Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Utillity Box mounted to rear end?

I've been thinking about this for a while...and have been trying to come up with a good way of doing it.

I want a box to haul a little firewood and a grill...outdoors type stuff that I don't want the weight (and dirt) up front.
I've been told those bumpers aren't very strong at all, so I've been thinking of some kind of bracket off the frame rails to hold a box...probably like an open grate type with a frame and lock.

What do you guys think, good idea? Can the trailer handle that?
I've looked all over and haven't found a suitable store bought type, so I've been thinking of building my own, or having a welder make one for me.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ozzie, do you have a Mountaineer with the bumper and the bike rack, or do you have a Montana??? I am sure you will get different answers depending on the unit you have.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Thanks for replying CountryGuy.
We have a Mountaineer trailer and not a fifth wheel. A 327RKS that has 3340lbs worth of carrying capacity.
Here's a link to our rig...327RKS

I'm not interested in overloading the rig at all, but thought if the weight was off the back it would be better than by the hitch.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I am sure some of the fellas will happen along with a lot more info that I can offer. I know our friends have a Mountaineer 315RLS (2005 year). IT came with a pull out arrangement off the back, which is for bikes, and has a weight limit of 200 pounds stamped right on it. I am gonna guess you did not get that little goodie.

You might give Keystone or Lippert a call on this. I am gonna guess (dangerous, tho it may be) that because you have a TT not a 5er, that your ablility to tote something on the back will be different than the 5er. Lots of different physics and all that apply to a TT vs a 5er.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:28 PM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
You're right about me not getting that goody. We bought a model that was used in the shows and got a good deal on it.
The salesman tried to sell us a rig that was heavier than the rating of our truck and by the time we settled on this one, he just wanted to be done with us.
200 pounds sounds about right though including the weight of the box.
...and from what I've read on those bumpers - they aren't suited to mount anything on. That is why I'm interested in a frame mount.

I am painfully aware of the weight I can put in the back of my truck, I really need to get it in to see how close I am in weight.
I tried telling my wife I could save 50-60 lbs by going with an lcd tv, but she isn't buying it...LOL
Old 07-25-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Ozzie: Have you considered putting a hitch haul tray and a s/s truck box on the tray? It installs in the 2" receiver on the back of the truck. It works for us and it doesn't interfere with towing. I have pics if you are interested in my album.
http://community.webshots.com/album/389825902zffFMR
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:25 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Ozzie, we came right through your neighborhood yesterday on the way from Leech Lake (Walker, MN) to New Hampton, IA. How do you keep your wife away from the Mall of America?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:37 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ozzie,
I did that on our Keystone Sprinter 399RLS we traded in. I welded 3/8" blocks of steel where the bumper mounts to the frame on both sides, boxed it in, then boxed in the receiver hitch the same way about 10" wide, then welded a receiver hitch with gussets to support it on the sides. I then cut down the wire bottom cargo rack and welded supports from the bumper to the cargo platform, the bikes went on the receiver hitch, the cargo rack held our two BBQ grills and some other stuff.
Worked great, offset the weight with 4 Golf Cart batteries in front, made me pretty heavy though.
E-mail with your E-mail address and I will send pictures, don't know how to do it on here, too thick headed.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:05 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Someone on here (or that other website forum) welded a 2" receiver to the frame, and then used it for whatever he wanted - a bike rack, a hitch carrier tray thing-a-majig, etc. You could even make a rack for a grill !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Thinking a bit more about the responses referring to a 2" receiver is swaying me to think this may be the best way to go.
I like the idea of having some flexability in how this could be used.
A 2" receiver gives me options...
The part I don't like about that idea is what I see as a sloppy fit between the parts. The last thing I want is to have whatever I put in that receiver to move around going down the road. I recall just seeing a product to take the slop out of the fit...now where dd I see that...

@jrgwdenner...Minnesota is a great place for camping. We have some property not far from Leech . It's great other than the bugs up north. Southern Minnesota has more rivers than lakes, so the bugs are very tolerable, even almost non-existant.
My wife isn't a shopper and doesn't care more the Mega Mess (local term). I got lucky in more ways that one...
Now our daughters are another story...but at least it isn't my money anymore...LOL
Old 07-25-2006, 01:01 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

Thinking a bit more about the responses referring to a 2" receiver is swaying me to think this may be the best way to go.
I like the idea of having some flexability in how this could be used.
A 2" receiver gives me options...
The part I don't like about that idea is what I see as a sloppy fit between the parts. The last thing I want is to have whatever I put in that receiver to move around going down the road. I recall just seeing a product to take the slop out of the fit...now where dd I see that...

@jrgwdenner...Minnesota is a great place for camping. We have some property not far from Leech . It's great other than the bugs up north. Southern Minnesota has more rivers than lakes, so the bugs are very tolerable, even almost non-existant.
My wife isn't a shopper and doesn't care more the Mega Mess (local term). I got lucky in more ways that one...
Now our daughters are another story...but at least it isn't my money anymore...LOL
Ozzie,
I welded a large nut on the top and side of the reciever hitch, drilled through the walls, then took a bolt and tightened it against the male part of the reciever hitch, took out the slop.
Ozz
Old 07-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
you sound like quite the handy person Ozz...
Are you sure we aren't related?
I just saved myself 90 bucks today...my fuel pump was going out on my truck (under warranty) and I asked the dealer about a rattle on my muffler heatsheild.
They offered to put straps around it for a mere $95...
I went to the hardware store and bought some strapping and bolts for $5 and fixed it myself in 15 minutes...
Old 07-25-2006, 02:21 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cool, and...............You know it's done right!!
Now, some poor car dealer can't tip the stripper that usual $100.00, don't you feel bad?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
I visited a pro welder today about mounting a 2" receiver to the back of the rig. I might be a handy guy, but when it comes to this stuff - I talk to the pro's.
It wasn't all good news, he had done a few jobs similar to what I was asking. His take was because those frame rails are so thin, he would need to beef them up to prevent tearing or breaking loose.
One guy carried a golf cart off the back...- and it reduced the tongue weight to the point that safety became a concern.
I guess this tells me this welder knows what it takes to build it right.
A ball park figure based on our conversation was over $300 - and that's just for the receiver mounted up.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:39 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Have heard figures of $300 to $700 for a receiver and framing required on Montana model like ours. Does add some weight back there just for the hardware.

Keep us posted as to what you decide.