Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
mygalval1956
Established Member

M.O.C. #22158
Self Leveling Jacks

We have a 2018 Montana 3120RL. We are having problems with our rear jacks extending while driving down the road. They have extended while sitting in our driveway also. Has anyone had this issue and know what may be the cause of this happening? We took it into Camping World after our maiden voyage but they said everything appears fine. Just got home from our second trip and the jacks extended while driving again.

mygalval1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Sound Like you may have air or a very small call and talk to Lippert Support (574) 537-8900 They are a great help!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
mygalval1956
Established Member

M.O.C. #22158
Thanks Builder Bob. We called Lippert, however, unfortunately they were not helpful. The person my husband spoke with said he would have to see it do it to be able to help. Basically, this is what Camping World said too. Unless they come with us on a trip I don't know how they are going to see it do it. I'm a bit frustrated with the answers.
mygalval1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Builder Bob may be on to something.
I had a similar thing happen with my 2010 rig. The bedroom slide would creep out while driving or just sitting or a day or so. it was air in the line, I added more fluid to the reservoir and ran the slides in and out a few times and fixed.

This may not help yours but worth a try.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
There are ways of checking out the hydraulics on any of our fivers if you know what to do. Most owners just don't have the background. It could be air, bad cylinder seals, bad valve, bad check valve, loose fitting, leak in a hydraulic hose … The system is self bleeding if you run the cylinders full stroke extended and retracted 3-4 times. Let the pump motor rest several minutes between stroking the cylinders as it does have a duty cycle mentioned by Phil P. Check all cylinder fittings for leaks and tightness … check as many hoses that you can access … check all fittings around the pump and distribution manifold. The fittings are O-ring fittings which have an O-ring under the nut and flat washer on each fitting They use no pipe dope or teflon thread to seal … the nut holds pressure on the washer that compresses the O-ring at the fitting which does the sealing. Start with checking your hydraulic reservoir with all your slides in and landing gear up. The level should be around an inch from the top. Any Mercon tranny fluid will work in your system. If the level is correct … cycle the cylinders as mentioned earlier. This will at least remove the trapped air issue if present.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Manually lower the rear jacks to the same amount they would extend on their own. Take it to CW and say, there, it's doing it.

If you can't fix it yourself make them do their job. When they give excuses for not fixing it it is usually because they don't know what to do and/or they might loose money on the repair.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:38 AM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
dieselguy

The first thing I would do is plug the lines and cap the cylinder on one of the jacks that leak down and let it sit for a day or so to see if it leaks down.

Continue the test process if needed to establish one of the cylinders isn’t bypassing inside.

I just did this on a Grader to find the load hold check valve was leaking not the cylinder I had just replaced because it had a built strike.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Montana Man … you mentioned "If you can't fix it yourself make them do their job." A few of us on the MOC have hydraulic backgrounds. Many RV service departments do not employ such a person and I've been around several service bays over the years enough to know. With increasing complexity of their units … RV owners are caught between a rock and a hard spot so to speak. A competent tech with hydraulic experience isn't going to be employed at a RV dealership for $12 - $15/hr … there' are simply too many other higher paying opportunities. This is not providing an answer to the issue … just pointing out reality.

Phil P ... good approach … I was just expanding on the "air in system" responses.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #9
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Montana Man … you mentioned "If you can't fix it yourself make them do their job." A few of us on the MOC have hydraulic backgrounds. Many RV service departments do not employ such a person and I've been around several service bays over the years enough to know. With increasing complexity of their units … RV owners are caught between a rock and a hard spot so to speak. A competent tech with hydraulic experience isn't going to be employed at a RV dealership for $12 - $15/hr … there' are simply too many other higher paying opportunities. This is not providing an answer to the issue … just pointing out reality.

Phil P ... good approach … I was just expanding on the "air in system" responses.
I appreciate your logic. I too have 6 years of hydraulic experience, mostly aviation. I feel that these shops should, if nothing else, be truthful about their abilities. If they don't have the skill then say so. On the other hand, these leveling systems are so common a minimally trained tech could perform most of these repetitive repairs. I agree in that these jobs are not career type jobs for the skilled but the business needs to serve the customer, not tell us that the system is fine when it isn't.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I well agree that the mechanical part of the leveling systems are basic, but visualize this scenario. Instruct an owner or unskilled tech to fully extend a given cylinder, then remove and cap the retract side hydraulic line from the cylinder. Apply momentary pressure to the extend side of the cylinder and check for flow out the retract fitting for more than a few drops. A pool of oil denoting piston seal failure. What's the chance they have no cap and skip that instruction … what's the chance they accidentally press retract instead of extend … it's all probable and I have thrown away a shirt or two standing too near a guy when it happened. I agree with your last reply … again I'm just dealing in reality.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
I was driving down I-70 and had a driver come up along side me and pointed toward my rear jacks as well. They had come down a little after we had pulled them up before leaving.

Rick and Jeanne
2013 F350 6.7 CC LB SRW
2018.5 Montana 3791RD
Troutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #12
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I carry a full set of JIC and Flat caps and plugs in my truck.

Too bad when towing the Montana I don’t have room for all of this “STUFF” LOL

Phil P
Old 07-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #13
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Montana Man

What type of aircraft you been working on. My aircraft experience started with the Cub and finished with the Gulfstreams and Changers.

My hydraulic experience started with auto brakes and dump truck lift systems at age 15.

Phil P
Old 07-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #14
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Montana Man

What type of aircraft you been working on. My aircraft experience started with the Cub and finished with the Gulfstreams and Changers.

My hydraulic experience started with auto brakes and dump truck lift systems at age 15.

Phil P
My experience started much like yours with cars and other misc. systems. Then it was military C-130's then commercial aircraft. Mostly Boeing 727, 737, 747, and then some. Don't ever for forget to wash your hands very well before using the restroom after working with skydrol!
Old 07-14-2018, 03:56 AM   #15
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
My experience started much like yours with cars and other misc. systems. Then it was military C-130's then commercial aircraft. Mostly Boeing 727, 737, 747, and then some. Don't ever for forget to wash your hands very well before using the restroom after working with skydrol!

Hi

You bet and we use to keep a product that I now can’t remember the name of in the tool box in case you got it in your eye.

Retired as Chief Inspector on a fleet of Gulfstreams and Chalangers. I turned down the Director of Maintenance more than once because I just got tired of dealing with owners of 8 plus million dollar aircraft.

Out of the things I have lost my mine is what I miss the most. LOL

Phil P
Old 07-14-2018, 07:36 AM   #16
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have the same thing happening on my new 2018, one time the left side jacks, another time the left side and the slide outs. Another trip it was the two front ones. Heave in shop now they side they are ordering part. Can only hope they know what they are doing🤔.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #17
nanci&tom

M.O.C. #20100
Leveling jacks drifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygalval1956 View Post
We have a 2018 Montana 3120RL. We are having problems with our rear jacks extending while driving down the road. They have extended while sitting in our driveway also. Has anyone had this issue and know what may be the cause of this happening? We took it into Camping World after our maiden voyage but they said everything appears fine. Just got home from our second trip and the jacks extended while driving again.
We also have a 2018 Montana and had the same problem with the rear jacks. I took it to a local Montana dealer/service facility and the put in a new solenoid switch and told me that would fix the problem. It did not!! I took it back to them but I also called Lippert (the manufacturer) and they told me they had to run a pressure test (I think that is what they called it) on the jacks. When I called the service advisor he said Wow! Good to know. I'll tell the guys.He did...they did it.. the jacks were bad and had to be replaced.
nanci&tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #18
chandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #19813
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygalval1956 View Post
I Had the exact problem with my 2018 3160RL and the same response from CW. Here's the fix: Look in your battery compartment, that is where the hydraulics are located. Check the end of each hydraulic line there it enters the hydraulic pump and also the outer surface of the pump for any sign of leakage. It will be very minute, I suggest using a solid color paper towel. Also check each connection under the trailer going into the levelers.
Having done this you are now prepared to call Lipper (LCI) because they will ask you if you did all that and the results. Call Brandon at 5738900. He walk me through my fix over the phone which amounted to less than 1/16 of a turn on the hydraulic pump connection
good luck Chandy
chandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #19
browens62
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21399
I hear on the washing your hand after working with skydrol. Lol
browens62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #20
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Are you performing the Auto-Retract function before hitting the road? That is supposed to create a huge amount of hydraulic suction to prevent the jacks from drifting downward. Not sure what to say about what happens in the driveway since you need the front jacks extended and running auto-retract is not an option.
laverdur is offline   Reply With Quote