Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
Satellite TV

What is your opinion of Dish for a tv provider? We are considering a dish tv system using the "pay as you go" service. I've heard their customer service is almost nill so what do you do if you have a problem? For the guests using the pay as you go, how do you like it? Is it true that you can quit pay as you go any time and then call them and have it reinstated? How long does it take dish to reinstate your service after having it turned off? Has there been any sudden or hidden charges associated with pay as you go or with dish? As you travel around the country, how has the reception been? I think I've painted the picture that we have never had a satellite tv before which is true. Thanks for your input and suggestions.

Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
We have had Dish NW in our stick home for 15 years, no problem. We travel with 2 Tailgaters very easy to hit the satellites. You are right about pay as you go. When you travel with the satellite systems remember you are always at the mercy of the things called trees.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #3
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
We also have Dish in our S&B. Dish on the RV has been super simple to turn on and off as needed (aka pay as you go). Trees and other obstructions are the same regardless of your type of install. When we stayed in Yellowstone's Fishing Bridge I could only get one satellite locked due to the dense tree cover of our spot. No big deal as we didn't go to YS to watch TV. We will be out of the S&B this summer and FT. Will be ditching the vip receivers in the Montana and installing a Hopper3. We have a Trav'ler so we do not have ability to move it around like the Tailgater. We could add another dish on a tripod but have not felt the need to do that at this point and the convenience of one touch auto tracking was more important to me.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Have been happy with Dish, we used pay as you go for the first 6 mon or so with no issue. We then picked up dish at home also so now we leave our RV received on the plan for only $7 a month. Reception is good in the lower 48 as long as you have a clear view of the southern sky. Very easy to set up. Recommend a separate antenna and receiver for each TV you plan to use. Several antenna advertise they will do 2 TVs but they don't work well that way.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Have been happy with Dish, we used pay as you go for the first 6 mon or so with no issue. We then picked up dish at home also so now we leave our RV received on the plan for only $7 a month. Reception is good in the lower 48 as long as you have a clear view of the southern sky. Very easy to set up. Recommend a separate antenna and receiver for each TV you plan to use. Several antenna advertise they will do 2 TVs but they don't work well that way.
AZ Traveler, thanks for the input but now I'm a little worried. I believe the tailgater and the G2 have two outputs. My plan was to connect the main output to the living room tv and the other output to the bedroom tv, are you saying this configuration doesn't work to good? What issues have you had with this config? Thanks again!
Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
When you use either of those 2 antenna with 2 TVs you need both of the channels you want to watch on the same satellite if you are going to watch at the same time. A lot of folks don't understand that and don't like it. You still need 2 separate receivers even with that configuration but it will work decent if you plan to only watch 1 TV at a time.

If I was going to pick between those 2 antenna, I would go with the G2 as it has a bigger dish and will pick up either east or west satellites which is good for working around trees. Only downside is its physical size is a little bigger.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have had Dish at home for many years. And have had Dish pay as you go in the RV for several years. In spite of hearing about customer service problems we have never experienced that. Any time I have called Dish they always spent however much time necessary to do what ever I have needed. And friendly while doing it. Changing locals as we have traveled has always been fast and easy. Some claim using Dish chat a even easier.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:10 AM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We have been very happy with Dish Network for over 10 years. We are full timers and are on the Flex Plan. Customer service is great and most things are promptly handled using their chat feature. We prefer to use a standard 1000.2 dish mounted to a tripod so the trees aren't a problem for us. Have run coax up to 150' length with no problem and it works nicely with the Hopper3 receiver.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote