Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
RVND 7720 No Street Names

Just recieved the new RVND 7720 and took it out for a spin. It might be me but there are no street names on the map just lines and I see no options to add them. My Garmin had street names and I used them to get an idea of where I was as I was driving. I drove around my neighborhood and found That by using the map I had no idea where I was and unless I entered a location had no idea how to go anywhere. I like the unit but unless it can display street names it's going back.

jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Get a hold of John Kohl. He has the unit and may be able to help get it to display the names.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Did you try changing the scale? My Nav looks like lines for most roads until I zoom in. But when zoomed out, there's still some names.

I had another vehicle with a Nav that did pretty much all lines even when I zoomed in, but the screen was small so I think they didn't want to crowd the display. I definitely prefer the names so me and DW(navigator) knows what to expect. She complains that all the lines look alike so they are no help and I have to agree.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Zoomed in to the max and still just all lines. I couldn't figure out where I Was. Will call them Monday. I hope they have an answer.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sounds like a plan! I hope it's to be a configuration issue. That limitation would drive me nuts. Even my 2" Garmin GPS screen has more information than just lines.

Keep us posted.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
I don't know if you figured it out yet but I bought a 7720 a few weeks ago and used it last week on a quick 2,000 mile round trip to Goshen and back and was pretty pleased with it.

I find that if I zoom in all the way (100' range) the street names disappear but at the next lowest resolution (200') the names are there. As you zoom out from there the names eventually disappear.

I think the disappearing act is likely due to screen clutter on the lower zoom level and at the high zoom you are seeing such a small piece of the street that the other streets are usually gone so you should by that zoom level know which street you are looking at.. I also noticed that if you have the unit set to auto zoom, the names are there when you are nearing your destination or waypoint because the unit zooms in to the appropriate resolution needed at the moment. I don't believe that the unit ever auto-zooms into the 100' resolution.

I found that using the unit in auto zoom mode worked really well. When traveling the interstate it zoomed out to show me my progress relative to the larger journey but when nearing a way point, or POI it slowly zoomed in without my having to do a thing. If I were you I'd check the autozoom and try using at that setting and see how it works for you.

I also liked the way it was infinitely customizable. By setting driving speeds and playing with that setting a bit the ETA on an 11hr trip was off by only a few minutes. It is pretty loud too. My hearing is good so I had to turn her down a bit. You can also program in at what speed over the limit you want the unit to warn you about speed. I set mine to bark at 8mph over, so I can go 7 over without it yelling. My garmin either yells when I go over or I have to turn that function off.

Like all GPS's, the routing algorithms are not always perfect. Even if you have it programmed for fastest trip for instance. On this trip headed south it wanted to send me on a route that was shorter but IMO would have taken longer so I went a different way. Going North I had listened to the unit against my better judgement and was able to verify that my route was better on the southbound leg. Small point, but I always say that the GPS is great for local info but for the long haul it's still good to scout out the route and have your own plan.

I also like that the unit has worked with Allstays and incorporated some of their data into its database. Going north and south I figured on driving till i got tired and then just look for somewhere to park and both times I was able to ask the unit for a "QuickStop" which gives you choices of Pilot/Flying J's, Wallmarts etc so I was able to easily find a Wallyworld to park at.

Overall with the large bright screen, loud voice, very customizable features, and Allstays Data I was pretty impressed with the unit and I don't get impressed very easily.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The GPS also has bar on the bottom that toggles between three setting: next cross street, township information, or street you are driving on.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
The more I play with it the more I Like it.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jwedell

The more I play with it the more I Like it.
I agree. I've got about 3,700 miles on mine now and I am very pleased with it.

It provides a bunch of data (and I'm a data nut) If you tap on the speed icon you have those 3 tabs for trip data that you can customize the refresh rates. I have one that gives me daily data - one for the total trip - and one for everything to date.

With the allstays data it makes it real easy for me to plan my fuel stops, find places to shop or stay overnight.

So far I haven't found anything that I really dislike about it.

Soon I'll want to see how (if) I can match up a wireless backup camera to it. If I can do that I'll be a happy camper.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Greg,
Contact dieselboss for an interface cable for the camera.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote