only able to walk about a mile ... way too hot for me to do any more ... but Steve made it to the top of the monument. He took the most fantastic pictures and will always remember the experience.

I think this is something we might like to participate in as we travel around the country.

Thanks ... and welcome to the MOC!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
That sounds like a very healthy hobby. We will have to check it out.
Welcome to the forum.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Let us know when you have something in San Antonio - we did the Government Canyon volkswalk a few year's ago - great fun!
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by refocused

Let us know when you have something in San Antonio - we did the Government Canyon volkswalk a few year's ago - great fun!
Next Saturday, the Colorada River Walkers are holding a walk in Bastrop State Park. The next scheduled walk in San Antonio is February 10 beginning at the Lutheran High School. In addition to the scheduled events, there are over 10 year round events in the San Antonio area that can be walked at your convenience. We are planning to walk in Boerne on Tuesday morning barring poor weather.

Mark
Old 01-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vickir

Mark and Suanne ... your post piqued my interest enough that I've put the link for the AVA on my desktop so that I can look into it more.

When we were in South Dakota a couple of years ago, we participated in the Volksmarch to the Crazy Horse Monument. I was only able to walk about a mile ... way too hot for me to do any more ... but Steve made it to the top of the monument. He took the most fantastic pictures and will always remember the experience.

I think this is something we might like to participate in as we travel around the country.

Thanks ... and welcome to the MOC!
to wit...

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Funny you should say that it was too hot in South Dakota Vicki. I think it was three years ago (maybe 4) that Bill and I walked to the top of Crazy Horse and we have a very simular picture. They hold this the first full weekend of June each year. We walked it on a Sunday and the day before it snowed the whole day. I got all the way to the last turn and wanted to quit but met a 90 year old women that had stopped to rest. You can bet that I kept going. I still have the medal that Bill bought me. One month later I quite smoking and would love to do it again so we are also interested in finding more places. Thanks for the link.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The walk to the top of Crazy Horse is such a great experience. If your in the Black Hills for a few days, check out the hike to the top of Harney Peak. The view is also amazing....

Steve,
Thanks for the pic, brought back some really great memories of growing up in the Black Hills... =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
I haven't been on a Volksmarch since I left Germany in 1977. We (a group of Army buddies) would head out on Saturday morning and walk 20km through the German country side. It was some of the best times I ever had in Europe. Going to add the website to my favorite list also.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:39 PM   #11
DMS
Established Member

M.O.C. #5504
Mark and Suanne
I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. Marcia and I also enjoy Volkswalks and were just talking today about some of the upcoming ones in Washington State. Our plan down the road is to take in as many as possible on our trips. Like you said you end up seeing things you would never normally see while getting lots of exercise. We hope to also spend more time geocaching which has also taken us to places we never would have known existed. Hope to meet you at on the trail someday. Let us know if you get out to Washington State.

Doug
DMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:23 AM   #12
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DMS

Mark and Suanne
I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. Marcia and I also enjoy Volkswalks and were just talking today about some of the upcoming ones in Washington State. Our plan down the road is to take in as many as possible on our trips. Like you said you end up seeing things you would never normally see while getting lots of exercise. We hope to also spend more time geocaching which has also taken us to places we never would have known existed. Hope to meet you at on the trail someday. Let us know if you get out to Washington State.

Doug
Doug

Any chance you are coming down to the convention in Sacramento this summer. We have reservations at the Sacramento KOA and plans to do the convention walks. Right now there is a large group from San Antonio planning to attend.

Mark
Old 01-25-2007, 02:59 AM   #13
DMS
Established Member

M.O.C. #5504
Mark
Are you talking about the Volkswalk convention? I haven't seen anything on it yet but will take a look on the site. At this point it's probably doubtful since I'm not retired yet and being a farmer we will be staying closer to home but you never know. We'll check the dates and see what happens. We are really looking forward to the day that we too can travel and go to any walk we want to. But until then keep us posted on some of your walks. What a great way to exercise and have fun at the same time.

Doug
DMS is offline   Reply With Quote