Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
New Big Sky

Anybody know of somebody with one of the new Big Sky's???? me and my wife will be looking at getting a new 5er and we like the 382rl Big Sky but I do not want to be a Guinea Pig for these new models they are similar to our 3402rl except they have the all in one bathroom and a nice long counter /Pantry/wine rack in the kitchen ,dishwasher,and of course the 100in frame ,I am nervous about spending 80K on a new product,why don't one of you buy one FIRST to get the bugs out it for the rest of us

Old 06-30-2014, 03:54 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What they look like, what they have in them is not what to look for.. How they are built..build quality, build quality. The new improved stand alone Big Sky should be several steps above the regular Montana or any other brand in the price range. I do not know as we have not seen one.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:39 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Great question. Will be interested to see if we can see them built when we are at the Rally this year.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:03 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I saw a new Big Sky last week. I was hoping to see a much improved product over the past units and sadly I saw much of what Rich and many other members have been complaining about. Quality and build/workmanship issues. Now maybe it was just that one unit, but from what I saw, I would look at other rigs in luxury segment as I feel there is better quality and materials being used out there in roughly the same price point. Just my opinion...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep there is a few other SOB's we are looking at and saw at dealers but I was amazed at how many of them on the lot had something wrong with them AKA misaligned cupboards, trim falling off , smashed wheel caps etc.. it seems they really take a beating on the 2K trip out West it looks like when they roll into the lot they look like they are a couple years old already NASTY LOOKING but we will keep looking ours is doing great so no hurry,We just want one for sure that has a 100in wide body frame our friends SOB does and that extra 4in wide makes a difference so another Regular Montana is not on our list
Old 06-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
We have all heard about putting lipstick on a pig. It is still what it is.

Need to remember not all roads will allow a over 96" vehicle.
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
What roads are those that do not allow 100in wide bodies???? maybe some back roads that I would not go on anyway, I have been on the road for years and never ran into one and neither has anybody I have known with class A's that are wide bodies or 5th's so that won't deter me from getting a wide body
Old 06-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
We looked at SOB while traveling, full body paint, level up, and a way better build. Simple things, slam latches on every door. The drawers, inside had 4 screws per slider, Montana has 2, hydraulic system well laid out and accessible, simple things. Much better interior lighting system, with switches located in places that made since. The full body paint was fantastic. And less then the New Big Sky price. Had they had the floor plan we are looking for, there would be a new unit sitting at my house. It can be done, Keystone, just needs to make the decision to do it right, as long as they sell, there is no reason to change build quality. And the do continue to sell.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I try to keep up and we have not seen the new Big Sky yet so will not comment on build quality. When looking at what I consider 'Comparable' brands I am talking about top of the line Jayco, top of the line Forest River and I see no better build quality than the Top of the line Montana. I do not consider Redwood "comparable" but see no better build quality.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep Rich am looking at those mentioned and a hard look at the New Jayco Pinnacle with 102in frame also Dutchman Infinity and liked the Cardnials but when I went to look at them they had cupboards falling off misaligned and other lame quality issues so they are out, I like Redwoods and I talked to a couple who had a new one and they have had BIG problems with theirs and they have 96in frames like Montana's so they are out,the search continues.......
Old 06-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #11
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Early last year when LOML told me she wanted a 5er, I started looking very closely at the quality of new ones while she tried finding a floor plan she would be happy with. Although she found a few models of varying brands that she liked, all were really built poorly. Some were so bad that I don't think they could be used without a lengthy stay at a dealership getting fixed. There were only two brand names I found to be consistently well built that were anywhere close to our price range, but neither had a floor plan both of us liked. Once we started looking at 3+ years old and used, things changed drastically. Build quality was noticeably better no matter what brand, and we managed to agree on a floor plan. Don't know as what I saw is uniformly true, but it certainly seems that way to me. There's so many brands that claim to be high quality but aren't that I wonder what these people are thinking we 'users' are thinking. Do they really believe we'll just buy whatever they slap together for close to $100k? Guess they must!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Yep Rich am looking at those mentioned and a hard look at the New Jayco Pinnacle with 102in frame also Dutchman Infinity and liked the Cardnials but when I went to look at them they had cupboards falling off misaligned and other lame quality issues so they are out, I like Redwoods and I talked to a couple who had a new one and they have had BIG problems with theirs and they have 96in frames like Montana's so they are out,the search continues.......
Your search is going to be educational and eye opening. You live to far away for factory tours but that might discourage you from buying any brand. IMO you are gonna get the same problems in any brand but you can get the Montana for far less $$$$. The MOC is a big plus but not a reason to purchase one and the service has been, at least to me, outstanding....... Thus far....We may be re evaluating.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I agree with ya Rich, the bang for the buck you get with Montana has no Equal's, my Buddy bought a Grand Design Solitude although a pretty 5th inside and out but for 2K less for my Montana I got SOOO much more goodies than him and that is why I have had two and also the MOC is a great Forum and would hate to give up on Montana that is why I am still looking at the New Big Sky as far as Service I would not know mine has never been back for warranty work or anything else , my toilet went out but Keystone just shipped me one and I did it myself I have got to be the luckiest RV owner on the Planet
Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #14
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
I agree with BSky and Rich, my post was not to say that the Montana line is bad, or that others are better on all counts. It is give and take, the others, don't have the floor plans that the Montana line does. We are currently in the market for a new 5ver, and the Montana line is very much in contention. We have had very little issues with ours, except cap fade, which I corrected with a paint job. I am just a little leary of the Montana line. I have spent over 9 hours in a 356TBF check every detail(including number of screws holding counter draw slide in) this one appears to be pretty good shape(the PDI will be just as long if I pull the trigger), I have found a few issues that will be corrected. They have agreed to swap my tires and quad steps, install a 30" Convection MicroWave in place of the 30" microwave. Remove rear couch and give me $$$ off price, I have dealt with this dealers for years. And they know I am a good customer, who will walk, if they piss me off. I highly recommend them to friends and give them a lot of referrals. It helps both sides of the deal.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

I agree with ya Rich, the bang for the buck you get with Montana has no Equal's, my Buddy bought a Grand Design Solitude although a pretty 5th inside and out but for 2K less for my Montana I got SOOO much more goodies than him and that is why I have had two and also the MOC is a great Forum and would hate to give up on Montana that is why I am still looking at the New Big Sky as far as Service I would not know mine has never been back for warranty work or anything else , my toilet went out but Keystone just shipped me one and I did it myself I have got to be the luckiest RV owner on the Planet
The thing is we are 225 miles from Goshen, the factory and the service center Tpk nearly all the way. We also can make all the fall rallies. Keystone does go above and beyond at the fall rallies as do the vendors. BTW many brands have rallies there and they all go above and beyond at the rallies. I made a mistake this time by not going to Goshen to have the BIG Sky repaired. When we had two tanks installed on our 06 3400 in Goshen we were in and out in two days.

Customer service has been outstanding. Repair at the service center or most of the many shops in the area is excellent. They know Rv's in that area.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #16
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I love my Big Sky!
I often look at the competetors. I have yet to find anything to make me turn my head, including the new line Big Sky. Value per dollar, Montana is undefeatable.
We sell several SOBs and have stopped selling two of the big names because they spend more time in the shop than on the road.
I recently made a new friend who had purchased an expensive brand that gave him so much trouble that his dealer bought it back and put him in a new Big Sky. After 6 mos usage as a fulltimer, he has no issues that he could not handle himself.
I'm sure that most of you know that Big Sky has been moved to a new assembly line and has become a seperated from Montana. Because you are a Montana dealer doesn't mean you are a BS dealer. A "ball park" figure for price increase is about $20,000.
Montana is still available in full body paint with the options from the BS Package, just no Logo.
We are selling the new line on a special order basis only.
Hope you find this helpful.
I omitted SOB names intentionally according to our forums standards.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #17
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Hook, just got to have the 100in frame our friends have a Grand Designs Solitude with the 100 in frame and they have a bigger storage and more room inside than we do and that is a FACT, that extra 4in makes a difference BUT... ,that being said I would NEVER buy a Grand Designs over a Montana We have WAY more goodies for the price over them ,SOOOO I would like to stay with Montana(BIG SKY) only if can
Old 07-01-2014, 03:14 AM   #18
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
I am not up on all this, but I seem to remember hearing that Grand Design was started by former Keystone execs who wanted to build a better unit. We looked at their Toyhauler offering when we started to look to replace our previous fifth wheel. They look pretty, but those neon blue interior accent lights were horrible in my opinion.

So is there any truth in that? Maybe by "build a better unit" they really meant "decorate the way they want"?

As far as the 100" frame, I think you may notice a slight difference in a comparable floorplan. I'd be very interested in seeing our floorplan in 100" but I don't know that I'd pay $20k more for it.
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:49 AM   #19
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yes Grand Designs was started by former Keystone execs ,we travel with 3 people with Solitudes we call them the "TUDES" GD did a smart thing when they first came out and got a lot of customers because of the Eye Candy effect and they are roomy inside(100in frame) and they are pretty fifth's for sure BUT that is where it ends, all of them have been back to the dealer for repairs many times I paid 2K less for my Montana Fully loaded except full body paint they do not even have slide toppers,central vacuum,cheap stereo surround sound/TV and not even a Ceiling fan because the roof is not high enough(dumb) and many other things ,Montana has the best bang for the Buck hands down although they do get all the attention in the Resorts, mine is just another one of those Montana's
Old 07-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839

We may be slowly coming to the realization that Build quality in the RV industry is about the same brand wide. Different brands may have higher quality vendor provided items but how they are assembled is Build Quality. I can not see paying more for a unit and having the same build quality issues. That is why Montana is the best bang for the buck. We can correct the build quality issues add a decent suspension system for heavy use and have a high quality unit for less money that the so called high $$ units.