Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2004, 05:19 PM   #1
Montana_512
Established Member

M.O.C. #512
Mold and Mildew, ...

I had tried many solutions to the mold and mildew the covers the top of my 2955. It is particularly bad where the water runs down the side from the roof drain. ... Margaret brought home some "Oxi Clean" from WalMart and said the lady in the department sugested I try it. She said it worked wonders with her tagalong. I mixed a double charge and went to the roof with my spounge mop. Boy was I surprised! The first pass I made left a completely clead spot on my roof with no scrubbing. I mopped the toof down and went to the drains and found to my delight I had the same results there. One swipe and it was completly clean with no scrubbing. ... I would like to hear if anyone else has tried Oxi Clean. Would be interested in hearing your results.

Montana_512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:45 PM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
This is interesting cause I just bought a rubber roof cleaner and conditioner from our RV store. This is what they said you need to do at least once a year. Duh! Do you need to do the conditioner or not? or just clean it? Hmmmmm! Now I wonder???????????
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Prariepoodle.....There was a topic here not too long ago about cleaning and conditioning the rubber roofs. If I remember correctly, all you really need to use is Dawn dishwashing detergent. There were links to the manufacturer of the rubber roof and to Keystone. I'll see if I can find it and post a link to it for you. (I don't think it addressed the issue of mold and mildew though).
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:28 AM   #4
Montana_512
Established Member

M.O.C. #512
Dawn was one of the first thing I tried and met with poor results. It removed the dirt but not the mold and mildew. .. If you have the same black deposit on your top as I have on mine I think you will be surprised with the results. Let me know. ...
Old 08-26-2004, 03:08 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What's in OxyClean? Any petroleum distillates (a no-no for a rubber roof). If not, I might give it a try.

I'll probably be off MOC for up to a month so may not see a reply for awhile. I'll have email most days, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:33 PM   #6
Montana_512
Established Member

M.O.C. #512
Streigle, ... Oxi Clean looks like a powder detergent but I can't find the ingrediants on the container. It is made by Orange Glow and they list as safe for fiberglass boats . They list a Web site as www.oxiclean.com.It is used primarily as a stain remover for general laundry but they do say not to use on wool or silk .. Relichunter
Old 09-02-2004, 01:53 AM   #7
Montana_1826
Established Member

M.O.C. #1826
I contacted Oxy Clean to inquire about the petroleum distillates. They said it did not contain petroleum distillates but powdered Oxy Clean can be drying on rubber and if used, should be rinsed immiediatly and not left on for an extended amount of time.
Montana_1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:29 AM   #8
Montana_512
Established Member

M.O.C. #512
I found it worked best if you cleaned the roof in small sections followed by vigorus rinsing. .. What makes it so nice is that the Oxi Clean seems to just melt away the dirt and mold. ... No scrubbing! .. It did a decent job on the bugs stuck to the front also. .. I applied it and left it for five minutes or so and did another application and rinsed. Good to hear that it contained no petrolium distillates.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:15 PM   #9
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I cleaned our Mountaineer today in preparation for our Labor Day Weekend campout. After seeing this post the other day I purchased a a spray bottle of Oxy Clean from the laundry detergent section of the grocery store. The rubber roof had stains that I could not scrub off. The Oxy Clean took them off with no effort. I did not leave on very long and I rinsed throughly. It also cleaned the mildew off the slide awnings with little scrubbing. This stuff is very good. I hope it doesn't hurt the rubber or vinyl with repeated use. When some thing works this well, it makes me nervous.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:49 AM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
reading about this product started to sound like a commercial advertisement.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote